Books about Ibiza?

However i'd just like to know if the establishments mentioned in the book 'Antonia's Fisherman's Bar' & the Cosmis Hotel are still in the town?

If you can believe Elliot Paul's description and maps of 1936, Antonia's Fisherman's Bar was where Cosmi stands today, whilst the original Cosmi's Hotel stood a few doors along from The Royalty on Calle San Jaime.

map_paul_big.gif

Apart from Eulalia Noguera who from reading other posts on here i believe is still living in the town at the grand old age of 90 something & who is also described in the book as being the then modern day Ibenco Joan of Arc. Is it possible that other real life characters portrayed in the book can still seen knocking about Santa Eulalia today or even that of family members?

The fishermen & their families
Storekeepers
Artisans and Mechanics
Farmers & Landowners
Women & young girls

and the list goes on...

Look's like on our next trip i'll be paying a visit to the church perched overlooking the town to see if i can find any family names associated with the book. Morbid i know, but when i'm in Santa Eulalia i try for visiting this church atleast once during a hot afternoon for finding peace & tranquilty walking around it's graveyard. The missus, well she prefer's staying down below walking about town given that such an afternoon's activity give's her & our friend's wife the creeps:lol:

Regards

Is it possible that other real life characters portrayed in the book can still seen knocking about Santa Eulalia today or even that of family members?

Just read the postscript at back of the book that most of the male characters that 'Elliot Paul' portrayed were taken away by Italian & rebel troops who then executed them.:(
I'm surprised that Italian tourists are very popular on the Island today after such barbaric action?:x

^
The last time I was there,in the little rememberance garden, I noticed that a woman had joined her late husband almost exactly fifty years later,makes you think....

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised there isn't a more recent Rough Guide to Ibiza than the pocket guide from 2003, when so much has changed since then.

Perhaps one of the mods could write one?!

I´ve got a book "from" Tom Kristensen(he was a danish writer) he was in Ibiza in 1926,27 or 28.

I read quite a few of these type books, Casa trippi, letters from Ibiza, Ibiza Rocked etc but The White Island is more my sort of book, instead of a story you get to learn a bit more about the place. What we could do with is a book on someone's experiences on moving there, unless there is a book already out there?

started The White Island the other night and about a third of the way through and enjoying it but there does seem to be an awful lot of history involved...

how about,

Is harry on the boat?

or Is harry on the boat yet?

or, a bus could run you over?

three trashy ibiza books but a good read:)

Reading a bus could now...

Have read the other 2 as well. Definitely trashy but i love them all the same.

Back