Who here speaks spanish then?

OllieNotts

Advice on the best way to learn please. I bought some CD's for my lorry from some old guy who is now dead but very famous for learning language cd's. I thought it was pretty crap but I think 1-2-1 would be better for me. So is it worth paying £10 an hour to learn? And if so how many hours per week should I be looking to have? I dont expect fluency in 3 months but being able to hold a day to day convo with a local in June would be nice. College are doing free holiday spanish soon is it worth doing that?
Last time I said buenos noches to a cab driver he laughed really loud and said "good one, buenos noches" while shaking his head in hysterical disbelief which then set my mrs off laughing to :oops:
I am gonna need it some day to for when I eventually live there ;):p8)

Buenos dias! I'm also about to start a Spanish course through work. Done a bit of Spanish in the past and know the basics but want to get futher than ordering a cerveza or a bocadillo!

Buenos dias! I'm also about to start a Spanish course through work. Done a bit of Spanish in the past and know the basics but want to get futher than ordering a cerveza or a bocadillo!

Im at about that stage too......starting a 6 week course soon.

Its all about the pronunciation and nothing beats a one to one and being around the language as much as possible. You would be surprised at how much you pick up if you listen. My biggest problem is the speed at which the locals speak.....

Im at about that stage too......starting a 6 week course soon.

Its all about the pronunciation and nothing beats a one to one and being around the language as much as possible. You would be surprised at how much you pick up if you listen. My biggest problem is the speed at which the locals speak.....

I find that to, you can read the spanish and pronounce it pretty ok. Then when they say it back warp speed Im like WTF :lol: Guess I will start looking on gumtree for a tutor then..

I was nearly fluent when I finished school but it's been 20-odd years (and I've filled my brain with Russian since) so all out the window!

I surprised myself this past trip. Found myself saying and understanding more than I thought I could, and more than in recent years. Still very basic though!

I tried that Rosetta Stone program for a while but it had me repeating words I mostly already knew as opposed to re-learning all the verbs and grammar I forgot.

I find that to, you can read the spanish and pronounce it pretty ok. Then when they say it back warp speed Im like WTF :lol: Guess I will start looking on gumtree for a tutor then..

Yes, they will speak slowly if they think you have basic but sound like you can speak it fluently and they go to warp drive allright :)

Ever listen to when 2 spanish people are arguing???

Now thats off the speed charts! They only slow down to emphasise a derogatory word

speak speak speak..
thats the only way you can learn.

It would help if you could speak with someone who can correct you.

Becki, I'll charge you £10 per hour if you need any help ;)

speak speak speak..
thats the only way you can learn.

It would help if you could speak with someone who can correct you.

Becki, I'll charge you £10 per hour if you need any help ;)

Oh yeah? I've heard about your "helping"! ;) :lol:

Well let's say that at Fabric's birthday we shall only speak Spanish to eachother all night.... let's see how we get on! :lol:

I used the Michelle Thomas CDs and enrolled in a weekly class, then had a year off Coz was studying another course which took over my life!
Just starting Spanish class again Tomoz tho no hope of being fluent or Even good unless living amongst it daily
Every time I'm there I speak and listen to as much Spanish as poss, I'd rather make a fool of myself trying to speak Spanish than not try at all. And I always tell people I need to practice and can they please talk slowly! And thankfully they always oblige ;)

Try reading Spanish stuff online to, watching films, listening to podcasts, there's loads a stuff out there
I just keep telling myself one day il be fluent :) and I will !!

I'm happy to practice Spanish via skype if we cud work it

Good luck ;)

Oh yeah? I've heard about your "helping"! ;) :lol:

Well let's say that at Fabric's birthday we shall only speak Spanish to eachother all night.... let's see how we get on! :lol:

Cool. You, me and Villalobos will have a good natter

I moved to Spain and had a crash course. Very few people where I lived spoke English. You learn much faster if you are hearing it everyday. I would go home and watch movies in Spanish with English subtitles, this allowed me to learn at a higher pace and I didn't get overwhelmed with the speed. Another trick that I learned was to ignore words I didn't know get the jest of the sentence and figure out the word I didn't know from the context. I used Berlitz to try to expand my vocabulary because it had read and speak with your mic. It helped me out.

Yo estudié en clases nocturnas en la universidad local por 3 años y estar en una clase ayudado sin duda. Es divertido mucho más y de empezar a recoger conversación en español. estar en una clase también se acumula el confidence. cualquier persona puede aprender, pero tener la audacia de hacer la primera conversación con el conductor del taxi en Ibiza puede ser un poco de miedo

confidence-should have gone on 4 year course (detention required)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yo estudié en clases nocturnas en la universidad local por 3 años y estar en una clase ayudado sin duda. Es divertido mucho más y de empezar a recoger conversación en español. estar en una clase también se acumula el confidence.anybody puede aprender, pero tener la osadía de hacer esa primera conversación con el conductor del taxi en Ibiza puede ser un poco inestable

love the spanglish :lol: ;)

Not too badly written to say the truth! 8)

Start my Spanish lessons next Tuesday. I shall be translating the works of Shakespeare and posting them on here the morning after!

Mucho Gusto!

Back