Which Laptop?

A

andyallwood

Ok, so which is the best laptop to use if you were using Serato or Traktor etc?

Are Mac's just said to be better because they look prettier, or do they really have something that the rest don't?

What would be the best 'spec' to get?

Thanks for your help 8)

I'm a PC.

Macs are pretty and all that, but keep in mind it's a different operating system. It's very easy to use but if you've used Windows PCs all along it'll take getting used to and it's much less configurable (for people like me who like to tweak things). You'll also get less computer power for your money - these days Apple is basically a luxury brand and little more.

Get yourself a Windows 7 PC (go for Win 7 Professional or Ultimate if you can) with an Intel Core i7 processor. Look for the phrase "Sandy Bridge" somewhere in the specs as well - this is the latest version of the processor (available in Win PCs for a couple of months now, only recently introduced in Macs). Windows 7 was a massive step forward and easily as good if not better than Mac OS.

Sony has a sweet little laptop with a 13-inch screen and Core i7 that is super-portable, but it'll set you back a few bob.

I've got a Dell Studio XPS 16 which has a Core i7 and a gorgeous 16-inch RGB monitor with full HD resolution. It's a little large for travel but not too bad, and it's got power to spare.

I would go with a Macbook Pro (although Windows based laptops have caught up over the years)

Reasons:

• Apple provides a Software Developer Kit that people and companies who write software for Mac have to adhere to so there will usually be less conflicts

• Plug and play, no or fewer conflicts and driver issues (my mate who has a PC is amazed how quick it is to set things up on a mac compared to the problems he has with his laptop)

• Macbooks hold their value better than other PC

• They are normally quieter, great for music production

• With the Mac all motherboards come from Apple. The OS comes from Apple. Apple puts together all the machines after a lot of testing. There is far less of a chance of failure, which is essential for DJing purposes

• Macs don't have the problems that PCs have with viruses

• The Mac provides better access to your MIDI and Audio systems in Audio/MIDI Utility

• You cant get logic for a PC

If you look at any professional DJ, they will have a Macbook Pro as it is reliable and stable. It does cost more, but my opinion is that it is well worth it.

Mac PowerBook Pro out yesterday.

Mac's are made for the creative industries...I'm not into computer geekery at all but just looking at a PC makes me a bit sick into the back of my mouth.

They are cheaper though I guess but still, bleurgh.

It all depends on how future proof you want it to be. I run Ableton and Cuebase off a newish Dual core, 4gb ram Windows 7 laptop and it copes with everything i can throw at it. Trackor and Serato are not that power hungry to need a i7 processor if the budget is tight.

Serato Minimum Spec

Intel processor, 1.6 GHz or better 2 GB RAM

Tracktor Min Spec

Intel® Pentium 4® 2.4 GHz or Intel® Core™ Duo or AMD Athlon™ 64, 2 GB RAM

So even the i3 chip with a decent amount of ram will run them comfortably under Win 7

• Apple provides a Software Developer Kit that people and companies who write software for Mac have to adhere to so there will usually be less conflicts

• Plug and play, no or fewer conflicts and driver issues (my mate who has a PC is amazed how quick it is to set things up on a mac compared to the problems he has with his laptop)

• Macbooks hold their value better than other PC

• They are normally quieter, great for music production

• With the Mac all motherboards come from Apple. The OS comes from Apple. Apple puts together all the machines after a lot of testing. There is far less of a chance of failure, which is essential for DJing purposes

• Macs don't have the problems that PCs have with viruses
- What conflicts? My Win programs all work fine and I've got serious software on my comp. Windows also publishes APIs for programmers (my programmer brother has a subscription... it's helped me get software for free 8))

- Plug & play on Win 7 works flawlessly.

- They're way more expensive, so I hope so!

- How so? The fan on my wife's MacBook runs no less than the one on my Win 7 PC. Fans depend on processor load.

- Again, a good machine from a good manufacturer won't have "failures". And don't forget that Macs have Intel processors and i/o adapters, AMD or Nvidia graphics cards, hard drives from whomever, etc.... it's a myth that Apple makes all the parts.

- There are viruses for Mac. You should have anti-virus software on any computer.

i've got a 13inch macbook pro, had it for nearly 2 years now. would never go back now, when I go on my girlfriends windows laptop it does my head in. saying this I haven't been on windows 7 yet, it does look good on the adverts but everything normally does so I guess its up to you to have a play around on both options and go from there.

- What conflicts? My Win programs all work fine and I've got serious software on my comp. Windows also publishes APIs for programmers (my programmer brother has a subscription... it's helped me get software for free 8))

- Plug & play on Win 7 works flawlessly.

- They're way more expensive, so I hope so!

- How so? The fan on my wife's MacBook runs no less than the one on my Win 7 PC. Fans depend on processor load.

- Again, a good machine from a good manufacturer won't have "failures". And don't forget that Macs have Intel processors and i/o adapters, AMD or Nvidia graphics cards, hard drives from whomever, etc.... it's a myth that Apple makes all the parts.

- There are viruses for Mac. You should have anti-virus software on any computer.

Maybe some fair points, but Macbook Pro is the industry standard for a reason. Look at any Musician / DJ and they use a Macbook Pro.

Macbook Pro everytime.

I have recently got the Trakto Kontrol S4 and use this with Ableton - The Mac is quick, and does everything i tell it too.

If you look at the Native Instruments forum almost most of the people having problems are PC users. Macbook and theres no doubt in my mind about that.

Dave

Maybe some fair points, but Macbook Pro is the industry standard for a reason. Look at any Musician / DJ and they use a Macbook Pro.
I have noticed that. Probably at least 90% of DJs. Honestly? I think it's a fad. Herd mentality. Left over from the days when Macs were the only choice for music production as sequencing came around (back when I had a Mac in the early 1990s) and when Windows was less stable (really up until Win XP SP2)

I use Ableton on my PC. Works great. I also do video editing and graphics... all the stuff that art world people insist must be done on Mac.

I'd go for a mac, started using them about 5 years ago and can't stand using PCs anymore, I know it sounds fanboy-ish, but I just prefer the way they work / look and I've had no trouble with them at all!

Just piked up a late 2010 13" macbook pro for £350 - bargain :)

Get the best of both worlds, get a Macbook Pro and Bootcamp with Windows 7. You then have 2 computers in one. :D

I've been a PC user from the beginning, DJed since 1998 with them. Last August I bought my first Macbook Pro i7 and have never looked back. I still have 2 of my former DJ PC computers which are still going strong, but, I find I now use the Mac for everything.

For DJ/VJing I have the Macbook Bootcamped with Windows 7. I use the W7 side for all DJ/VJing, although I have the same DJ program on the Mac side. The reason is simple, the PC version of VirtualDJ Pro 7 has lots of video effects and transitions which the Mac side does not. I make my living DJ/VJing at my regular residencies every week presenting full video discos and have never had a problem with the Mac. When using PCs I often had video problems.

I also use Sony Vegas and Soundforge on the W7 side and have Abelton Live on there too.

For everything else I use the Mac side including using the Internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mac. I have a "relatively good (meaning 1000+ euros) " Compaq with Windows Vista and it has some performance issues with Serato. What I've tried Serato with Mac I've noticed that these issues are not there and because I use the laptop only for Serato, it doesn't matter if the system is different from windows.

So, get a mac. They are also cooler looking. You get scene points with that logo, you know.

well looks like the majority are going with Mac, thanks for all your input, some interesting points, cheers. 8)

Back