Which clubs/parties based on music preferences

magicsalsa

All,

I'm still doing research on what clubs/parties to attend on specific nights according to my musical tastes. So far, it's not going so well (my technique is cutting/pasting the DJs and artist names from the music forum into youtube or google to hear a sampling). So, I thought I'd describe my music tastes here in the hopes that some of you veterans can steer me in the right direction.

Although I like all types of dance music, there are certain types that get my butt on the dance floor more than others. For the most part, it's disco or funky house. However, the main reason it's these types of music is because there happens to be more musicianship involved (in a general sense). So, I would like any type of music that incorporates vocals, strings, horns, guitar, etc. I don't particularly care for music that sounds like the keyboardist only has one key working on the keyboard or something a ten-year old can do in Garageband (I'm a musician myself, hence the sensitivity in this area).

So, I'm really into artists like Freemasons and Jamiroquai (I will be catching Freemasons on 12 Aug @ Space, of course). Some DJ's I've liked include Oliver Lang and Steve Mac. Right now, I'm listening to Kraak and Smaak, which I dig. My goal is to have a baseline of nights that I can deviate from a little in order to take in some techno or other stuff. I will be in Ibiza for two weeks, so there's plenty of time for me to catch a variety of stuff. I just need to identify the must-attend nights for myself.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

m

Hey there. Sounds like you'd do well with almost any night at Pacha or El Divino. Most nights at either club are either straight-up house or funky house (and Pacha also always has the funky room in the back). Check out Release Yourself w/ Roger Sanchez, Subliminal w/ Erick Morillo, F*** Me I'm Famous with David Guetta (warning: that night gets super packed and has a high cheese factor) - all at Pacha, or something like Soul Heaven w/Louie Vega, MN2S or Hed Kandi at El Divino.

We Love @ Space on Sundays, a party that starts in the early evening, has a mix of styles depending on which DJs are playing the main rooms but the outdoor sunset terrace, which stays open to midnight, would be right up your alley.

You'll definitely want to head down to the beach bar Bora Bora as Oliver Lang is one of the residents there. There's dancing out on the beach from late afternoon on.

Many of the people on here aren't fans of the 2 superclubs in San Antonio but they do have some nights that might suit your taste - Pukka Up at Es Paradis or Wonderland at Eden, for example.

With many of these nights, there will be variances in style depending on who the guest DJs are. Check out the Ibiza Spotlight party calendar (link at the top of this page) and see who's playing when you're there!

Thanks

Thanks for the advice - will incorporate it into the master plan.

"F*** Me I'm Famous with David Guetta (warning: that night gets super packed and has a high cheese factor)"

What exactly makes a club/party have a high cheese factor? Is it solely because they play disco house? Or is it because everyone is wearing glitter boots and jumping around screaming, "Ouch! The dance floor is on fire!"

m

**** me I'm famous is just far too cheesy and 'commercial' in my opinon... but it sounds like it could be what you're after. Matinee is pretty housey too however many people, myself included, are a bit weary of how it's going to be as a night party ( considering it used to eb a daytiem party.. one of the best... better than We Love in my opinion)

However some people on this board went to the Matinee opening party and gave it good reviews. That being said, Matinee can be quite hands in the air as well. ... just think the atmosphere will change completely as a night time party.

I wouldn't limit yourself to a certain type of music as Ibiza is a place to discover new types of music, even if you don't like minimal now, you could leave ibiza being a huge minimal fan... and I wouldn't say it has anything to do with being less of a musician.

Danny tenaglia's night may be goood.. My favourites on the island are Cocoon, Carl cox and Matinee (when it was a daytime party) but have had excellent nights at many.

I guess it all depends on musical tastes, but I would not go to cream or guetta's night.. it just holds no interest for me.

Good and Bad

I'm there for 14 straight days. I plan to club almost every night I'm there, so I'll definitely be looking for other types of music as well (14 nights of disco house is a bit boring).

Is breakbeat big in Ibiza? It was fairly big in San Francisco in April '07 when I was there, but I wouldn't doubt they're behind the curve a bit.

So, Cafe del Mar sounds like the place for chillout. What about trance? Balearic beat? Acid house? I wouldn't mind catching some jazz or live band as well while I'm there.

The feedback has helped - thanks. I was having a hard time identifying the parties/clubs with styles of music to generally expect there on particular nights.

m

Will the **** me I'm famous night be playing your random old school cheesy music that you would hear in the UK? I do agree that 24/7 hardcore dance music would grate on you every night !

Thankyou.

Is breakbeat big in Ibiza? It was fairly big in San Francisco in April '07 when I was there, but I wouldn't doubt they're behind the curve a bit.

So, Cafe del Mar sounds like the place for chillout. What about trance? Balearic beat? Acid house? I wouldn't mind catching some jazz or live band as well while I'm there.

The feedback has helped - thanks. I was having a hard time identifying the parties/clubs with styles of music to generally expect there on particular nights.

m
I haven't noticed much in the way of breaks around the island. I'm sure there's something but not much.

Maybe try People from Ibiza at Amnesia for a little Belearic flavor.

For trance, you're choices include Tiesto at Privilege, and Armada and Cream at Amnesia (warning: Cream gets packed. Armada is said to be good value).

Cocoon is a great choice for a techno night.

I actually prefer Cafe Mambo to Cafe del Mar if you want to catch a sunset in San Antonio's sunset strip. Aside from sunset, the only other reason to venture over to that area would be to get a drink at Mambo's pre-parties (often with headlining DJs from Pacha's nights)

It's a bit out of the way, but get yourself up to the village of San Jose on a Thursday or Friday evening for live music Raco Verde. Nice restaurants around too so head out for dinner beforehand.

Will the **** me I'm famous night be playing your random old school cheesy music that you would hear in the UK? I do agree that 24/7 hardcore dance music would grate on you every night !

Thankyou.

No its not cheesy like that.
Not from when I went anyway, but that was about 2 years ago. I didnt find it that commercial....mostly stuff I didnt know, non vocal stuff too.

Guetta is a bit of a chameleon. 3 or 4 years ago I saw him play some very good sets. Some bordering on progressive house with the occasional hands-up moment.

But he's too focused on the glamour thing now. At FMIF last year it was pure gouda. Gorzongola central. Sets of mostly songs you hear on the radio.

I have to be honest and say that before I went Ibiza I liked a bit of everything, commercial and non commercial but I am not one that is up there with their DJ knowledge......and I do have many Hed Kandis and "commercial" type CDs in my collection. But that aside when I actually went to Ibiza I found I didnt hear one commercial song in all the nights we went to. It was mostly unknown.

The only song I do remember hearing was Put your hands up for Detroit and that was before it was released in the UK and everyone went mad for it.

Morrillo is really unpredictable... Out of no where he dropped 'Don't stop til you get enough' - Michael Jackson.

Lets just say I nearly needed a clean pair of shorts!
J

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrillo is really unpredictable... Out of no where he drop 'Don't stop til you get enough' - Michael Jackson.

Lets just say I nearly needed a clean pair of shorts!
J

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you should just go along and see what you think. You can get an idea on here but its still what you make it.

Litten Tree Pub (High Street Brentwood) :lol:;)

ha ha!

Seriously, are there any clubs that play R& B?

It seems that so many people here are against any other types of music to Dance.

I love going out & listening to all forms of Dance music & used to regularly frequent Passion, Gods Kitchen & Crasher but I do not restrict myself to just 1 music type-
nor do i assume everyone that likes R&B carries a gun & has attitude!

If i like something then i like it- regardless

Hey there. Sounds like you'd do well with almost any night at Pacha or El Divino. Most nights at either club are either straight-up house or funky house (and Pacha also always has the funky room in the back). Check out Release Yourself w/ Roger Sanchez, Subliminal w/ Erick Morillo, F*** Me I'm Famous with David Guetta (warning: that night gets super packed and has a high cheese factor) - all at Pacha, or something like Soul Heaven w/Louie Vega, MN2S or Hed Kandi at El Divino.

We Love @ Space on Sundays, a party that starts in the early evening, has a mix of styles depending on which DJs are playing the main rooms but the outdoor sunset terrace, which stays open to midnight, would be right up your alley.

You'll definitely want to head down to the beach bar Bora Bora as Oliver Lang is one of the residents there. There's dancing out on the beach from late afternoon on.

Many of the people on here aren't fans of the 2 superclubs in San Antonio but they do have some nights that might suit your taste - Pukka Up at Es Paradis or Wonderland at Eden, for example.

With many of these nights, there will be variances in style depending on who the guest DJs are. Check out the Ibiza Spotlight party calendar (link at the top of this page) and see who's playing when you're there!

It's funny you mentioned this mate, as i found Eden to be the least pretentious of all the clubs i was in.;)

Back