What's with the lame hired dancers?

Dancing2000

Warning: Rant Ahead

Things certainly have changed since techno went mainstream.... Now at almost every big gig there can be found some hired "dancers" (if that's what they call it), who are usually female, and spend most of their time gyrating their hips and and doing other (for lack of a better phrase) 'stripper moves'.

I like all sorts of rave/techno/party dancing but that MTV-bikini-clad-high-heel-Destiny's Child-stripper type of dancing isn't what I would call dancing per say.

For some reason the event holders these days either can't remember the "old school dancers" (as they've been called) found on most dance floors throughout the 90s who actually could mix the shuffle, skip-hops, etc and go crazy that would do a far better job of setting a party off, or they believe that this is what will make money. AKA they have sold out. For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, the silhouettes in the first minutes (e.g. 0.33 sec) of this classic clip -

youtube.com/watch?v=onsdRvqsRxw

will show how long it's been since we've been dancing and how a paid dancer *could look if the event holders weren't so focused on selling such a deviant orientated event. Which is of course a far cry from the original intent of the scene; just to point out the obvious.

Warning: Rant Ahead

Things certainly have changed since techno went mainstream.... Now at almost every big gig there can be found some hired "dancers" (if that's what they call it), who are usually female, and spend most of their time gyrating their hips and and doing other (for lack of a better phrase) 'stripper moves'.

I like all sorts of rave/techno/party dancing but that MTV-bikini-clad-high-heel-Destiny's Child-stripper type of dancing isn't what I would call dancing per say.

For some reason the event holders these days either can't remember the "old school dancers" (as they've been called) found on most dance floors throughout the 90s who actually could mix the shuffle, skip-hops, etc and go crazy that would do a far better job of setting a party off, or they believe that this is what will make money. AKA they have sold out. For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, the silhouettes in the first minutes (e.g. 0.33 sec) of this classic clip -

youtube.com/watch?v=onsdRvqsRxw

will show how long it's been since we've been dancing and how a paid dancer *could look if the event holders weren't so focused on selling such a deviant orientated event. Which is of course a far cry from the original intent of the scene; just to point out the obvious.

what's your point, caller?

btw - they're called go-go girls and they've been around like forever

and you will never find one at any techno club

Agree (and don't want to miss out on a rant) :lol:

I can't bear them either.

I do however LOVE watching slutty ladies on podiums who really do know how to move properly (normally found at Pacha).

Matinee dancers get on my t!ts the most, they stand around in sunglasses pouting and posing in ridiculous feathered outfits.

Techno should be about dingy basements on the edge of the law, smack heads and topless German skinheads doing marching dances, not playboy glamour and vip enclosures ffs. :rolleyes: :lol:

still confused by the OP

is he saying that gogo dancers are wrong per se

or merely in a "techno club" ?

what's your point, caller?

it would be nice if the stripping scene was left out of the dance scene and how its such a shame that most who earned their reputation in the original pre-mainstream days don't mind playing at a gig that has such a low-vibe display on

aka would be nice if some of those involved didn't sell out constantly and the true vibe was carried on :)

btw - they're called go-go girls and they've been around like forever

and you will never find one at any techno club

lol I just watched a clip of Dave Guetta at Pacha and....like most events the old timers (Sasha, Tiesto, etc, etc) play at they're there

fyi - go-go girls haven't been around forever except in strip bars. look up The Universe Tribal Gathering, or any other major event from the 90s and you won't see any "go-go" girls on stage. One of the groups to maintain their integrity - The Prodigy - still to this day do their gigs in a true dance event way and don't *use* women like this.

Agree (and don't want to miss out on a rant) :lol:

I can't bear them either.

I do however LOVE watching slutty ladies on podiums who really do know how to move properly (normally found at Pacha).

Matinee dancers get on my t!ts the most, they stand around in sunglasses pouting and posing in ridiculous feathered outfits.

Techno should be about dingy basements on the edge of the law, smack heads and topless German skinheads doing marching dances, not playboy glamour and vip enclosures ffs. :rolleyes: :lol:

rants can be fun :D

lol - I just posted a comment about an event at Pacha - but good to hear there's at least some paid ones who can move without sinking to those levels :)

*not playboy glamour - agree with you 100%

sorry, I was referring to mainstream clubs not raves

*although certain jungle raves did have go-go girls

still confused by the OP

is he saying that gogo dancers are wrong per se

or merely in a "techno club" ?

at a dance event (indoor/outdoor) stripper dancers (go-go is far too kind a description) are wrong...methodically shaking hips/chest around over and over is hardly uplifting...belongs in a strip club :)

I totally agree with you, it's basically part of a broader trend by clubs to package themselves as 'sexy' environments. It's bull$hit - which is why some of us are so militant about resisting it

lol I just watched a clip of Dave Guetta at Pacha and....like most events the old timers (Sasha, Tiesto, etc, etc) play at they're there

fyi - go-go girls haven't been around forever except in strip bars. look up The Universe Tribal Gathering, or any other major event from the 90s and you won't see any "go-go" girls on stage. One of the groups to maintain their integrity - The Prodigy - still to this day do their gigs in a true dance event way and don't *use* women like this.

My friend was a gogo dancer in planet erotica at Tribal Gathering.

I love a bit of sleaze myself but it has to be done in a way that's subversive in order to be cool.

i.e. - Torture Garden/Burlesque/tranny trash and not naff girly strippers.

PS - on another subject - if you know about Universe (officially my favourite party ever)...what ever happened to MC Ribbz?

I loved him and he appears to have disappeared off the planet.

My friend was a gogo dancer in planet erotica at Tribal Gathering.

I love a bit of sleaze myself but it has to be done in a way that's subversive in order to be cool.

i.e. - Torture Garden/Burlesque/tranny trash and not naff girly strippers.

lol oops - thx for pointing that out. I forgot about the PErotica section of Tribal Gathering - notably they weren't part of the inception of Tribal Gathering and not long after they went that way and were gaining massive attention the event holder's group went their seperate ways..

If these semi naked dancers offend your eyes that much simply don't look at them!

looking around an event is half the attraction...taking in the scene (no pun intended!)

and don't you worry I don't look at them for long but it's a shame to find such a low level display of behavior at what is supposed to be humankind's advanced form of entertainment

furthermore it's a waste of an opportunity to pay those who actually do understand dancing (in the dance scene) and their talents that not only include dancing up a storm but interpreting the ebb and flow of the music in a far superior way to riding an imaginary pole all night

was the username DancingNineties taken?

no idea...2000AD was more my impetus there fyi...

90s were good and I thought the 2000s would be even better...magnetic/air engine cars...better schools/hospitals...maybe less poverty...more open minded parties with DJs who played even more kickin...

obviously wasn't thinking clearly lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to see more proper dancers out - used to see people breakdancing or doing floor moves all the time in clubs, irrespective of what was being played.

I saw the jazzcotech dancers at the jazz cafe a while back and they are brilliant.

something like the shelter but in London would be great too, where the emphasis is amazing dancing, but not sure it would ever work here at morning parties where everyone is just too kippered to care.

Back