What's with adults into teen fiction?

Johnny Vodka

Like Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, etc. I can see how the films might reach a wider audience, but aren't the books definitely packaged for kids? Don't you feel a bit daft reading these on the train rather than the latest Ian McEwan or whatever? :lol:

Both those series have been going for a good few years. Maybe they were teens when they started reading them?

Like Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, etc. I can see how the films might reach a wider audience, but aren't the books definitely packaged for kids? Don't you feel a bit daft reading these on the train rather than the latest Ian McEwan or whatever? :lol:

Have you ever read any of the aforementioned books?

Any book that gets people reading is great in my eyes.

Not everybody wants to sit down with a book and have their brains taxed by that latest thriller, but want to chill out and use it for escapism.

Have you ever read any of the aforementioned books?

They're teen fiction and I'm 36, so that would be a no. I don't watch Teletubbies either. :lol:

I might watch The Hunger Games at some point. The actress in that was awesome in Winter's Bone, though the idea's been done elsewhere for adults loads of times.

The wife tried to get me into the Potter books, about half way into the first page when reading about a cat turning into an owl or something, I sacked it. The wife devoured each one as it was realised!

I am surprised that the Harry Potter books are as popular amongst adults as they are.

But, I don't think there is anything wrong with reading them if they were your bag.

They are apparently well written, intelligent books.

Which is more than can be said about the majority of newpapers, blogs, TV Crap and magazines out there....

Harmless escapism!

They are apparently well written, intelligent books.

Which is more than can be said about the majority of newpapers, blogs, TV Crap and magazines out there....

Your last point is fair enough, but I would have thought teen fiction would be written in a less sophisticated manner than adult fiction and maybe in bigger print? :lol: Maybe English standards now are such that teen fiction is the limit for many adults? :spank:

I kinda think reading takes effort anyway, so you may as well read a book you'll get something from!

Your last point is fair enough, but I would have thought teen fiction would be written in a less sophisticated manner than adult fiction and maybe in bigger print? :lol: Maybe English standards now are such that teen fiction is the limit for many adults? :spank:

I kinda think reading takes effort anyway, so you may as well read a book you'll get something from!

I love to read and regularly read 2 books a week. I have read the potters and the Hunger games and enjoyed them both. I think the beauty of them it as Mark said they are well written books and anyone can enjoy them plus they are not dumbed down in any way.

Both are far better written than anything Dan Brown has put out and he has sold Millions of books.

Anything that gets people reading is a good thing imo.

Pixar films are supposed to be for kids but they are just great films imo.

Rob age 32 and a half ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I love to read and regularly read 2 books a week. I have read the potters and the Hunger games and enjoyed them both. I think the beauty of them it as Mark said they are well written books and anyone can enjoy them plus they are not dumbed down in any way.

Both are far better written than anything Dan Brown has put out and he has sold Millions of books.

Anything that gets people reading is a good thing imo.

Pixar films are supposed to be for kids but they are just great films imo.

Rob age 32 and a half ;)

8):lol:

I also tried the Harry Potter, but not for me either. So, not into teen fiction, but if others are then fair play.

Pixar and teen fiction are aimed at teens but have plots that will hold an adults attention. I wouldn't read the books because it is not my thing, but each to his/her own.

pixar films are fcukin great.

so much of it is aimed at adults. hundreds of jokes my kids don't get.

the film 'Up' had me in tears. totally sucker punched me.

last time i felt like that was in lassie come home when aged 6 3/4

pixar films are fcukin great.

so much of it is aimed at adults. hundreds of jokes my kids don't get.

the film 'Up' had me in tears. totally sucker punched me.

last time i felt like that was in lassie come home when aged 6 3/4
Same with me. Up was awesome.

Still haven't seen some of them (Cars, Monsters, Incredibles). Toy Story was pretty good.

I also liked Madagascar. I guess that's DreamWorks but still a good one.

Bleughh! Tom Hanks is one of the few actors whose films I'll now avoid. He's just so boring, but anyway...

Fair enough if adults want to enjoy this stuff (I do loads of things others wouldn't understand :lol:), just wondering why... I guess adults don't actually rake through the teen fiction shelves, just pick the books that are made into films and more widely promoted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back