What Decks?

diver

I would love to have a pair if CDJ 2000 Nexus and a DJM 900 Nexus, but WTF, how expensive are they!

Have any of you taken the plunge? (or indeed a second mortgage)

I am thinking of doing a 3 day crash course in Manchester. I have been on a 2 hour teaser with them, its one on one and I hopefully will be able to master the CDJs better. I can vinyl DJ to a reasonable standard:rolleyes:.

But..... I dont have anywhere to practice as my current set up is -

Crappy (but newish) HP Laptop
Traktor Pro (genuine copy)
Pioneer DJ Ergo V Controller
2 x Technics SL1200 (not in use as such)

I would like to run Pioneer Rekordbox, but my music is all over the place and my music file housekeeping is horrendously bad.

What set up do you all have?

Are you all self taught and is the course gonna be worth it? (Its 500 quid)

If you can already play on vinyl no need to waste £500 on learning cdjs :eek:
Loads of vids on YouTube to get up to speed and practise lots. Id love some nexus but can't afford any :(
Never used recordbox I can't be arsed organising music either :D

At the moment, 2 x CDJ 1000's (I hate them!), Pioneer DJM400 & 1 x Technics 1210 mk2.

If you can already mix with vinyl, you should pick up CDJ's with little practice.

2 X Technics 1210's
Denon DNS 1500 Mixer
2 X Traktor X1
Tratkor Scratch Pro

Why dont you use Traktor Scratch Pro with your decks with an X1 (so you don't need to touch your laptop) Great set up and you can keep the feel of mixing with Vinyl rather than pressing buttons?

*cracks fingers*

This is my current setup thats out in use:
2x Technic 1210 MK2s
2x Pioneer CDJ 400s
2x Pioneer CDJ 2000 Nexus'
1x Pioneer RMX 1000
1x Pioneer DJM 800 Mixer

To be honest, I think that the courses are a waste of time
If you're unsure, invest in something slightly cheaper, like the Pioneer XDJ-RX
I use Rekrodbox heavily with my 2000s.

Used to have 1210s , then had kids so had to make room for the toys . Sold them and then decided to buy a Newmark IDJ pro . ( the one where the apple ipad fits in the middle ) Which runs Algorridam djay app for apple .
If you have an ipad already the decks only cost £279 and for that price it's great value for money and they are of very good quality . Some people thrown upon it but I have a good mate who used to be a resident at turnmills London who done the same as me and swears by it. Great for the bedroom dj .

If you can already play on vinyl no need to waste £500 on learning cdjs :eek:
Loads of vids on YouTube to get up to speed and practise lots. Id love some nexus but can't afford any :(
Never used recordbox I can't be arsed organising music either :D

Problem I have Ollie is that I had to give up my previous DJ room to a child. I have got nowhere to set up the SL1200s. I bought them for a bit of nostalgia as I used to have a "cracking pair" in the past. I ended up buying another pair, one is still in the box and the other forms part of a middle aged mans hi-fi set up.

Its okay looking at vids on youtube, but its a bit like trying to learn to drive on youtube. I need to be hands on!

At the moment, 2 x CDJ 1000's (I hate them!), Pioneer DJM400 & 1 x Technics 1210 mk2.

If you can already mix with vinyl, you should pick up CDJ's with little practice.

Yeah, I can mix on vinyl fairly well (its been a long time)

I know a lot of clubs still have Technics but its not a standard set up these days.

As in Ollies post, I need to get hands on with the cdj2000s.

2 X Technics 1210's
Denon DNS 1500 Mixer
2 X Traktor X1
Tratkor Scratch Pro

Why dont you use Traktor Scratch Pro with your decks with an X1 (so you don't need to touch your laptop) Great set up and you can keep the feel of mixing with Vinyl rather than pressing buttons?

I had a feeling that this was your set up.

I just dont have the room for the decks tbh. I could find room maybe, but the missus would leave me (hang on, that gives me an idea). I probably would not have room for a CDJ set up, even if I could afford them.

As in above, most club/pub set ups are CDJ2000 now.

I want to take stuff to the next level now, hence the course, its a bit of an indulgence but my Mum has offered to pay.

*cracks fingers*

This is my current setup thats out in use:
2x Technic 1210 MK2s
2x Pioneer CDJ 400s
2x Pioneer CDJ 2000 Nexus'
1x Pioneer RMX 1000
1x Pioneer DJM 800 Mixer

To be honest, I think that the courses are a waste of time
If you're unsure, invest in something slightly cheaper, like the Pioneer XDJ-RX
I use Rekrodbox heavily with my 2000s.

Woah! (which is stop/wait in horse language)

That must have set you back a bit?

Suppose its soemthing that you do as a second income, yes?

Where have you got this set up?

Do you use memory sticks when you do a set at a club/bar and does rekordbox sort this out? It seems to be heavily based on itunes which is something Ive nit subscribed to.

My missus thinks I should spend £500 towards an Macbook pro?

I've got SL1210's and an old djm 600 mixer and I use traktor scratch but I seem to be buying more and more vinyl again these days. I had a two or three year period when I used cdj 400's with the same mixer. To be honest rather than go for the 2000's the cdj 400's (or whatever the current equivalent is) aren't a bad shout - all the basic functions are there, you're just missing out on the fancy screen etc but they are a fraction of the price and then if you play out somewhere you can still play on their setup without getting lost in the booth!

I'd save the £500 from the course and put that towards something else - a macbook is a good shout if you want to go down the tractor route. I know it's probably easier said than done with kids about but its all about practice on your own…especially if you can mix vinyl ok its the same principal.

I wouldn't bother with the course - if you can already mix on vinyl then it sounds like you pretty much know what you're doing anyway.

If you want to go down the CDJ route then get something like the CDJ 850's, 900's or XDJ1000. They're much cheaper than the 2000's but still have the standard Pioneer layout so it makes it very easy to jump on a set of 2000's in a club.

Personally I use Rekordbox and export to USB (or sometimes just link the decks to my PC which has all my music collection on using wifi at home). The last thing I want to is carry a laptop to a gig when I can just as easily put everything I need on a USB stick.

My home setup is:

2 x CDJ 900 Nexus
1 x XDJ 1000
1 x DJM 2000 Nexus

Decks.jpg
Decks.jpg

The 2 laptops are for streaming purposes.

...That must have set you back a bit?
Suppose its soemthing that you do as a second income, yes?
Where have you got this set up?
Do you use memory sticks when you do a set at a club/bar and does rekordbox sort this out? It seems to be heavily based on itunes which is something Ive nit subscribed to.
My missus thinks I should spend £500 towards an Macbook pro?
I use memory sticks when the venue has them, otherwise I use CDs (However, I burn very, very few CDs, usually tracks for a specific gig)
I don't have a second income, it's something I've built up over the last few years. RMX 1000 + 2x CDJ 2000 Nexus' were a Christmas present to myself last (50% deposit, 50% 0% interest loan I'll play off by Christmas this year). Much prefer my 2000s haha. Had enough to buy a set of CDJ 900 Nexus' outright, but decided to go down the 2000 route.
My entire collection is Rekordbox sorted to make my life easier. Went through that pain last year over the summer (before I got my 2000s)

...the cdj 400's (or whatever the current equivalent is) aren't a bad shout...
CDJ 350. I'd actually always go with at least the CDJ 850, better screen and a better jog wheel in comparison to the 350.

...1 x XDJ 1000, 1 x DJM 2000 Nexus...
Decks.jpg
What do you think to the XDJ 1000? What's the touch screen like to use?
And the DJM? Happy with it? That's likely to be my next upgrade (My own DJM 800 is my flat mates, which when I move out will be his again)

[QUOTE="Ikoda, post: 824358, member: 20056"
I don't have a second income, it's something I've built up over the last few years. [/QUOTE]

What I meant was, does the Trancsend stuff fund the decks? or is it not at that level yet?

I wouldn't bother with the course - if you can already mix on vinyl then it sounds like you pretty much know what you're doing anyway.

If you want to go down the CDJ route then get something like the CDJ 850's, 900's or XDJ1000. They're much cheaper than the 2000's but still have the standard Pioneer layout so it makes it very easy to jump on a set of 2000's in a club.

Personally I use Rekordbox and export to USB (or sometimes just link the decks to my PC which has all my music collection on using wifi at home). The last thing I want to is carry a laptop to a gig when I can just as easily put everything I need on a USB stick.

My home setup is:

2 x CDJ 900 Nexus
1 x XDJ 1000
1 x DJM 2000 Nexus

Decks.jpg
Decks.jpg

The 2 laptops are for streaming purposes.

The thing is Steve, I dont really have the room for a pair of decks and a mixer, nor can i really justify it to her indoors?

I could maybe "find room" if the price was right. Even the XDJ1000s are still a hefty tag. The 900 nexus look a good buy tbh.

If space is an issue then what about traktor S2 or S4? I had S2 which was great till I spilt beer all over it

What do you think to the XDJ 1000? What's the touch screen like to use?

Overall impression is good however I'm not entirely convinced by the touch screen. It works absolutely fine but it's just a bit slower to use than when you can quickly feel for a button on a normal CDJ. It's a good deck though and I'd recommend them.

And the DJM? Happy with it?

Really happy with it and wouldn't change it for anything. I know some people prefer the 900 nexus or A & H mixers so I think it just comes down to personal preference.

Back