venice question

stephen

Staff member
i'm having my annual end of season italian break in venice this year and rather than go onto a dedicated venice forum, or indeed read a guide book, i thought i'd consult the oracle that is the clubbing forum.

so..........

can anyone recommend a good car hire company in downtown venice?

I used hertz, the rental agency was in the city. Make sure you don't get an airport pick up, that is the default location. I had to tell them twice I was not coming into the airport and didn't request that location. I believe the name was Stazone? (spelling). The place was right in the city center.

i'm having my annual end of season italian break in venice this year and rather than go onto a dedicated venice forum, or indeed read a guide book, i thought i'd consult the oracle that is the clubbing forum.

so..........

can anyone recommend a good car hire company in downtown venice?

unless you plan on getting out of the city do not get a car at all... a day long water taxi (vespera or something in Italian...) will get you everywhere (with a bit of walking).

You may even want to try to get to Lido one day for an ok beach experience and a change of pace from city center.

I was just there for a week and stayed in Lido and tripped over to Venice 3 times.

Driving in venice = absolute nightmare. Strongly suggest if you are picking it up to go out to surrounding areas, take a vaporetto to Marco Polo Airport and collect one from there. For venice itself, use a boat :!:

once booked a Lagonda from a vip car hire co in Venice, got screwed and ended up with a gondola!

Dodgy car hire firms..

have to admit a Lagonda would have proved to be useless unless it had those F1 extremely wet tyres, the gondola on the other hand came with a chauffeur that could both sing opera and punt at the same time, unfortunately no cornetto's though which was a bit of a shame

Lotus_Esprit_S1_Spy_Who_Loved_Me.jpg

thanks for the input everyone. we've decided to forego the motor and instead go on some walking tours. however, i'm getting on a bit now so have to be careful where i go - 2 gammy knees and all that - so can anyone tell me if it's very hilly in venice city centre?

stenna would make a fortune if they opened a stair lift shop there, more stairs than Hogwarts in downtown Venice!

my experience of other such mountainous Alpine areas similar to Venice, is that they have drag lifts, cable cars and Gondolas...plenty of Gondolas in downtown Venice too so I think you will be fine

Back