Ushuaia...just not quite the same anymore

For a couple of years now we have been loving Ushuaia but this year it felt...different. It just was not the same anymore, for example we could not get a bottle of wine anymore for less than 70 (!) Euros, and it was not that busy really. A local friend told me that it was to do with tax (evasion) and closing time issues and them now charging people silly amounts to still get the money in. Any truth to this? Also Delano was absolutely dead every night. And what about Nassau with their ridiculous ropes around the sunbeds? Sad really. Nonetheless, we had one of our best holidays this year.

The team that ran Delano before has left, so that's no surprise.

Ushuaia drinks were expensive last season too (10 euro beers!) if you came at party time. Earlier in the day they had normal prices.

Its just another example of the greedy and unpleasant commercial direction that Ibiza is taking at the moment.

That unique, warm personality and welcome that Ibiza was admired for, is slowly dying and being replaced by people just there to make money.

Not all the Island is like this and there are still places where people welcome you with a smile and a chupito...........

Its just another example of the greedy and unpleasant commercial direction that Ibiza is taking at the moment..........

many would argue it's been that way for 20 years, or at least 10-15.

10 years ago a cocktail in the port cos more than one there today.

a ticket for a night like cream is still the same price, more or less, as it was 10 years ago.

some places are very expensive, it's always been like that, i don't think it's a new phenomenom, only that there are more of them and better known.

even the price of drinks in clubs has gone up slightly, certainly not with the rate of inflation.

many would argue it's been that way for 20 years, or at least 10-15.

10 years ago a cocktail in the port cos more than one there today.

a ticket for a night like cream is still the same price, more or less, as it was 10 years ago.

some places are very expensive, it's always been like that, i don't think it's a new phenomenom, only that there are more of them and better known.

even the price of drinks in clubs has gone up slightly, certainly not with the rate of inflation.

You are correct in what you say, but it was never as crass and greedy as it is becoming now. While you did pay the same price I felt there was a higher level of quality and service associated with the experience. You were made to feel welcome, offered a free chupito or given a discounted ticket into a club. Today some places want to see the size of your wallet before they decide what level of service they bestow on you.

I dont mind paying for a service or product once I feel im geting value for it. Today I walk into a club in Ibiza after maybe paying 40-60 and I dont feel like im getting the same value as I did before for my hard earned, especially when I see the growing areas reserved for VIP and the shortening sets of main act DJ's.

Maybe im just getting old.............

For a couple of years now we have been loving Ushuaia but this year it felt...different. It just was not the same anymore, for example we could not get a bottle of wine anymore for less than 70 (!) Euros, and it was not that busy really. A local friend told me that it was to do with tax (evasion) and closing time issues and them now charging people silly amounts to still get the money in. Any truth to this? Also Delano was absolutely dead every night. And what about Nassau with their ridiculous ropes around the sunbeds? Sad really. Nonetheless, we had one of our best holidays this year.

Did you try Ushuaia on a Friday night? Fridays with Tania Vulcano are very good

Back