US citizen here...Want to Move to Ibiza. Not sure if I can go first then get work, or vice-versa?

edxs

I've been doing a LOT of research on this for over a month now, But i just can't get a straight answer anywhere. I am planning to visit this summer since I have a ton of airline miles saved up. I'm going freelance pretty soon (online marketing, social media etc). I need to know if I can go first as a tourist, and if I happen to find work in that 90 day period - can I do the paperwork to become a resident? Some say no, some say yes. I have no idea. I just want to be able to go with the possibility of staying if I find work. Thanks!

From what I understand, the only way for us Americans to get an NIE number (which is sort of like a Spanish SSN) is to find a company in Spain willing to hire us and sponsor us for a work visa. I've heard this is pretty much impossible, because in order for Spanish companies to hire non-Spanish citizens, they basically have to prove that they couldn't find a single Spanish citizen who is eligible for the job. Considering the fact that Spain's unemployment rate is over 20%, and the fact that you'd just be doing freelance work, I think it's highly unlikely that you'd be able to find a company to sponsor you.

However, you might be able to get away with it if the freelance work you're doing is for companies back here in the States. I do freelance marketing for an EDM festival in Texas, and I get paid via Paypal, so I could theoretically spend a summer in Spain working freelance and nobody would be the wiser. (Unfortunately, the festival I'm referring to takes place next week, so I'll be getting my big payout before I ever get to Ibiza.)

Last edited:
kay is right with what he says in the first paragraph above.

regarding selling tickets on the beach without NIE and such...not so many of those jobs around anymore nowadays, more and more people are going official to prevent fines.

Awesome, thanks so much for the reply. I think the scenario you outlined will end up being the most likely. Although, I am still kind of hoping to find something that would enable me to stay past the 90 day limit. I'm just trying to get around that restriction. I have a couple freelance contracts I'm working on right now that will pay small amounts over the next 9 months in residuals, so I'm hoping to compound that with new contracts before I go.

In any case, we'll see what happens! My girlfriend and I will be going there for a couple weeks in early July, so I can definitely keep in touch. I went to Ibiza for the first time in 2010 and almost died of exhaustion (figuratively) but I had such a blast. I can't wait to go back...this time more daytime parties, and only cream of the crop nightlife. :)

Sounds great! I've never been so this is a whole new can of worms for me. Do you have your flights/accommodation sorted out?

Last edited:
Where'd you look for work? You're very lucky.

We don't have either flights or accommodation sorted out yet but I'm kind of a spontaneous traveler..I've been known to find some good deals last minute. The flight is fixed price anyways since I'm flying to Europe with airline miles. Last time I went, I stayed in San An, but I'm definitely not interested in staying there again...thinking Ibiza Town this trip. Do you recommend any hostels, or cheap budget hotels?

@edxs , maybe it's a little bit late and you've got it all sorted out, but if I was on a low budget, I'd look for rooms on milanuncios or idealista. These are free ad listing websites like Craigslist. Google the names of the websites with "ibiza habitacion alquiler", if you just need a room. You may need some Spanish speaking skills, as not all of the people, who list their rooms and apartments there speak any English. I think on idealista you can also search for a specific municipality of the island only.

What has been said earlier is correct. As a American citizen you essentially have no chance of getting an NIE in Spain. I am an English ex pat living in Spain and many other EU citizens have told me that the the Spanish authorities are only giving 3 month temporary NIE certificates which are pretty mush useless if you want to be legitimate here. This contravenes the EU treaties on free movement and equal opportunities for all EU citizens but the Spanish government don't seem bothered by their illegal activity.

Back