Umbrella Company Conundrum

Beckiboo

Not been on here in a while, but have a new dilemma which needs deciding and thought where better to ask for advice than the Spotlight board :D

Does anyone know anything about Umbrella Companies?

Basically, just returned from a year's travelling, looking for a job etc. Got a call 10 days ago about a temp job starting, very fast turnaround etc. I was advised the best method to get paid would be to join an Umbrella Company, who would do all my invoicing for me. Which I did.

I've now been paid my first 3 day's salary - of which £90 has been deducted in costs / admin fees. MUCH higher than the recruitment agent told me "oh around a tenner!" I really wish I'd just gone self employed and done my own finances.

Basically, I am worse off going through these guys and want to leave them. They've said I have to give 2 week's notice, of which they're just going to be pilfering away more money from my salary!

I have signed a contract which says I have to give them 2 weeks notice. If I breach this what will happen? I guess what's the liklihood of them following up anything?

Should I just suck it up and pay them their last 2 weeks?

Any advice appreciated!

Hey Becs!

I'd guess that if you signed a contract, you're pretty much bound to those terms.

Back