txt spk - to be made illegal?

WeLuvIbiza

If not, why not:lol::lol:

It seemed that txt spk was confined to younger people for a while. Sadly I am seeing more people my age (60's child) using some wierd dialect that appears to be no more than the random cobbling together of letters in text messages and on facebook (I don't use any other internet interactions sites like twitter etc).

Is txt spk simply being used by people who cannot spell and or have no understanding of basic grammar?

(Quite possibly set myself up for a fall with speiling and grammer mistakes galore!)

It seemed that txt spk was confined to younger people for a while. Sadly I am seeing more people my age (60's child) using some wierd dialect that appears to be no more than the random cobbling together of letters in text messages and on facebook (I don't use any other internet interactions sites like twitter etc).

Is txt spk simply being used by people who cannot spell and or have no understanding of basic grammar?

(Quite possibly set myself up for a fall with speiling and grammer mistakes galore!)

very funny!

lol

Perhaps I am just showing my age m8. Just like my late father moaning at me for not writing in the gorgeous copperplate he had been taught at school!

TRANSLATION: I think I'm clever than everyone else.

Have to admit that despite loving words and being a bit of a grammar fan, I find myself using some text speak these days. Keeping in touch with people on Blackberry messenger during a busy work day, I fire off messages in a second or two and one character 'u' is quicker than 3 'you'.

I rail at the text speak. If you have something to say. say it. IMO text has taken the place of conversation and what is meant does not always come across.

Have to admit that despite loving words and being a bit of a grammar fan, I find myself using some text speak these days. Keeping in touch with people on Blackberry messenger during a busy work day, I fire off messages in a second or two and one character 'u' is quicker than 3 'you'.

I am not a massive texter, this cud explain my victorian tendancies to shun the use of modern day shorthand!

Have mobiles done away with predictive text these days? I bought my wife a fairly cheap new phone recently and the feature she moans about not having the most is predictive text. Having taken a few years to become a past master in the use of predictive text she now takes ten minutes to write a text message!

I rail at the text speak. If you have something to say. say it. IMO text has taken the place of conversation and what is meant does not always come across.
I am not a massive texter, this cud explain my victorian tendancies to shun the use of modern day shorthand!

:lol::lol::lol:

I try to stay away from text speak, but admittedly can drop in an occasional "u" for "you" or other abbreviation due to either time constraints or trying to keep it to a single sms (160 characters). Drives me nuts when people use it outside of the phone texting realm...

:lol::lol::lol:

I try to stay away from text speak, but admittedly can drop in an occasional "u" for "you" or other abbreviation due to either time constraints or trying to keep it to a single sms (160 characters). Drives me nuts when people use it outside of the phone texting realm...
I made the mistake of meeting up with a group of people I knew from a message board. They had abbreviations for everything on the board and some of them were actually speaking in abbreviations when I met them in a hotel bar.
It was all like

rug? (are you gay?)
nurg (no you are gay)
urgm8 (you are gay mate)
nurgm8 (no you are gay mate)

It really did my head in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made the mistake of meeting up with a group of people I knew from a message board. They had abbreviations for everything on the board and some of them were actually speaking in abbreviations when I met them in a hotel bar.
It was all like

rug? (are you gay?)
nurg (no you are gay)
urgm8 (you are gay mate)

Like I said text speak can lead down the wrong road.:eek::lol::lol::lol:

... and some of them were actually speaking in abbreviations when I met them in a hotel bar.
It was all like

rug? (are you gay?)
nurg (no you are gay)
urgm8 (you are gay mate)

Funnily enough, there was a debate on the radio last week about this topic. A teen girl phoned in and said her friends actually say 'LOL' instead of actually laughing, I fear for the future.

Funnily enough, there was a debate on the radio last week about this topic. A teen girl phoned in and said her friends actually say 'LOL' instead of actually laughing, I fear for the future.

A girl at my last job did that. Cringe worthy.

Guy I work with uses LOL, OBV, OMG etc in spoken conversation.

:evil:

You want to try hearing come from your 11 year old daughter who has the potential to start speaking like a South London rapper!!!

L "OH EM GEE DAD"

Dad " Don't start rapping:evil:"

L "INIT"

Dad "Get to your room"

Back