Turnmills

What were your thoughts on it? Did you do any of the closing parties?

Listening to a set from The Gallery from early 2008, got me thinking about my handful of nights I had in the venue, and how much of an Impact a club had on my life.

It was London's best club (though you'll get mixed opinions on this).

Definitely not because of the Gallery cheese fest though (you'll also get mixed opinions here).

Turnmills was all about Trade (!!!) and the early Eurobeat 2000/Heavenly Jukebox parties.

It was London's best club (though you'll get mixed opinions on this).

Definitely not because of the Gallery cheese fest though (you'll also get mixed opinions here).

Turnmills was all about Trade (!!!) and the early Eurobeat 2000/Heavenly Jukebox parties.

Was too young for those parties. Never got a chance to do trade.
First time I went to Turnmills was in Oct 2007 to see some random DJ called Marco V play, didn't know who he was, or really know about the underground scene. That one singular night had lasting affects on me.

Used to go past it every day on the 26 when I moved to Bethenal Green. Makes me sad to think it's still sat there as an empty club.

I loved the Gallery nights, they really did change my life. Before Turnmills, I was only interested in the more commercial side of music and metal and such. Then Marco V introduced me to this new kind of music, that I'd never really heard before.
In the weeks, months that followed, I went a few more times, spending hours on youtube before a night listening to songs that the DJs had produced or might play. Saw the likes of Armin Van Buuren, Ferry Corsten, Eddie Halliwell, Judge Jules (When he was good), playing this new, euphoric sound I'd never heard before. Wasn't interested in the drugs, just the music.
The closing parties (Went to two out of the three) blew my mind. To this day, The Gallery closing party is still the best sober night of my life.

For most of my friends, it was the drugs that lead to the music. For me, it was the other way around.

i went a few times , never really 'got it' as a club , foud layout totally confusing. no idea what nights we went to but wasnt the gallery

Alongside the Cross I have very fond memories of Turmills.
Gallery nights were definitely some of my best.

Best club ever. We ran the backroom a few times for The Gallery and Metrogroove. In the mids-90 and then early to mid 2000s I spent a lot of time there. Went to school with owner, so there was always plenty of people we knew about the place.

For all it was a sweaty full-on club, a single man, it was great place to meet women too. Funny enough, I met my now missus there, at Trade on a messy Sunday morning in November 2002...

I've heard Spotlighter Ferd never went there ever.

Preferred the saturday nights at Turnmills, some great moments over the years, especially a particular journey back on a coach with other like minded people (:eek::eek:) from one of the boat parties they held up the thames for the carry on :lol::lol:.

Also miss The Cross very much, especially a bank holiday bonanza after an afternoon at Lazy Dog....oh the days......!

Only went the once for a Roger Sanchez night in 2002. Was insanely / dangerously rammed but loved the weird layout of the place and had a great night once the crowds thinned out a touch.

LOVED Turnmills. One of my favourite haunts when I got out of the cheesey rave scene and started "proper" clubbing ;)

Had many a night rolling around in there @ Gallery, Together and Release Yourself.

Sorely missed along with The End, The Cross and The Key!! Those were the good old days :D

One of my first REAl clubs... used to go back in 1995 or 1996 for Heavenly Social (I think that's what it was??) on Saturday nights! Went many other times too, Gallery... can't remember other nights!!

Sigh... great club!!

Nope. Wasn't a Turnmills boy or a Trader.. abroad for long periods in the early to mid-'00s but as far as London is concerned these have to be the best :

Thursday nights at Heaven - until JD's residency ended in 2005 :)cry:). Place has never recovered.

Renaissance monthly @ The Cross (if I could make it) ... till Renaissance went just ridiculously commercial and hands in the air ... and The Cross closed down.

then

The End (as it was - largely thanks to resis Layo & Bushwacka & Sven), Fabric & Ministry Saturdays.

Special shout out to Friday nights at The Beach (bit further out - Brighton to be precise !) with Diggy the Doo & Co .. before they went kaput when Mr D started all his jetsetting malarky :!:

Back