Trip to Londinium - need a bit of help please

Boardgrrrrl

Having been to Ibiza more times that I've been to London, I'm a tad unfamiliar with areas and hotels etc.

I'm going to a gig at Brixton Academy in December and need to book me and the hubby into a hotel for 2 nights. Can anyone suggest a reasonable hotel where I don't have to trek/tube to the other side of London after the gig? Ideally I'd like something boutique-y and small as opposed to a Premier Inn or Novotel type chain but if the price is right I can be easily swayed :lol:

Thanks

Helen x

OK so I ended up going totally against what I said about wanting to book a hotel close to Brixton Academy and booked a couple of nights at the Hoxton Hotel instead.

So apart from the Pogues gig on the Tuesday night which I'm assuming will finish at 11ish - what can I do for the rest of my stay?

Can anyone recommend restaurants, bars, pubs in that area that I should try? Things to see? Vintage shops?

I quite like the brixton bar & grill under the arches (15 atlantic road) which is a bit quiet on week nights but good fun for a quick drink, play a bit of pool etc

best pub is either The Effra on Kellet Road - quite loud, they sometimes have live funk bands and always an interesting crowd

or

(for food) the Mango Landin - 40 St Matthews Road

the monday quiz night there is a real laugh

The Prince (underneath Dex) at the top of coldharbour is ok - nothing special, the dogstar further down the road is similar, but a pale shadow of what it was.

**if you're a smoker, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES buy anything on the street outside the KFC at night - it's all parsley or mixed herbs and you don't get a refund! some of those guys are pretty nasty too. Just walk on

I dont know of anyone that hasnt after eating there thought it wasnt a possibility. Its no frills dining just very good quality. Malletti in Soho is in the running also

http://francomanca.co.uk/brixton.html

Not much on the menu but dont let it fool you

Last edited by a moderator:
OK so I ended up going totally against what I said about wanting to book a hotel close to Brixton Academy and booked a couple of nights at the Hoxton Hotel instead.

So apart from the Pogues gig on the Tuesday night which I'm assuming will finish at 11ish - what can I do for the rest of my stay?

Can anyone recommend restaurants, bars, pubs in that area that I should try? Things to see? Vintage shops?

oxto

My folks have stayed at the Hoxton a couple of times and have nothing but good things to say about the place.

Vintage shops - clothing or furniture?

Back