Travelling to Ibiza from australia - 17th to 31st of March Questions!

Fryman

Hi all,

Apologies as i will come off as a newbie, but im travelling to barcelona and ibiza for 2 weeks on the 17th- 31st march 2008. Now i understnad that this is very very early in the season but the questions i have are as follows

am i going to still have an awesome time given how early it is? Will anything be open or will it all be closed

is the weather going to be ok?

will the clubs and bars be busy and the party scene still be awesome?

ITs a cheap time of year to go, is there any hints and tips on things i shouldknow before i go.. or will it be crap and just worth staying in barcelona and travelling around spain?

Any opinions or information is greatly appreciateD!! CHeers:spank:

hi and welcome.

you're right - you're really early in the season. talking about clubbing, all the big clubs are still shut except pacha, which is open on weekends (and as well around easter as you're there during this period). there are some smaller venues like grial, blu, underground which are open though. search the forums here for info and ask around when you're on the island. there are open bars in ibiza town and san antonio, but it cannot be compared to the summer season, you'll find it really quiet. but on the other hand, it's a really nice period to explore the island. you even might be able to hit the beach (water's still really cool though!). ibiza in springtime is wonderful, but never as buzzing as during the season, so don't expect a wild scene!

so in answer to your question if you should stay on the mainland: really depends on what you want, as i wrote, it's a really nice time to explore ibiza, but if you come for clubbing reasons, then barcelona might be the better deal. their nightlife is wicked all year round! whole mainland spain is worth seeing as well, of course!

cheers for that!! i was hoping that that wouldnt be the case.. im in barcelona now and its a very interesting place.. plenty of night life and the rest to see.. but ibiza was the main focus to get out and see.

Will see how it goes... if its crap ill just come back to barcelona and travel around spain a little more.

Thanks for yoiur honest opinion.. im sure it will be a blast but 2 weeks is possibly too much

Hey Fryman, A fellow Aussie here. I agree with nostrum, It will be very quiet for clubbing. Pacha on weekends and even then it will be a little quiet than in summer. If you go to Ibiza in March I recommend a few days and definatly not 2 weeks. Check out the island and the beaches. There are some real beautiful ones. There is a beautiful reaustrant/bar on the edge of a cliff in the area west south west of San Antonio overlooking the ocean (west of Cala Bassa somewhere). I cant remember what it is called sorry. If they put up lights over the tables after sunset made from sea shells your in the right place. Get there an hour before sunset and just chill. Great music too. Its magic trust me. If you hire a scooter or bike please be careful as the roads are very slippery compared to Australia due to the fine particals of sand through the tar. I learnt the hard way and its not fun spending the 2nd week of your 2week party on crutches and pain killers. hehe. Anyway enjoy it and just think of it as a scouting trip for the summer because once you go YOU WILL BE BACK............................

2ihl8ab.jpg

hi All,

ok where do i start.. we get there on the 13th of March.. and guess what... its a GHOST TOWN.

I dont know how to explain the depression that place has caused me.. we stayed in hte hotel bergantin in san antonio. Try going to a place that has huge hotels fun parks bars clubs, but EVERYTHING IS CLOSED. Absolutley everything. Its a ghost town and very very spooky thinking.. "this place is so crazy in season and now its completely dead"

How can they build a place that for only 3months a year its insane and then theres nothing.

The vending machines are turned off and or removed. The payphones you pick up they say error no phone line. THE AUTOMATIC MONEY MACHINES ARE OFF.

We went all around the island in a hire car, id be curious to see how you all get around in peak season. We stayed for 3 days instead of two weeks. Oh yeah the only thing that was open in san antonio was the burger king. The kfc and second burger king near the clubbing shop were all closed and plastic on the windows. ITS SPOOKY!

Anyways i can see the appeal, gurning british all around the place sunsets are magical and weather would be quite good. Coming from australia we get most of that most of the year. Went and saw the big clubs like space amnesia etc took happy snaps but its depressing. thats for sure. Evissa town had some living.

Never been to a place where its solely built for party town 3 months of the year. certainly an experience and if possible will venture back. Pity its 21 hours from australia!

Cheers for all your help everybody

... GHOST TOWN ...
... depression ...
... EVERYTHING IS CLOSED ....
... ghost town ...
... very very spooky ...
... completely dead ...
... turned off ...
... removed ...
... error ...
... OFF ...
... all closed ...
... ITS SPOOKY! ...
... depressing ...
so - did you enjoy your stay ?

:lol:

You were made fully aware what WASN'T going on and what you were missing but aware of what you can do off season. However, you chose to check out all the closed things and not appreciate everything else it has to offer off season. Good work.

You were made fully aware what WASN'T going on and what you were missing but aware of what you can do off season. However, you chose to check out all the closed things and not appreciate everything else it has to offer off season. Good work.

Should have planned a few days around Pacha. At least you would have experienced the world's sexiest nightclub, and enjoyed a nice meal at the restaurant. Nothing is more depressing than looking at the outside of a closed club!

... the "wintersexiness" is around a zillion lightyears away from the "summersexiness" ...
but nevertheless you can have a good time .

this video catches the "closed-club"-atmoshere perfectly:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1mZsaROYro

that video is SPOT ON!!! saw heaps of those clubs all closed..

Should of gone to pacha! :( regret that i didnt, but the atmosphere when we were there it we were under the impression that it would be crap. Plus 30 euro entry fee for something that possibly would be poor didnt sound appealing.

Awww that video makes me sad :(

your missing my point.

Im just sharing my experience being a first timer and going in off peak. We went all over the island and saw stuff that the candy kids would never see... and appreciate the beauty of the place. but as it has been mentioned, there is nothing more depressing then seeing amnesia, or any of thebig clubs completely closed. Sad sad place at that time

your missing my point.

Im just sharing my experience being a first timer and going in off peak. We went all over the island and saw stuff that the candy kids would never see... and appreciate the beauty of the place. but as it has been mentioned, there is nothing more depressing then seeing amnesia, or any of thebig clubs completely closed. Sad sad place at that time

I personally reckon going off season would allow me to do the things I wanna do when I go in peak times but never actually do coz of the lure of all the things you CAN do in peak time. Granted the being a first timer didn't help as you obviously wanted to see all the stuff you've seen and heard etc. Horses for courses...

your missing my point.

candy kids? :lol:

well i'd say most people on this board definitely get o:put and see the rest of the island and appreciate tis beauty... thats why we keep going back! ;)

well hello again!

Alot has changed in the last 2 years :) Now i live in london! and am planning another ibiza trip (this time not in march) for 23-27th of July with friends, just before global gathering kicks off...

Now me and the lady travelled all over that lovely island, and I do look forward to going when theres more then portugese retirees walking around admiring the sunsets and the shops are open!

As mentioned we stayed in san antonio last time... now what are peoples opinions on staying in a reasonable place (there are 4 of us) that is commutable to all the major clubs, and also close to the lovely beaches? 2 years ago was a blur, and we drove around mostly.

Lastly do you think it would be worth hiring a car to get from club a to club z rahter then rely on the expensive taxis or shuttle busses?

Your feedback is all taken on board :) choo choo

Bad news chum, the season has moved. Everything kicks off in December and wraps up on the 22nd of July. Global warming, polar ice caps etc. Ghost town!

If there are four of you why not get an apartment? Jet is ok, close to the beach Bora Bora, Space and a bit less boozy then San An. That said there are some nice places in San An if you avoid the strip.

Car is useful for getting around generally and for more remote beaches or locations like Blue Marlin. I wouldn't recommend taking a car to the club though unless you plan to stay sober all night? The fuzz have clamped down and they tend not to piss about if your spangled behind the wheel.

Taxis are reasonable, especially if there are four of you.

Bad news chum, the season has moved. Everything kicks off in December and wraps up on the 22nd of July. Global warming, polar ice caps etc. Ghost town!

:lol:

well hello again!

Alot has changed in the last 2 years :) Now i live in london! and am planning another ibiza trip (this time not in march) for 23-27th of July with friends, just before global gathering kicks off...

Now me and the lady travelled all over that lovely island, and I do look forward to going when theres more then portugese retirees walking around admiring the sunsets and the shops are open!

As mentioned we stayed in san antonio last time... now what are peoples opinions on staying in a reasonable place (there are 4 of us) that is commutable to all the major clubs, and also close to the lovely beaches? 2 years ago was a blur, and we drove around mostly.

Lastly do you think it would be worth hiring a car to get from club a to club z rahter then rely on the expensive taxis or shuttle busses?

Your feedback is all taken on board :) choo choo

Personally I'd hire a car (between the 4 of you it wont cost the earth) to get around the island by day, there are too many nice places not to visit. By night unless one of your company is tee-total I'd share cabs (again between the 4 it isnt too expensive).

A nice place to stay (either hire an apartment or in a hotel) is Talamanca. Its very close to ibiza town, pacha, and also not too far from PDB (Space, ushuaïa, etc etc), it has a nice beach and decent accomodation. All imho obviously ;)

If you want to be right in the middle of it stay in PDB.

Back