Travellers Cheques/travel money card

MinxyRe

Hi

Does anyone know if it is easy to use travellers cheques in Ibiza, or if there are easy places to find that will exchange them?

I haven't used travellers cheques in the past but i'm worried about keeping large amounts of cash in my hotel room (seen on trip advisor that there are a lot of people who have had their rooms broken into) so think it might be worthwhile going with half the amount in euros and the other half in travellers cheques.

Also, has anyone used the travel money cards by mastercard that the royalmail post office is pushing?

Thanks
Reanne

Hi Reanne, hope you're well.

I took around 100-200 euros with me in cash this year - bit of a security nut having had bad experiences in the past (not in Ibiza though!).

Loaded up a currency card by fairfx (www.fairfx.com) which was absolutely fine in the cash points over there. The card costs around 5-10 quid but you can get it for nothing if you go through moneysavingexpert.com. What's even better is that the rate tends to beat 90% of others as well when you top your card up.

If you have any questions about it let me know - i was kindly given loads of places for cashpoints in Playa Den Bossa on here, but you spot them all over the place and bang in the centre of San An is a large Santander.

Have used travellers cheques in the past but always been given shoddy rates or have to pay comission when changing them up.

Hope that all helps :)

I was going to say... I didn't even know you could still use traveller's cheques. Can't you just use your bank card?

I was going to say... I didn't even know you could still use traveller's cheques. Can't you just use your bank card?

Exactly

As long as your card has the Visa or MasterCard logo on it, you can use it at almost any ATM or shop/restaurant in the world.

American express to some extend but not nearly as widely accepted. Keep a visa/MasterCard as a backup if using Amex.

I remember a friend taking travellers cheques back in the day, when he wanted to cash them in he was gone for half a day and had a considerable amount of stress.

I just take my bank card, always have. Any issues you can freeze the card instantly on your banking app. Apple Pay on my phone as back up and A back up card in the hotel safe.

Has anybody tried using Revolut?

Looks really simple to set up a Euro account and use iphone to Apple Pay.

Do all (legal) taxis take cards/apple pay?

I used Revolut a few years ago on a trip to Bali, had no hassle with it at all.

Reactions: PP

Love revolut I always use it for my holiday money. Easy to add money and transfer back if money not used

Reactions: PP
Back