Too old to do a season at 30?

GregM

Hey,

Me and my girlfriend are both turning 30 in May and are looking into working in Ibiza this Summer. We've been to the island several times on holiday but want to take the next step and try and make a go of living and working there.

Question is are we too old? We are looking for a different experience than just partying all the time. Where would be the best place to stay that isn't right in the heart of things but still busy enough to get potential jobs? We were thinking maybe Figueretas as a place to start... We both work in the hospitality industry (I'm a professional DJ, cliched i know lol, and my girlfriend is a nightclub manager who has worked in bars and clubs for years)

cheers :)

P.s- anyone heading out around mid-may? would be good to hear from you

greg

Hey,

Me and my girlfriend are both turning 30 in May and are looking into working in Ibiza this Summer. We've been to the island several times on holiday but want to take the next step and try and make a go of living and working there.

Question is are we too old? We are looking for a different experience than just partying all the time. Where would be the best place to stay that isn't right in the heart of things but still busy enough to get potential jobs? We were thinking maybe Figueretas as a place to start... We both work in the hospitality industry (I'm a professional DJ, cliched i know lol, and my girlfriend is a nightclub manager who has worked in bars and clubs for years)

cheers :)

P.s- anyone heading out around mid-may? would be good to hear from you

greg

I would have to say, no. Neither of you are too old... but I think that depends on what kind of work you are looking for.

If your going out to find DJ work at a bar, then definately not. So long as you know your stuff, age isn't a factor. However, depending on how up (down) market you want (are willing) to go in terms of residency you will have to be prepared to compete with all the youngsters who will be happy just for the exposure and willing to DJ for next to nothing.

As for your girlfriend, if she is looking for bar work, it certainly sounds like she has experience. Albeit, working in a bar/club in England is a million miles away from working in one abroad, the fact she is a little more experienced should means she finds the transition easy.

Also, & i could be wrong here, but having stayed in Figuerettes this past season briefly for the closing parties there didn't seem to be a huge bar scene. Certainly those that were still open had local workers. Admittedly this was at the end of season, so conceivably it would be different in May.

Of course, Ibiza Town & Playa D'en Bossa are 5mins away, and both boast more lively bar scenes. Again though, the vast majority of workers here were Spanish. Some Italians (i believe). In fact, can only recall meeting a handful of Brit workers.

San Antonio would be the most surefire place to secure work.

But again, it depends entirely on what kind of work you are after.

I would think your age would make you more of an attractive option for a potential employer as it would suggest reliability and maturity. As a couple with experience in the relevant skills required for most jobs in Ibiza, then I would fancy your chances. All you need is a little luck to bump into the right employers.

The majority of the workers that apply for jobs are young and more interested in partying than the Job. This sometimes leads to staff not showing up for shifts which is a big no no in Ibiza. No second chances.

Sue Pink on here is organising an employment day at her bar the Pink Panther in San An on the 28th of april and 3rd May. I would make my along to that if you are serious about working in Ibiza. Early bird get the worm so I would try and get there for either of those dates rather than mid may.

I would agree with white isle.......... San An area sounds like your best option for both a job and accommodation as there are more options and the accommodation is cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think your age would make you more of an attractive option for a potential employer as it would suggest reliability and maturity. As a couple with experience in the relevant skills required for most jobs in Ibiza, then I would fancy your chances. All you need is a little luck to bump into the right employers.

The majority of the workers that apply for jobs are young and more interested in partying than the Job. This sometimes leads to staff not showing up for shifts which is a big no no in Ibiza. No second chances.

Sue Pink on here is organising an employment day at her bar the Pink Panther in San An on the 28th of april and 3rd May. I would make my along to that if you are serious about working in Ibiza. Early bird get the worm so I would try and get there for either of those dates rather than mid may.

I would agree with white isle.......... San An area sounds like your best option for both a job and accommodation as there are more options and the accommodation is cheaper.

Totally agree with Bez. This was going to be my next point, the fact you have more life experience and are more mature than a lot of people you are potentially up against fighting for the limited no of jobs, your age is def more appealing to employers.

Assuming you have good all round people skills, you may in fact be a breath of fresh air. I for one, would much rather be approached subtly and genuinely by an older PR than a pushy, overzealous idiot. So long as you can prove you can talk too & relate to tourists at ALL ages, i can't really see it being a problem.

Of course, there is the other end of the spectrum. Possibly some bar owners may feel that older workers, especially first timers, will be more inclined to pack it in halfway through the season, particularly when they realise the meagre pay and long hours. The kids that dominant the PR scene, for example, are generally more willing to live in squalid quarters and run off extended batteries!

You will have to take into account that your audience will predominently be the 18-25 crowd. Of course, Ibiza attracts visitors of all ages, but those who are seasoned Ibiza travellers will no doubt have their favourite dwellings and haunts already.

And, definately head out earlier, as Bez says, April time. May will be cutting fine, with the lion's share of the good jobs already taken.

hi there

Great advice from Bez and white island calling, I have been doing an annual recruitment day for the last 5 years at the Pink Panther in SAN ANTONIO BAY. Usually about 20 to 25 employers from San Antonio and the bay come along offering a variety of jobs, bar, flair, chefs, djs, sales/promotions, prs etc they are looking for trainees all the way through to management. Even if you cannot start work until mid may, it would be worth coming out just for a couple of days at the end of april to attend the first recruitment day on the 28th and also to secure an apartment if you are succesful in your job hunt. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.:D

no way is 30 too old.

you shouldn't think of yourselves as any different from the hundreds/thousands off 30 year old+ workers who still 'do seasons'. yes they've got a job to come back to and a bit more stability/knowledge, but you'll still find them doing everything from selling tickets to working in bars to doing odd-jobs here and there.

any of the major resorts could work for you, just be prepared to swallow your pride a bit if you want to make this happen. experience, age and qualifications don't always count for everything here (like anywhere really!). if you really want it, you can make do it.

read this for the pep talk! http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/night/reviews/2011/top5_working_in_ibiza_guide_i.htm

i would say don't go for the same jobs or jobs at the same place. which goes for mates or couples of any age.

certainly not too old.

Thanks for all of the advice folks, really much appreciated.

We worked in Australia for 9 months, so have got experience of sending out millions of cv's, chapping on millions of doors, and getting loads of rejections. That was our first serious venture working abroad, and it certainly opened our eyes up to alot things required when seeking employment in a different country.

Unfortunatly we can't head out any earlier than May 9th, as it my girlfriend's 30 birthday, so we are having a big do in Glasgow. If all goes well, we will still be travelling over the christmas period, so it would be nice to celebrate her 30th back home.

Anyway, I digress, thanks again for taking the time out to give us some constructive information.

Hopefully I will bump into some of you on the white isle.

Hasta pronto.

Greg

Hi Greg... :)

Did you go out for the season and if so, how did it go??

I'm only back from a week at the opening parties and i'm seriously contemplating giving this a go myself next year...

I'll be 34 by the time next summer comes along but I really don't think age has any importance whatsoever!! I'm still the last one to leave the party/club ( was one of the last 10 people out of an estimated 15,000/20,000 that attended Space when I left at 10:30am on Monday morning when the Opening Fiesta finished ) BUT like yourself I wouldn't necessarily be interested in partying everyday and risk getting fired...

I think I might book 2 weeks holiday off work in late April time and go over, armed with a selection of mix cd's and just visit anywhere that's open, introduce myself, and hand in the cd's. I asked a few people last week when I was out and they were saying the best time is around the end of April.

The only problem is that I want to clear my credit card debt before I attempt this so it looks like I won't be back for closing parties. For someone who absolutely loves Ibiza as much as I do this will destroy me but it's got to be done. It's the only thing that's holding me back. Well, apart from a job which I'm rapidly losing patience with and which gives me zero enjoyment!!

To be honest, I'm really just typing this to give myself that extra push to go for it.

The only real question I would like answered is.... Should I??

Deep down, I already know the answer but i'm just looking for other points of view. For example, is it wise to take 8 weeks holidays ( my full annual leave ) from work, go out and hope for the best? Having to come back after 8 weeks or deciding to hand in my notice, stay in Ibiza ( if i'm making money ) then have to go back to UK ( i'm realistic so a year round job is not going to happen ) to no job and possible accommodation problems. :(:confused:

All opinions are very welcome.. :)

Strangely enough when I got home on Friday night this was one of the first things I noticed on someones Facebook...

181826_10150952595569432_552609431_10001536_863589438_n.jpg

:D:D:D

Ric

If a year-round job in Ibiza isn't going to happen ... which it won't for sure unless you learn Spanish at the very least ... you need to ask yerself if you're having a mid-lifey (not saying you are - just the older you get the more you have to ask !)... and what you're going to do with your experience when you get back after the money inevitably runs out (lottery wins / sugar moms aside :lol:).

Of course anything's possible but are you running from what you don't like about where you're set back home - or looking to live something you wished you'd done 10-15 years ago ?

You're still young enough I reckon if you are determined... but my honest advice would be to look beyond the end of the season at where you think you're going to go after.. and if you possibly can arrange a sabbatical or line up something to take over when you return as a fall-back.

All that said - you never know who you're going to meet out there and where your contacts and experiences could take you. Never too old to live the dream. I just think you need to be a bit more level-headed about it than when you're younger.. and go out prepared to spank some savings rather than rely on credit.

Just a thought - maybe doing guided mountain bike tours or something like that might be a slightly different approach .. especially if you get some languages under your belt ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of season the best "qualifications" you could have would be building, plumbing etc (as well as a good grasp of Spanish), cos winter is when the tourist apartments get their facelifts....

My husband is currently DJing in Es Cana for the summer season, but we're staying all year round (cos we've got a little boy in school here) so in the winter he'll be working for our landlord helping "do up" his tourist apartments....

And we're certainly over 30!!! (I'm pushing 40 and hubby is around 50!!!) So Ibiza isn't just for the young (although we are young at heart! lol :) 8) )

Great that I stumbled across this thread...

I'm 31 and would love to do this too...

I guess you've got to weigh up what you've got now and what you'll be giving up to do it. That said, you only live once and if you've got no ties or commitments - why not? The worse thing that can happen is that you go home after one season and get a job and start "normailty" again!

As long as I was debt-free and had around £4k in my pocket then I would certainly consider it, many employers MUST prefer an older head in their business. Not all the 18-19-20 year olds have a driving licence with 10 years experience on it blah blah blah..

GO FOR IT!

Back