Too old for this carry on...(i think)

VirgoVirgo

This was my 6th visit to the isle, and I’m yet to rank it to be honest, as lots of dust needs to settle (nudge nudge, wink wink).

But seriously, right now as I type this I’m experiencing a weird sort of vertigo type feeling which I think is a concoction of a bit of sun burn, booze, and other bits ‘n’ bobs, not ideal, but there you are. Never really had that post Ibiza, usually just have awful depression, flashbacks, night terror, sleep paralysis etc etc.

Went with the missus, it’s not really a birthday thing but it’s a couple of weeks before my 30th, met a few pals out there as well.

Day 1 – Thu 13/08/15

Thursday we caught a flight from a well-known regional Essex airport, late afternoon time, no dramas, straight through customs at the other end a smallish wait for a cab. Straight to the Tivoli, PdB – caters for our exact requirements - which is a decent bed, clean room, some A/C, close to airport, and somewhere to get washed.

I’d been reading the forums for some time and must admit, I find it amusing the snobbishness aimed at PdB at the moment, seems like a fashionable thing to do, but I’m not gonna join in and say it’s like the South Bronx in the crack epidemic and the north of the Island is sooo much nicer if you wanna experience the real Ibiza. It was fine, it does what it says on the tin, I didn’t see any muggings, any drive by incidents, or aggressive solicitation (I’m confident this still happens, though!).

Met up with our favourite central European bar owner who sorted us out, then met up with some friends who happened to be in the next bar over – then back to theirs for the pre party.

Tonight was ENTER @ Space, this is the third year I’ve been to this in a row, mainly due to the fact we always seem to fly out on Thu and have a long weekend, this’ll change next year I reckon. Skream was on in the Terrace when we arrived and played the sort of set I’d expect, relatively crowd pleasing and not exactly banging – what was obvious early doors (as to be expected) – the Terrace levels of busyness was absolutely perfect, the Main Room was busy (at risk of repeating myself, is to be expected), but not cannot-move-arms busy. Re Skream, I’ve got mates that absolutely hate the bloke, they thing he’s a hanger on who should stick to his genre, but I find him relatively inoffensive and enjoyed his set. After him was Damian Lazarus, who to be honest was really enjoyable, first time I’ve seen him and his set was perfect with the type of Dutch Tulip induced mood I was in, trippy as f---k! We went in and out of the main room a couple of times but never really got settled, it thinned out a tiyn bit but we didn’t really enjoy ourselves as much in there. Went back in after Lazarus’s set but was too rammed.

One thing I was absolutely gutted about was missing Dettmann & Klock, these two are at the absolute top of their game at the moment and to have them on at f-----in 10:00-12:00 is an abomination, I get that it’s the Sake Terrace etc, but f—k me, it’s two of the absolute best in the biz. Dettmann absolutely tore Fabric a new ar8ehole on Sat night by all accounts and I sort of wished I missed Ibiza for it!

Took a stroll home at c.0730, had been up for 26 hrs so not too shabby, not sure if there were any afters, or any appetite for them from our group. Didn’t see anything dodgy on the journey and stopped by for a slice of pizza (somehow).

Day 2 – Fri 14/08/15

We got up about 12ish and headed down to Bora Bora, and took the long stroll down to No Name, obviously there are no parties there at the moment but I still wanted to check it out. To be honest, in my humble opinion, it seemed expensive for what it was, undoubtedly a bit of money amongst the clientele though, and it’s great to see nippers down there playing about. Spoke to a contact about there and he reckoned the old bill closed it down cos there were a couple of deaths, not sure on that personally but he’s more in the know than me! We took a stroll back down to Bora Bora after and got nicely p1ssed on a 6 pack, then back to the room to have a quick nap and get ready.

Tonight we were always gonna do Music On to be honest. I’d never been and wanted to see what it was all about. I’d been psyching myself up for bit of an awful night, Cocoon from 2010 was over the top with coked up meat head Italians with absolutely no clubbing etiquette amongst em, so you may ask, ‘why bother then, d1ckhead’?. The answer is I just had to do it, Music On was always gonna be a double mental party plus I like Capriati and Carlo Lio who were both on in the main room.

We had a good little pre party in our room, then got cabs down there about 12:30, no one in there, not a sausage. Straight to Lio’s set who was B2B Nathan Barato, really enjoyable set, probably the favourite of the night to be honest. Then Capriati came on, I think at c.0300hrs, it was busy then – proper busy. His set was not as good I was hoping, bit naïve of me but was expecting more of his shorter type sets, obviously he was there for the duration it was gonna be long’un!

A word on the people, and the amount of people in there:
It was busy, f-cking busy. And we had an ok spot, but it was near a large amount of traffic, but there’s not a lot you can do about that, but it wasn’t unbearable. And yeah, the bulk of the crowd (90%) are Italian, but what do you expect, it’s a massive Italian holiday weekend, and it’s August, and it’s Ibiza, and there are two massive Italian DJs playing! By and large the crowd were pretty good, if I went in expecting a loved up 90s English crowd on Es I’d have been in for a shock, I knew what to expect and to be honest there was good camaraderie in there, interspersed with the odd bell end.

We went to the Terrace for a bit when Capriati’s macbook crashed (;-/) and it was just mental in there, I’m glad I went purely to experience how crazy it is in that gaff. After a little while me and the missus went down the front right where the stairs are to the VIP and it was ok for a bit, but it was still a bit much, went back in the main room and Capriati was banging out the Floyd’s Another Brick in the Wall, but our mood and legs just weren’t right so we headed off- this is about 0800hrs. So we decided to head off, it’d been p1ssing down with rain and some thunder/lightening in the background was audible, I’d expected this though as a) I’d been keeping a close eye on the weather forecasts and b) the terrace windows were grey.

The queue for cabs was a nightmare as to be expected to we jumped in an illegal back to Tivoli, the queue weren’t going down and only a few were turning up, up the workers n all that but I wanted to get back to me bed! I’m sure the Taxi Drivers Union Of Ibiza won’t be up in arms about it.

Day 3 – Sat 15/08/15

The memory’s a touch hazy at this point, I must admit. I think I went out to watch the football for a bit and had a couple of beers. Then me and ‘er indoors went down to Casa Manolo for some paella and some Chardonnay. I dunno why we always end up getting the paella, it’s always too much for me! Ah well, When in Rome…(please, do go on…etc). Anyway, it was overcast all day so there wasn’t much weather to enjoy, so we headed back to the room for a nap and to get ready for Ants @ Ushuaia.

Pretty annoyed that Tong weren’t playing as wanted to see him do Ants, would have been interesting to see what sort of set he played, but nonetheless we ended up getting in c.20:00hrs which was hardly ideal, but we got a touch carried away beforehand, Ants was definitely one of the highlights of the break, most enjoyable music and quality crowd. Yeah the queue for a p1ss (or whatever) takes the mick, as the gent’s toilet location has changed to the opposite side of the entrance from the last time I was in there. Soon learnt though if you shoot up the stairs to the bar at the back (not sure if it’s VIP), there’s no queue up there, oh well, only 30min of my time I won’t get back.

Our pals were heading off at about 0300hrs to catch a flight, but we thought it’d be rude not to utilise the Sankeys free wristbands, I wanted to head off to Space as I just prefer it in there and Voorn was playing, but it wasn’t free, so – no dice.

The music was good, the crowd was good, the levels of busyness was good, but all in all it just weren’t doing it for me! I didn’t exactly feel young in there, maybe that was it, or maybe it was just the fact I felt like I should’ve been in manchestorr, sound system is dodgy n all in my opinion, just seemed a bit…dunno….noisy?! everything else was taking its toll at this point and some low roof based paranoia was starting to set in slightly…. So we did one at about 04:00.

Can’t help but think if we’d had gone to Space the night would have lasted longer, maybe I’m deluded now though, and the legs can’t take it.

Day 4 – Sun 15/08/15

Check out at Midday and head down to the pool to enjoy some free bubbly for purchasing tickets the other day, why not eh?

Make the most of the afternoon, I head off to watch some more football. Must admit at this point I’m tired, really tired, falling asleep in the bar etc. Anyway, solder on and for a walk down to Figeuretas for a drink or two and then some dinner @ Restuarante El Sol, not as good as last year’s but still not bad at all. As we walk back to the hotel to pick up our bags there’s a concert of some descriptions going on on the beach, few couples really dancing and a load of kids having a great time, at this point it pretty much gets too much for me and seeing other people having a blinding time combined with the chemical imbalance in my brain is a combination for tears, for what appears to the ignorant outsider for absolutely no reason at all.

Our flight’s at the ungodly hour of c.01:15hrs, absolutely no idea what I was playing at, booking that – next time I must take a long hard calculated look at this sh1t and plan it properly. Simple equation would be:

a) Saving money on flight = spending more money in Ibiza

b) Spending more money on flight = spending less money in Ibiza

B should be the winner!

Cab back from the airport with an Ibiza vet, turns out he worked and was good pals with the clockwork orange fella, I forget his name but he’s out of Dagenham way I think. The cabby’s been dry ever since rehab after spending the year out there, sounds about right I reckon…

Day 4 – Sun 15/08/15

Check out at Midday and head down to the pool to enjoy some free bubbly for purchasing tickets the other day, why not eh?

Make the most of the afternoon, I head off to watch some more football. Must admit at this point I’m tired, really tired, falling asleep in the bar etc. Anyway, solder on and for a walk down to Figeuretas for a drink or two and then some dinner @ Restuarante El Sol, not as good as last year’s but still not bad at all. As we walk back to the hotel to pick up our bags there’s a concert of some descriptions going on on the beach, few couples really dancing and a load of kids having a great time, at this point it pretty much gets too much for me and seeing other people having a blinding time combined with the chemical imbalance in my brain is a combination for tears, for what appears to the ignorant outsider for absolutely no reason at all.

Our flight’s at the ungodly hour of c.01:15hrs, absolutely no idea what I was playing at, booking that – next time I must take a long hard calculated look at this sh1t and plan it properly. Simple equation would be:

a) Saving money on flight = spending more money in Ibiza

b) Spending more money on flight = spending less money in Ibiza

B should be the winner!

Cab back from the airport with an Ibiza vet, turns out he worked and was good pals with the clockwork orange fella, I forget his name but he’s out of Dagenham way I think. The cabby’s been dry ever since rehab after spending the year out there, sounds about right I reckon…

Good review mate...'refreshingly' honest!

Day 4 – Sun 15/08/15

As we walk back to the hotel to pick up our bags there’s a concert of some descriptions going on on the beach, few couples really dancing and a load of kids having a great time, at this point it pretty much gets too much for me and seeing other people having a blinding time combined with the chemical imbalance in my brain is a combination for tears, for what appears to the ignorant outsider for absolutely no reason at all.

This made me smile. Enjoyed reading that.

Back