Tokyo ~ Hong Kong

West London Shadow

Planning on visiting a friend who lives in HK (in May) & thought it would be an idea to cover Tokyo too. Have always wanted to go to the latter since watching Lost in Translation :oops:.

Has anyone been to either? Anywhere else I should try & add in?

HK is an amazing city with plenty to see & do!

I stayed on Kowloon Island, heaps of cheap accommodation particularly on Nathan Road. Not sure on your budget but I was on a backpackers budget at the time & that was the area to head to!

Highlights include:

Victoria Peak: Just hope you score a clear day while you visit, the views are insane from the peak!

Symphony of Lights: Best seen from Kowloon across the Victoria Harbour

Tian Tan Buddha: Worlds largest sitting Buddha on Lantau Island, the cable car ride (40 mins long) to it offers some epic views of HK airport, from there they look like toy planes landing & taking off. Then embark on the 286 steps leading up to the Buddha itself.

Star Ferry: Catch the ferry & have the scenes from Blood Sport come flashing back! :D

Macau: If you have the time, get over to Macau. Asia's answer to Vegas! You'll need your passport to enter but it's pretty unique to most other Chinese cities!

Might want to message djchewie (a HK native) or his missus Spacemonkey (frequent traveler for work) as they'd have some good tips too.

Tian Tan Buddha: Worlds largest sitting Buddha on Lantau Island, the cable car ride (40 mins long) to it offers some epic views of HK airport, from there they look like toy planes landing & taking off. Then embark on the 286 steps leading up to the Buddha itself.

sounds tres 8) .

Would love to return to HK, amazing place to visit, sadly the airport approach is not quite so captivating these days:lol:

Probably mentioned this before and cannot remember if dj chewie said it is no longer cheap as chips? When we were there measured and first cut for a suit in an hour, cost £40 in total, best suit I ever had:D

Hello :)

Yes as Morbyd says, I travel to HK China and Tokyo quite a bit. Where do I start......

Tokyo - crazy, great for shopping (Shibuya area esp the 101 malls), very expensive especially hotels, mad nightlife, in fact a bit bewildering in a way. Must dos - Harajuku on a Sunday, then 101 shopping malls on Monday (less busy), Karaoke, the roof bar at the Hyatt (as in lost in tranlsation!) Shibuya Crossing, get the Limobus from the airport (Narita) as its cheaper than the £120 taxi, or better still fly into Haneda its much closer (£40 taxi or limobus). Just a totally different culture, hard to work out whats what but great fun. Go to Mount Fuji if you get a chance too. Weather is more bearable than HK.

HK - Stay in Kowloon, the Mira hotel is nice and reasonable ish. Shopping - Granville Road area, of course there are luxury malls too IFC centre is the best, but they are not cheap.. Temple street and Mong Kok for fake markets etc. Lan Kwi Fung on HK island for bar strip, lots of ex pats and HKers there. Take the bus to Discovery Bay on a Sunday for beach and a ovely laid back Thai meal at Coco Beach. Drinks at Felix (Peninsular bar), eat and Lei Yun Mun fish market (you choose live fish and they cook it and serve in simple restaurants) No tourists there, best and freshest fish /lobster/prawns I have ever had 9and im not a big fan of fish!). About £20 all in! Happy Valley for racing, go up the Peak (tram up, taxi down! avoid sundays, go on a clear night). Get the MTR to Shenzhen across the Chinese border (dont forget to get a visa before you leave UK) for best cheap shopping, fake market (shopping centre next to the station!), cheapo massage etc. There is also a Disneyworld (apparently rubbish I havent been) a Marine World place (has pandas) and Hong Kong Zoo on HK Island is quite good. Dont go June to Sept unless you really can put up with humidity as its 30-35 degrees and pretty unbearable. :) Best time is Oct - March if you want to be able to get out and do stuff. Lots to do, stick to Kowloon Island for more of a Chinese feel and venture up into the New Territories if you get time to see real HK.

Hope that helps. We are going in 6 weeks :p

Would love to return to HK, amazing place to visit, sadly the airport approach is not quite so captivating these days:lol:

Probably mentioned this before and cannot remember if dj chewie said it is no longer cheap as chips? When we were there measured and first cut for a suit in an hour, cost £40 in total, best suit I ever had:D

western brands comparable in price to here. plenty of chinese style stores, sizing might be an issue if yr over 6ft. izzue is good for yr street casuals.

for electricals, remember to haggle as most independent shops can see your lot coming a mile off. :lol:

markets sell usual array of fakes. head to mong kok for sportswear/electricals.

buy yrself an octopus card (had them ten years before oyster cards appeared here). mtr cheap, trains cheap, taxis expensive. coffin on wheels cheap if u know where they go, buses cheap but slow.

kowloon more mish mash, shiny ifc mall on hk island full of high end stores.

avoid the peak at weekends. get the tram up, cab down. queues can get horrendous. best time of day is 2hrs before sunset. laser show starts on the harbour at 8pm on the dot.

easy to get about in hk, signs in english at least.... cant say the same about crossing border...
brave shenzhen if u want. plenty of spas offering 4hr masssage for as little as a fiver, just tip the girls a tidy sum, as they earn **** all. lots of toot and fake stuff in the mall at shenzhen station. prepare for another world as u cross that border. hk food, u get what u see. china food, you think its beef but could be somethine else. hk safe, china have yr wits about you, they drive like lunatics.

hk airport. the only airport in the world where i dont mind being delayed.

do buy fresh cakes and pastries. taste so much nicer, and for the love of god, do not eat at the jumbo floating restaurant!

Last edited by a moderator:
western brands comparable in price to here. plenty of chinese style stores, sizing might be an issue if yr over 6ft. remember to haggle as most independent shops can see your lot coming a mile off. :lol:

Haha for Men, sizing might be an issue if you are over 5ft 5.....

For girls, size 8 UK is a M in HK, size 14 UK is XXL in HK.
Biggest shoe size for women is a 5, 6 if you are lucky.

Even smaller in japan where bizarrely lots of shoes just come in S M and L for women. L being about a UK 5.....

I miss that landing. 18hours sat in a plane to get to the point and wondering if the Pilot can stop the plane before wet stuff.

View from the Peak. Skyline has no doubt changed since 2008.

3202041954_aafdbe2f79_o.jpg

also in HK early may as part of our honeymoon, cant wait...thanks for those that have replied..ive added some bit to our to do file.... some great suggestions in there

thanks for all the advice... will print this out.

hadn't though about it, but might get some shirts/suits made in hk.

is that the view coming into land in hk? so basically need to be sat left side of plane? ('t is the same for heathrow... )

thanks for all the advice... will print this out.

hadn't though about it, but might get some shirts/suits made in hk.

is that the view coming into land in hk? so basically need to be sat left side of plane? ('t is the same for heathrow... )

Nope thats the view from the top of Victoria Peak.

The old airport used to be in Hong Kong Harbor but it have been moved now

Back