To everyone who now lives in Ibiza

sweet sensation

Ok, here I am again but this time its DEFINATELY going to happen. I did post a thread similar to this in 2011 but realised unfortunately that the timing just wasnt right for us as we had a lot of family stuff going on.

This time its different :D we are actually going to be in a position to do this in say 1- 11/2 years time (maybe sooner). So basically what I want to know is when should we start planning and organising? How long did it take you from 'ok we're ready to move to ibiza' (and I dont just mean the idea of it) to actually living there? What did you do first?

What we are going to need to sort out is:

A place to live - rent (obviously) - is it possible to rent an unfurnished/part furnished place?
Schools
Work (this wont have to happen initially but be good to start the ball rolling)
Selling most of our stuff here
Getting the rest of our stuff to Ibiza
Paperwork and legal stuff

and anything else I have forgotten!

So any help/advice/experiences would be very welcome :D

Thanks

Hiya, good on ya for making the move (whenever you actually "get round" to it! lol).... re schools there is a 4 or 5 page thread in this section somewhere about the things you need to do to enrol into schools (here's the link to the thread http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57672).... The paperwork needs doing as soon as you arrive (cos you need it for schools, banks etc)...
Yes there are unfurnished/part furnished apartments to rent out here (obviously the unfurnished are usually considerably cheaper than the furnished ones!)
Others will be able to advise you better on making the move from the UK to Ibiza because we moved from Spain to Ibiza so a lot of the "spanish paperwork"y type stuff had already been done over there previously!!
:) Good luck in your venture!!

We're moving in the next month or so, have sold the house (STC, hoping it doesn't go tits up) and we're selling off most of our possessions to make the move easier. Start doing car boots and putting stuff on ebay as early as possible, I am amazed at the crap I've found in this house! We've got a dog and an 8 month old so we want to make the journey as easy as possible. We've decided to rent rather than buy, to give it a couple of years before we decide if we want to settle full time.

In terms of documents you might want to think about hiring a gestoria when you arrive, they will essentially do all the hard work for you, they know the system and the bureaucracy involved and obviously will speak spanish. From what I can gather it takes a big chunk of the stress away, don't forget you'll be dragging your family to a new country and probably have a lot on your plate already, last thing you need is to have to try and work out what a million forms mean and what times you have to be in various places to get them signed and stamped.

My #1 tip would be to think about moving out of season. We're finding it very hard to find a place to rent, we had to wait for the house to sell to move, and as a result we're looking for somewhere at the same time as everyone heading out for seasonal work. A lot of the houses we are looking at are for the summer only, and that means they are now twice the price. Compared to what would have been available to us in October/November when we decided 100% that we wanted to move, its a nightmare. Its a buyers market in the winter, so if you can, leave it till then.

Also have a look on Facebook for some of the Ibiza groups, loads of info on there and I've picked up plenty of tips and advice from people, theres groups for houses when the time comes as well and you'll find people who can help with moves, cars, pretty much everything you need. There's a few people on them that have no end of advice (and patience) I read them on a daily basis!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ibizamail/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/121392817942680/

Oh yeah and if you don't speak Spanish, start learning. I've been lucky enough to see a lot of the world and I find that anywhere you go if you at least make an effort to speak the language, you'll get a lot further, obviously most people can speak English but it doesn't hurt to try. Check out www.duolingo.com - its free and really good, I did a 30 hours of lessons at the Cervantes Institute then just carried on with the website. Off over to Ibiza in a week to see how well I get on in the real world.

Thank you so much for your replys :D I have read that school thread a number of times and still have trouble getting my head around it all! It was hard enough doing it in the uk!

Basically it will be me, my husband and our 3 children (my kids are 4, 3 and the last one yet to arrive!) and possibly 2 cats. This is why we are thinking of going in about a year as the baby will be 1 years old or thereabouts. We still have to sell a house but it is in a desirable area in north yorkshire so there shouldnt be a problem getting a buyer for it. My husband part owns it with his sister so they just need to decide what to do. Theres an issue with capital gains tax grrrr.

So do we not need to worry about the paperwork until we are actually living on the island or do we need to sort it before we move? How long did it take you to find somewhere to live? I have a few sites that I look on for propertys quite regular just to keep an eye on the prices. Is it easier/cheaper to rent a furnished house or an unfurnished one and then bring your stuff over? Did you drive over with it all or have it shipped?

I definately think hiring someone to do the paperwork is a good idea cos even though we are learning spanish Im guessing a lot of the legal terms are quite hard to understand!? How much does a gestoria cost and how do you go about finding one?

In my original post a few years ago, I said we would look to move in October 2012 and was advised this wasnt a good idea. In my last thread work was going to be more of an initial issue but this time we will be able to 'have a holiday/settling in period' before we NEED to find jobs. Im currently training to be a hairdresser so am hoping to do that line of work. My husband (along with every man and his dog) is a DJ but hes VERY good 8) and he has also started producing his own music. Saying that he is prepared to do anything initially (well within reason!) What are you doing for work acidliam? How long did it take you from start to almost finish from starting to plan to move there to actually going?

So do we not need to worry about the paperwork until we are actually living on the island or do we need to sort it before we move?

I'm not bothering. I think you can apply for things like NIE before you go but I have so much on the go at the minute I simply don't have time.

How long did it take you to find somewhere to live? I have a few sites that I look on for propertys quite regular just to keep an eye on the prices. Is it easier/cheaper to rent a furnished house or an unfurnished one and then bring your stuff over? Did you drive over with it all or have it shipped?

We haven't moved yet and we haven't found anywhere. We're over next week for 11 days getting married and we've got a few viewings then. As I've said, its been a nightmare at this time of year! I've been having a chat with a lady who is a property agent and she said that our best bet might just be to get some where temp for the summer, then we will have the pick of the bunch come winter. We'll be able to get somewhere really nice for a much better price on a year long. I haven't noticed that much difference on furnished vs unfurnished. One of the viewings we have is unfurnished but we're just bringing a 4x4 and trailer over with the basics, clothes, babys stuff, my computers and gf's tools for jewellery making. I like getting rid of everything and starting again if I'm honest. I did it 6 years ago when I moved to Manchester and it was great.

I definately think hiring someone to do the paperwork is a good idea cos even though we are learning spanish Im guessing a lot of the legal terms are quite hard to understand!? How much does a gestoria cost and how do you go about finding one?

Shop around, ask anyone you might know, ask me again in a few months perhaps! But yes, get one, even if you speak really good Spanish its understanding the little subtleties and nuances that will speed things right up.

In my original post a few years ago, I said we would look to move in October 2012 and was advised this wasnt a good idea. In my last thread work was going to be more of an initial issue but this time we will be able to 'have a holiday/settling in period' before we NEED to find jobs. Im currently training to be a hairdresser so am hoping to do that line of work. My husband (along with every man and his dog) is a DJ but hes VERY good 8) and he has also started producing his own music. Saying that he is prepared to do anything initially (well within reason!) What are you doing for work acidliam? How long did it take you from start to almost finish from starting to plan to move there to actually going?

Personally, if you are moving for the change of scenery and lifestyle I think October would be a great time to move, pick of houses, still warm, plenty of life on the island. Plus you'll get your first winter under your belt and have the summer on its way. If you're lucky enough that you can spend a while not working or just getting by then its perfect. There will be a lot less work on the island obviously, I've seen a few people advertising for Summer jobs for hairdressers but I imagine those that own salons go back to skeleton staff once the tourists/workers go, so make sure you've got the funds to last a winter without regular work. Work wise I run an internet marketing agency already is our main source of income. I'm lucky in that my main clients have no problem with me being abroad, we use Skype etc to communicate and I'll pop back every couple of months to touch base and meet up with people. All my staff are freelancers dotted around the place so again they can be managed where ever I have the internet. I'm just hoping I can stick to the UK 9-5 lifestyle when everything/everyone around me is on Ibiza time.

In terms of the husband being a DJ, don't be surprised if there's nothing in the way of work unless he really is established already (I mean internationally known) or has some ****hot contents already. As you say every man and his dog is/thinks he's a DJ, and in Ibiza come summer, DJs are ten a penny. Most of the aspirational kids will play for free just to get the rep. I'd get him to throw himself into production if I'm honest, I've got a few mates in the UK who do far better out of it than DJing. If he gets some good experience under his belt and start producing for others, then once he builds a good client base he'll have no problem convincing people to come out to work with him in Ibiza. Maybe look at getting a guest room that you can use for his clients to stay in and you can offer packages of say 3 days engineering time and bed and breakfast for a set price. I know someone who's done something like that out there and done very well out of it, the Ibiza bit is like an added bonus to anyone making decent dance music, who wouldn't want to go and make a few tunes in Ibiza?!

acidliam - first of all congratulations on getting married :D where exactly are you getting married? we got married on cala gracionetta in may 2007.

the thing with finding the right time to move will probably be down to the schools. once sasha gets started in school here I dont want him to miss months and months cos we moved to ibiza at the wrong time. im thinking maybe january 2015 now cos the baby will be nearly 18months old and i think that gives us plently of time to sort everything out this end and have a final xmas here! I dont know though cos it seems like too long to wait......so that date might change!

well our financial situation will depend on how much we get from the house sale. there is no mortgage on it but my husband only owns half of it, still that would be more than enough to let us have a settling in period and enough to cover what we need in the bank for legalities.

pauly is an AMAZING dj and im not just saying that cos im his wife! he posts mixes on here. he has been djing for 25 years or so and just unfortunately hasnt had that big break but hes just as good if not better that most of the big djs who play in ibiza. hes playing a festival in croatia in 4 weeks so hoping that will give him some more recognition. he has a mate who has just started a record label in london so once he gets some tunes under his belt he will help. the guest room is a good idea, although not sure how much they would want to stay somewhere where there will be 3 kids :lol:

thanks for your replys liam and enjoy your wedding, dont forget to post a pic up when you get back

The old Cap d'es Falco, its just been taken over (all unbeknown to us) we ony found out a month ago, all seems to be going well though, and a bit of a blessing, not only are the new owners super organised but they've given the place a facelift and as the first wedding, and indeed the first event they are throwing everything at us to make it an amazing day, as they want the photos to show off, so we've had a massive win really. Infact the wedding planner they have recruited has even hand made us a sign out of driftwood. Can't wait, its next monday, the 11th, we fly out on Tuesday to arrange everything.

Don't think I would have the patience to wait another 2 years! We were planning on moving last summer, but we had a little accident who decided to interrupt our plans ;) wouldn't swap him for anything though, in fact he just makes it all the more worthwhile, its that extra bit of motivation to make sure we do the move properly and stay there, can't imagine anywhere better to grow up than Ibiza.

Once you are living out here and have done some networking and getting to know people I imagine gigs will be a lot easier to find, what does he play? Pop us a mix or two up :)

A quick thought re schools, they don't tend to accept new pupils part way through a term... when we moved over at the end of March last year, we had to wait til after the Easter Holidays in April for our son to start school..... They go September to December (Xmas Hols), the start of January to whenever Easter happens to be (April this year), and April to June....
I'm sure you already know this, but they start school at age 3 here btw, (unlike in the UK where the birthday has to fall before the start of school year in September, here the birthday just has to be within the year (ie until December!))... So you'd have two kids to get into school rather than the one that you'd be doing in the UK!!! :)

Yeah she would.... it's not compulsory, but advisable cos then she'd learn Spanish and get to know her classmates... Otherwise the compulsory schooling starts at 6 and (in my opinion) that's a bit too much all in one go to be starting a new school, learning a new language and meeting new people who already all know each other! At least if she starts when she's 3, they're all new to the school and each other...

How difficult was it for your kids to adjust to a spanish/catalan speaking school? Does anyone speak english to them at all? Do they just have to 'get on with it'? I want them to learn the language as quickly as possible but wondering how much help they get at first? We are currently teaching them some basic spanish, my son can count to ten and say basic words like hola and gracias and my daughter is learning too, but listening to people who are fluent, they all speak very fast!!! Do most ex pats get extra tuition outside of school?

Still struggling on a date to move :confused: it will be at least a year, so not before may next year but then Im guessing finding a property in summer would be much harder and more expensive!?

The lessons in schools are taught predominantly in spanish/catalan, children who struggle with the language (or who are new to it) have extra spanish/catalan lesssons either on a Saturday morning or instead of some other (probably non-important) lessons during the school "day"....

When my son started school at age 3 he had NO spanish language at all, and the teachers didn't speak any english, we asked could he be sat with a child who could speak english/spanish so she could help him out.... The teachers are very helpful and willing to do most things to help the children in anyway they can to understand better....

Another english child in the same school (and neighbourhood) started the school last year when he would have been around 6..... he had no knowledge of spanish/catalan at all, he seems to be doing ok now (he has extra tuition on a saturday morning in spanish/catalan) and although he won't speak any to his parents, they've heard him talking to his classmates in Spanish at school..... Children tend to adapt and learn new languages very quickly especially when they're immersed in it...

I guess my oldest 2 will have each other, just my son will be in the year above my daughter. I knew there would be a good reason for having them so close together!!! Thinking about it my son is picking up on the spanish we are teaching him quite quickly. I only taught him how to say my name is sasha in spanish yesterday and hes already saying it all the time! I just hope we can pick it up as easily as he is!!! :lol:

Start learning now. I've been learning for about 8 months, I could get by ordering food, asking for stuff in supermarkets etc but I'm miles away from an acceptable level.

Im guessing finding a property in summer would be much harder and more expensive!?

Try near on impossible. We've abandoned any hopes of getting the house we want in the area for the beudget we had in mind and are just giving in that we'll have to live anywhere theres something going for the summer, waiting until november to take our pick.

Start learning now. I've been learning for about 8 months, I could get by ordering food, asking for stuff in supermarkets etc but I'm miles away from an acceptable level.

Try near on impossible. We've abandoned any hopes of getting the house we want in the area for the beudget we had in mind and are just giving in that we'll have to live anywhere theres something going for the summer, waiting until november to take our pick. [/COLOR]

We have been learning off and on for years now. Just from cds tho. We do know a fair bit but as we dont speak it everyday it gets forgotten. Im hoping teaching the kids will help us remember it all.

I dont mind living somewhere temporary at first. Im guessing its easier to find a place once youre already living there

Back