Tiesto vs Armin

OziOziOzi!!

Hi all,

3 years in a row - here we go again - In september. Need some advice this time round though as Tiesto's "defection" to Pacha has placed me in a squeeze. Last year Tiesto at Privilege was the definite highlight of my trip, moving to Pacha worries me that the atmosphere is not going to be as awesome. Also I dont want to be stuck like FMIF with no where to move.

The year before Armin @ Amnesia was incredible but Tiesto at Privilege trumped that - easily. Now is it the venue or the DJ? Pacha is an incredible club, but is it suited to a balls-out trance gig - will the Tiesto nights be the same as his Privilege or is he going in a different direction - more (shudder) commercial?

Argh...why cant one of them be on bloody tuesday!!!!! :spank: (or wed, thursday, friday, sat - not Sun-> space...)

So if you love progessive, which will it be?

Pacha is an incredible club, but is it suited to a balls-out trance gig

Tiesto's night at Pacha certainly won't be a 'balls-out' trance gig. The move to Pacha, to me, is a definitive statement from the man himself that his trance days are over.

When he first moved to Privilege I think the concept was still very much 'In Search Of Sunrise', in keeping with the image that all trance fans have of Ibiza. But that obviously shifted as time went on. When I saw him in 2009 it was very much house and electro at the start, trance in the last couple of hours. Last year he did much shorter sets and was supported by people like Nero.

Privilege suited Tiesto I thought - simply because in the last 5 years of his 'trance days' he was all about that big 'stadium/festival' feel. He stopped doing smaller clubs altogether for a while.

His night at Pacha, I imagine, will have a very different feel to it. Much more in the FMIF/SHM mould.

For trance on a Monday look no further than Armin. We were all discussing earlier in the year about whether Armin could even fill Privilege. Pictures from the opening party yesterday look RAMMED!

I'm a house head personally with a bit of techno too.

But I'm intrigued I like all the old trance stuff from the 90's. Is it this same stuff that gets played? Like old Richard Durand stuff and the likes. Does this get played at these trance nights, or is it even trance?

But I like all the old trance stuff from the 90's. Is it this same stuff that gets played? Like old Richard Durand stuff and the likes. Does this get played at these trance nights, or is it even trance?

You might be better off checking out Colours at Es Paradis on a Tuesday.

Lange, Darude, Matt Darey as guests throughout the season - plenty of 90s trance there!

I went to see Tiesto a few weeks back he played no trance at all, well he played 3 of his classic trance tune which were house/electro remixes for 2012. I do find it a bit of a strange move even though he has moved away from trance he's sound still feel big room and more suited to Pacha.

Which night to choose is really down to what sound you're after Armin all the way for me ! but Pacha is one of my favourite clubs

I went to see Tiesto a few weeks back he played no trance at all, well he played 3 of his classic trance tunes

Saw Tiesto last year at Privilege and it was the same. Whole set was Prog & Electro, with the exception of Adagio for Strings & his Silence remix.

But I'm intrigued I like all the old trance stuff from the 90's.
Is it this same stuff that gets played? Like old Richard Durand stuff and the likes. Does this get played at these trance nights, or is it even trance?

I don't know about 'old Richard Durand' stuff as such, but as someone whose been listening to trance music pretty much constantly since 1999/2000, I can say that trance is VERY different now to what it used to be in the 90s.

Trance as a genre has slowed down dramatically over the last couple of years, basslines are fuller and more striking - basically all geared towards making it more club-orientated. But even the high tempo stuff that is still about is quite different too - more polished, less about careful layers and more about the big, epic breakdown. Each to their own I suppose - Most of us trance fans have moved with the times, while a small minority are born to 'harp back'.

But going back to the question :)lol:), no, not much 90s trance sound going on in Ibiza this year. Closest you'll get is DJ Orkidea who I think is playing Colors.

P.S. Don't be put off going anyway, by the way. Trance nights are pretty happening events these days. The scene is buzzing at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
For trance on a Monday look no further than Armin. We were all discussing earlier in the year about whether Armin could even fill Privilege. Pictures from the opening party yesterday look RAMMED!

I can honestly say that it wasn't rammed. Club wasn't quiet, don't get me wrong, but you could easily stretch out both arms anywhere but the main dance floor in front of the stage. I prefer it like that to be honest, Tiesto at peak season last year was horrible. Pushing your way through to the smoking area is not a pleasant experience in Privilege. The crowd started leaving about half way through Armin's set (3am-5am), then even more left when Dash Berlin came on (5am - Close).

But going back to the question :)lol:), no, not much 90s trance sound going on in Ibiza this year. Closest you'll get is DJ Orkidea who I think is playing Colors.

Or Solarstone. His Pure album is pretty special. He's at Colors a few times I believe.

I can honestly say that it wasn't rammed. Club wasn't quiet, don't get me wrong, but you could easily stretch out both arms anywhere but the main dance floor in front of the stage. I prefer it like that to be honest, Tiesto at peak season last year was horrible. Pushing your way through to the smoking area is not a pleasant experience in Privilege. The crowd started leaving about half way through Armin's set (3am-5am), then even more left when Dash Berlin came on (5am - Close).

Interesting. I've seen a couple of pictures on Twitter (one this morning actually) and the place looked really really busy. But I suppose in a club like Privilege a picture from the DJ's view doesn't really give you a true enough sense - I mean, the place is huge.

Good to hear actually, Ben. I think how the place was for my first Tiesto visit in 2009 was as busy as you'd want to see it. Getting to the toilets, smoking area or various different rooms and bars is a trek enough as it is without having to force your way through endless crowds of people.

It always empties loads after 5am. Always a bit ot a surreal experience that. Stood dancing in vast open spaces with a sparse number of remaining mess-heads.

Most of the photos I've seen at the night are around the main dancefloor, where it does look busy, and to be fair, it was busy there most of the night.

I think it'll be much busier when ASOT gets itself established over there. I don't think it'll sell out at any point, other than the Armin Only night. I don't like clubs which are sold to capacity, because, as you said, it becomes a chore to do anything.

I was definitely one of the remaining mess heads come 5am. :lol:

Back