Thinking about the move.....

Jemma Saltrese

Hi all, I am thinking about moving to Ibiza soon and I wanted some advice if you have any!
I have a few considerations:
- I would be looking to rent as I don't want to sell my house yet, I think I should try it for a year yet - how are is it to find a nice family home to long term let?

- I will need to put my girls into school - any advice about what to consider for this would be great, my daughters are 4 & 6 I would ideally like to put them into an English speak school and then maybe move them to a local school at a later date. The only school I can find is http://www.mornainternationalcollege.com/
do you know if its any good and if there are any others?

-We will be working for our business that is in the UK, so will need to set up a home office, do we need to think about Wifi etc to make that work accordingly.
- also any childcare thoughts.
- Then standard stuff, where should we look to live how easy did you find the move... anything else I should consider?

Any thoughts would be gladly received whilst we plan this VERY exciting adventure!!

Thanks
Jemma

finding a place to live (at a decent price) is currently one of the most difficult tasks. free apartments/houses are hard to find, especially since so many people have realized they can make the same money (or even more) renting their place out just for the summer (be it to season workers or tourists).

as to where you should stay - totally depends on what you want and what you're willing to pay.

as for schooling, in my opinion your kids are at a perfect age to directly go to a local school; in that age they'll pick up spanish super quick. the longer you wait the harder it'll be for them to get into the language. but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the reply!
I know its a nightmare to find somewhere to rent, but I guess we want to try before we buy! could you recommend some rental agents?
I am a little concerned about the transition with regards to language for the kids, I know the 4 YO will be fine but making friends without speaking the language scares me considering it is a big move already - thoughts on this would be appreciated

I can't recommend any rental agents personally. just try your luck and be patient.

I see the point about making friends being easier if it's the same language, but a lot of expats send their kids to local schools, so there are often other foreign kids in the same class. and sending them into local school in my opinion just makes integration much easier.

thanks, this is really helpful, I guess I need to view a number of schools and ask a few more questions, I have noted that they do language lessons for Expat kids after class at some schools so I will see what happens then.

It appears I will need to get used to being patient... the Ibiza way!

Back