The world coolest nationalities

Swedish%20Women.jpg

last year in Ibiza we had a varied group, two from Sweden, a German, one from Spain, one from London, one from Birmingham, two from Scotland, one from Australia, one from Cumbria & a Geordie! Nice mixture ha ha

from jay's article said:
4. Mongolians

Along with a carefully crafted air of quiet mystery, these unflappable souls pretty much perfected the freewheeling, nomadic cowboy existence, throat singing and yurts. Fur-lined everything -- boots, coats, hats, undies -- adds hearty splendor to the historic mystique. And who else keeps eagles as pets?

Icons of cool: Actress Khulan Chuluun, who played Ghengis Khan's wife in the very cool film, “Mongol,” and matched the arch badass arrow for arrow, barb for barb.

Not so cool: Yak-based dairy products … at every meal.
Hmm... A good friend of mine is in Mongolia for work right now. Will have to ask him how cool they are when he gets back :lol:

Coincidentally, I had dinner this weekend with 2 of the producers from the film "Mongol"!

Overall, I disagree with the premise. There are no "cool nationalities". Only cool people. (Although I'd almost hand it to the Brazilians)

My party crew this weekend included a Russian, 2 Israelis, an Uzbekistan-born Ukrainian-American, an American, a Russian-American, a Frenchman, and a New Zealander. Rainbow coalition of sorts :lol:

Overall, I disagree with the premise. There are no "cool nationalities". Only cool people. (Although I'd almost hand it to the Brazilians)

My party crew this weekend included a Russian, 2 Israelis, an Uzbekistan-born Ukrainian-American, an American, a Russian-American, a Frenchman, and a New Zealander. Rainbow coalition of sorts :lol:

when I did my Erasmus year in Spain, it was like that all the time on our campus. To begin with, people quite enjoyed the novelty of meeting all the other students, but by the second half of the year, people generally reverted to hanging around with their own countrymen, which is often inevitable really

when I did my Erasmus year in Spain, it was like that all the time on our campus. To begin with, people quite enjoyed the novelty of meeting all the other students, but by the second half of the year, people generally reverted to hanging around with their own countrymen, which is often inevitable really
Expat living is a bit different. There are generally 3 types of people:

- Those that 'go local' i.e. only hang around people and places frequented by natives.

- Those that do the sheltered expat thing and live in gated compounds only venturing out to attend dinner parties at the homes at other likeminded Westerners.

- And people like me that hang out with a mixed crowd and go anywhere & everywhere with whomever.

I've never gravitated to Americans only. That'd kill half the fun of living abroad! However, everyone in my gang generally speaks English which you kind of need when you spend the day at work speaking Russian and weekday evenings speaking Russglish with the missus.

Expat living is a bit different. There are generally 3 types of people:

- Those that 'go local' i.e. only hang around people and places frequented by natives.

- Those that do the sheltered expat thing and live in gated compounds only venturing out to attend dinner parties at the homes at other likeminded Westerners.

- And people like me that hang out with a mixed crowd and go anywhere & everywhere with whomever.

I've never gravitated to Americans only. That'd kill half the fun of living abroad! However, everyone in my gang generally speaks English which you kind of need when you spend the day at work speaking Russian and weekday evenings speaking Russglish with the missus.

yeah, think I'm in the third category too really. I do try and find like-minded Spaniards but it is hard work sometimes, because my sense of humour often does not translate. At the same time, I always found the English in Barcelona a bit of a closed-shop, usually escaping from something or other at home, it can be very intense. The people I'm most comfortable around tend to be the misfits, loose cannons, people with incredible stories, who don't seem to have any nationality about them at all.

The people I'm most comfortable around tend to be the misfits, loose cannons, people with incredible stories, who don't seem to have any nationality about them at all.
Same here. Most of my friends would make great characters in a novel or movie.

I like people with an international perspective. People whose ideas aren't confined by the typical customs, ideas and mores of their native land, but who can take a broader view.

Same here. Most of my friends would make great characters in a novel or movie.

I like people with an international perspective. People whose ideas aren't confined by the typical customs, ideas and mores of their native land, but who can take a broader view.

I have been in third category when I lived abroad. I still have friends from all over that I communicate with. I enjoy the international culture cuisine. When I abroad I do miss some american things like Arby's Roast beef and Maryland crab cakes. I think it is a waste of time to live in a country and not experience the people and culture. I slink away when I hear people in a foreign country complain that someone doesn't speak English. Much respect John Russian is a hard language. That is one I could not pick up by ear.

Back