The Top 50 best paid footballers in the world

Probably because this is based on basic salary only?
Exactly... the numbers quoted for his pay in the press when LA signed him included all sorts of endorsement and image rights deals. His base salary can't be that high because it would absolutely wreck the MLS's pay scale (which even at his current level he was already exempted from)

In honesty it's a good thing America don't have a huge interst in Football. You just know they'd try and change it.

As Budweiser said; Extra time Multi ball!

In honesty it's a good thing America don't have a huge interst in Football. You just know they'd try and change it.

As Budweiser said; Extra time Multi ball!
Ah, the European myth that Americans have no interest in football.

Half the kids on my block played in youth soccer leagues growing up. And my high school team was state champion for a couple years.

But to be fair, the interest does wane at the professional level... probably a function of the commercial dominance of American football, baseball and basketball combined with the lack of television coverage due to reduced opportunities for commercials.

The lack of a major network television deal is one reason why footballers get paid substantially less than in Europe. Baseball players, by contrast, make a huge amount of money... far more than any cricket player!

I think the only major rule change in the MLS was that, initially, the clock counted down from 45 to 0 minutes each half, instead of up from 0 to 45. Eventually, that was dropped.

England has different rules from Europe too... 5 subs vs 7, for example (although I understand that's finally changing)

Ah, the European myth that Americans have no interest in football.

Half the kids on my block played in youth soccer leagues growing up. And my high school team was state champion for a couple years.

But to be fair, the interest does wane at the professional level... probably a function of the commercial dominance of American football, baseball and basketball combined with the lack of television coverage due to reduced opportunities for commercials.

The lack of a major network television deal is one reason why footballers get paid substantially less than in Europe. Baseball players, by contrast, make a huge amount of money... far more than any cricket player!

I think the only major rule change in the MLS was that, initially, the clock counted down from 45 to 0 minutes each half, instead of up from 0 to 45. Eventually, that was dropped.

England has different rules from Europe too... 5 subs vs 7, for example (although I understand that's finally changing)

I didn't say they had no interest, I said they don't have a 'huge interest'. Which they don't when compared to Baseball, NFL, and Basketball.

Yeah it's about time they upped it to 7. Though I am very much against blatter and his plan to cut the prem down to 18 teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's about time they upped it to 7. Though I am very much against blatter and his plan to cut the prem down to 18 teams.
Does anyone else get the feeling that Blatter is certifiably insane? He's just a bit erratic... schizophrenic, if you will...

A bit like Bert Milichip(sp) who was diagnosed with Alzheimers about 3 months before he resigned from the F.A.

They are all over payed. What is it 25 K a week to take a dive every 2 minutes, have 14 haircuts all at the same time and sky it clean over the bar from 3 yards ? I could do that for free.

They are all over payed. What is it 25 K a week to take a dive every 2 minutes, have 14 haircuts all at the same time and sky it clean over the bar from 3 yards ? I could do that for free.

Yes but whats 1 million quid a film to say some one elses words

Or 30 million a year to gamble someone elses money on the stock market

Or a

Yes but whats 1 million quid a film/album to say some one elses words/sing someones songs.

Or 30 million a year to gamble someone elses money on the stock market

No one has a go at J K Rowling for becoming nearly a billionaire due to writing a few books.

All have in common with footballers a talent that creates a market, that they rightfully exploit.

Whats the difference? I'd hazard a guess at class. And before you say it, certainly the first two on the above examples behave far worse than your average footballer!

Yep it is not the footballer's fault they get paid well. Also remember a footballer has a very short career to try and earn as much money as they can. Actors/singers/writers whatever can continue working and earning whereas a footballer could struggle to find work once the career is over. They can't all manage, coach, be a pundit etc and whatabout a lower division player? I can't see ex an Barnet player for example being asked to join Gary Linekar and Shearer as pundit on MOTD when their career finishes.

I've been drunk posting again. When will I learn?:lol:

I don't even like football, and have nothing constructive to say here.

Ignore my above post.

I won't be back on this thread.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Blatter is certifiably insane? He's just a bit erratic... schizophrenic, if you will...

Very much so, some of his 'ideas' have been nothing short of laughable... Then a month afterwards he's arguing against his own point of view.

Football is a multi billion pound sport, it makes many a fat business man a millionaire. so it's only right that the people actually playing the game get a chunk of the money.

Back