The Origins Of Acid House - A Saga

mashednlovingit

@Tourist I think you will especially find this fascinating/hilarious...

Today, Mr C (Richard West/The Shamen/The End for those that don't know) posted a rant on his Facebook page directly calling out DJ Pierre saying he'd lost his mind and is a rapist sympathiser...

Let's rewind...

DJ Pierre, on his Facebook, posts an old video of Eric Morrillo playing somewhere. This triggered Mr C having publicly talked about being a child of sexual abuse himself. As we know Morrillo, before taking his own life, had several rape claims against him. So, Mr C calls Pierre out on the post. It's in bad taste and basically he's a rapist sympathiser.

Coinciding with this DJ Pierre, on a seperate thread, had also shared a screenshot from a blogger which stated his 1987 'Acid Tracks' (widely regarded as the first ever acid house track) wasn't the first ever acid house track. DJ Pierre felt this was changing history to suit a white audience and was a deliberate attempt to downplay the impact of the black community in not just electronic music but culture and life generally (a theme he brings up continually throughout the debate which ensued).

Mr C then responds with a track from 1982 suggesting this predated 'Acid Tracks'. Check out the track I'd never heard it today and trhe fact it was produced by an Indian man messing around with a 303 machine before Acid had even been coined as a term in another part of the World blew me away.

Raga Bhairavi by Charanjit Singh

All hell ensued thereafter. Pierre goes on to call Mr C a racist sympathiser and coloniser purely for posting this track.

Marshall Jefferson and Terry Farley also chime in. Some of the comments written reveal information from around that time that I believe has never been documented before in relation to the history of house.

The rants and calling out are still going on, publicly.

Search DJ Pierre and Mr C on Facebook to find the posts. This is all in the public domain.

Just f***ing nuts the lot of it.

Yep, it´s unfortunately a situation where different things have deliberately got entangled as smokescreens. Black Detroit/Chicago are well within their rights to complain about the 'whitening' of house/techno. That is a real issue. HOWEVER in this instance, racism is being invented as an excuse to distract attention from horrendous rapes and other sex offences by people seen to be part of the fraternity (ie old boys club closing ranks). It's very sad because I think Pierre is a fantastic DJ but who seems to have lost his mind since - or perhaps due to? - Covid.

as for Charanjit Singh, I remember a big thread about that on DJ History a few years back when that caused a stir. I think a few people researched into it via the Indian dance community but never found any evidence to suggest he consciously invented the music, more that it was just a sonic coincidence. Great story though! And IIRC someone did remix those original recordings.

anyone been paying attention to DJ Pierre vs Mr C? It's getting a bit mental

Another great tarnishing his legacy by being a wacko

90% of the bigname DJs I grew up with not only play but also talk total shit now. Just one reason why I have nothing to do with them anymore. Unfortunately social media gave a voice to people who in some cases are mentally ill or who have self-destructed over time. One good thing that did emerge from the pandemic is that it did root out a lot of people I had long suspected were wronguns and similarly with MeToo that really has shone a spotlight on the dinosaurs.

Back