The 'Ibiza' in Indonesia

stingray

Some shameless self-promotion here that may be of interest. Don't think it's been circulated on this forum ?, anyway here's a piece I wrote for the Observer about a fun little island, a long long way from home. It's not really Ibiza in Indo (no cars!), but the editor thought it worked best to tag it that way.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/jan/03/gili-trawangan-new-ibiza

I've been visiting Ibiza for years, captivated by its bohemian character, music scene and relaxed cosmopolitan vibe. I liked the island so much I wrote the original Rough Guide to Ibiza, a wonderful, intoxicating and exhausting project that must rank as about as much fun as you can have on planet Earth in the name of a job.But times have changed and my love for the White Isle has faded as bling has replaced boho and the club scene has become increasingly predictable. It has also become insanely expensive: entrance to Pacha cost €64 (£57) on my last trip, and a beer was €10.
I have been increasingly drawn to Indonesia, first to Bali and later to the tiny tropical island of Gili Trawangan, whose zeitgeist is right here, right now. Just as Ibiza's halcyon days were in the early 60s (when the first wave of beatniks arrived) and the late 80s (when acid house exploded), this tiny island off the north-west of larger Lombok is shaking off its reputation as a backpacker hangout and starting to register with a hip crowd from Asia and Europe.
The scene is quite raw, unpretentious and hedonistic, with stylish bars, vibrant nightlife, a hip hotel or two and very decent diving. Designers from Hong Kong and fashionistas from Tokyo mix with travellers from the UK, scuba nuts and Indonesian creative types.
A veritable speck in the tropics – the island is just a couple of miles long and a mile across – Trawangan is an hour or so by fast boat from Bali. (It's also 1,500 miles from the earthquake-hit Padang area of Sumatra and was completely unaffected by the devastating quake there three months ago.)
All the desert island clichés are present and correct: dazzling white-sand beaches fringed by coconut palms, turquoise waters and a coral reef. It's still possible to live the tropical dream – snorkelling, feasting on fresh seafood, then lounging or dancing under the stars – for a fistful of Indonesian rupiah. But if your budget is bigger and your comfort zone narrower, there are some superb new accommodation options. Seriously stylish thatched-roofed cabins (most built in local "rice barn" style) are replacing creaky old A-frame huts. Expect polished timber floors, hand-carved beds with gorgeous linen, and open-air bamboo-walled bathrooms. Those at Dream Village (around €50 a night) have front decks facing the island's best sandy beach.

Of course, there are plenty of idyllic islands in south-east Asia with decent hotels and a lively bar or two. Gili Trawangan's trump card is that there is no traffic: no cars, motorbikes or motorised transport at all. Not one moped. Nada. This is not accidental; locals have opted for relatively sustainable development, determined to avoid the mistakes that have turned southern Bali's paddy fields into a traffic hell. The only way to get around is aboard a cidamo – a kind of horse-and-cart "taxi" – on foot, or by bicycle. You can walk around the entire shoreline in a couple of hours along a delightful path that meanders between coconut palms.
Trawangan may be increasingly prosperous but the atmosphere remains bohemian, with a sandy high street where magic mushrooms ("Take you to bloody heaven and back – no transport necessary") are on sale alongside hand-made jewellery and sarongs. The main drag has rickety timber warung (canteens) rustling up nasi goreng (Indonesian fried rice) juxtaposed with sleek bars such as the über-stylish British-owned Horizontal, with its decadent cocktail list and modern menu.
At night these beachfront bars play lounge music and chilled electronic tunes next to the waves, while later the action gravitates to one of the designated party venues – Friday nights at Rudy's are a blast, the dancefloor bouncing to pumping house and trance. There are no entry fees to these low-key raves, which are packed with an unlikely mix of living-the-dream travellers, Asian clubbers and long-haired Trawangan beach boys.
Until a year or two ago, a party night in Trawangan meant an excess of industrial-style repetitive beats courtesy of a local DJ of dubious repute. Times have changed, and now DJs over from Bali often spin the discs, with the odd superstar turntablist dropping by – Timo Maas played here in 2009. Globally renowned DJs are prepared to play the Gilis for free, revelling in the joy of playing to a relaxed crowd on a dream beach.
During the day, most people gravitate to the coral reef that fringes Trawangan and its two neighbouring islands. Trawangan's marine environment is on the road to recovery after years of overfishing (and the effects of El Niño in 1997-8, when soaring water temperatures bleached the coral). Four years ago the islands' six scuba diving schools cut a deal with locals to safeguard the reef. Fishermen would be paid not to fish in the area, and it was hoped that marine life would recolonise the coral.

The effects are remarkable. Not only have the top predators (metre-long white and black-tip reef sharks) returned in numbers but smaller species (including ghostly looking pipefish and several types of sea horse) are prolific, too. Scuba-nuts can be fairly sure of spotting turtles, and vast schools of lumbering bumphead parrotfish cruise by on full-moon evenings, gobbling up coral spawn. The sea is usually so clear that it's possible to pick out individual grains of sand as you snorkel offshore.
In tandem with the fishing embargo, a reef regeneration project called Biorock ensures that stray or loose living corals are collected and transplanted onto frames beneath the sea. Electrodes supplied with low-voltage currents cause electrolytic reactions, accelerating coral growth and ultimately creating an artificial reef. These Biorock installations are just off the main beach, at a depth of about eight metres, and make a great snorkelling experience, with clown fish darting in and out of the coral and purple-and-yellow nudibranch sea slugs clinging to the embryonic reef.
The fishing moratorium has been a great success but it has created a cultural conundrum. Trawangan was uninhabited 50 years ago; the first settlers were Bugis fishing people from the island of Sulawesi. Their descendants' way of life is now very much tied to tourism rather than fishing. Virtually all locals are Muslim, and it's good to respect sensibilities. Bikinis on the beach are fine (though topless sunbathing is a no-no) but it's best to wrap a sarong round your waist for strolling around. Alcohol is widely available and though most locals fast during Ramadan, and parties are suspended for the month, visitors are free to consume food and drink (including alcohol).

Party head or not, the island remains a delightful place to kick back for a week or so, spending days horizontal in a hammock, or suspended over a coral reef, snorkel in mouth.
And if Trawangan sounds a tad too developed, consider one of the other two Gili islands: Meno is totally tranquil, with a population of just 300 or so, while Air has a little more going on, with a strip of beach restaurants, though no nightlife.
Essentials

Qatar Airways (0870 389 8090; qatarairways.com/uk) has flights to Bali from £564. From Bali several companies offer fast boat connections (US$110-$130 return) direct to Gili Trawangan. Try Blue Water Safaris (00 62 361 723479; bwsbali.com). Dream Village (00 62 370 664 4373; dreamvillagetrawangan.it) has bungalows sleeping two from €50 a night. The Horizontal bar (0062 370 639248; thegiliislands.com) also has villas sleeping two from €75 a night, including breakfast.

Ahh the Gili Islands :D We spent 2 weeks there at the end of our travels and I summed Gili Trawangan up as 'probably the best island in the world'. Loved your article ;)

Here's my slightly less eloquent diary of our time there:

Gili Trawanga - Probably the Best Island in the World
  • If there was an award for 'Best Island in the World', then Gili Trawangan would take some beating. One of the three Gili Islands (the other two being Gili Air and Gili Meno), off the north-west coast of Lombok, Gili Trawangan is the largest of the trio, yet still only measures about a mile in length and just under a mile wide. Don't let its tiny size put you off though, as the perfect holiday destination, it will deliver everything you want and more.

There are a number of ways to get to the Gilis - if you're staying near the airport on Bali, you can fly to Lombok and then get a boat to the Gilis. We were on the east coast of Bali so our options were a superfast speedboat that takes just over an hour, a slow ferry that takes about five hours, or a boat/bus/boat combination that took a hefty nine hours. You probably don't need any prizes for guessing which options the Sawyers took - we were down to our final two weeks so just want to get from A to B as quickly as possible, no more random long journeys for us!

Most of the accommodation on Gili Trawangan is situated on the eastern side, although as the island gets more developed, there's now a handful of places along the north and south coasts, and no doubt construction will continue. At the moment the island still has that paradise island feel, but it's probably one of those places you could go back to in five years and not recognise it for all the fancy resorts that have sprung up. The majority of the accommodation is still fairly basic huts and bungalows, so we turned up and found a little bungalow at Warna's just off the beach.

There is very little fresh water on the island, so unless you're staying at one of the luxurious places, you'll be showering in saline water. My immediate thought was 'what is salt water going to do to the 'fro?!', but my hair has never looked and felt better - it gives you that 'beach hair' look without spending a fortune on Bumble and Bumble and Bed Head products! So girls, hair tip of the day for you - wash your hair in salt water for that just stepped off the beach look ;- )

There are no cars and motorbikes on the island, and you can take a leisurely walk around the whole island in about an hour and a half, but if you're feeling particularly lazy, you can hire a cidomo (horse and cart). Personally, I wouldn't use the horse and carts - the horses don't look like they are treated particularly well and have such sad little faces. I guess you'd have a sad little face if you were standing outside in the sunshine and heat, and then dragging heavy carts around.

We planned to stay for a week on the island but ended up staying for twelve days, the majority of our remaining time, because we really couldn't think of a better place to end our travels. In fact we'd still be there now, except we have a flight back to Heathrow looming ever closer!

Daytime on the Gili's are as chilled as it gets and we did nothing more than laying on the beach with a good book and a Binting break for lunch. If you are feeling energetic there are a number of good diving schools on the island, plus you can go snorkelling and on boat trips to the other Gili islands, but we wanted to make the most of our last two weeks doing absolutely 'nothing', in preparation for our return to the, oh so scary, 'real world'.

At night time Gili Trawangan comes alive, the evening normally starting watching a sunset from the south-west coast, and then the beach bars take it in turns to hold parties where you can't help but trip up over the 'shakes' that Trawangan is famous for. Also for an island so small in size, the restaurants are fantastic with seafood and veggie barbeques normally being the order of the day, but whatever you fancy, you'll find it in one of the beach front restaurants on the east coast.

For those nights when you want a chilled one, a couple of the bars have huts where if you spend 30,000 Rupiah (just under 2 pounds) on food and drink, you can watch DVDs or play computer games (Pro Evo Football anyone ;- )) in your own little hut - watching a DVD with the sound of the sea underneath you has never been so appealing!

Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on what's more important to you - an unspoilt paradise island or the need for a big sports screen), Trawangan is home to a really good sports pub, so we saw The Ashes (slightly less lairy than when we watched the Second Test in Bali with all the Aussies), the Charity Shield (Tom maintains that it's the first of five trophies that Chelsea are going to win this season!), but more importantly, where late one night, we heard the very sad news that Bobby Robson had died. When you've been away for so long you're out of touch with the outside world, so even though we knew he was ill, we hadn't realised he was 'that' ill. RIP Bobby you lovely, lovely man.

On a lighter note, Trawangan will forever be known as 'The place Tom got his flip-flops nicked'! As any of you who've been to Asia will know, it's customary to leave your shoes outside certain buildings. We went to use the internet one night, duly left our flip-flops outside, and just ten minutes later left to hear Tom declaring 'I can't find my blue Havaianas!' To give the benefit of the doubt, there is a (very) small chance that someone mistakenly put Tom's on, but looking at the motley pile that were left (proper skanky traveller flip-flops), then I think it's more likely that some toerag thought that he could do with a nice pair of Havaianas courtesy of Tom! Poor Tom then had to walk barefoot back to our bungalow in the dark, trying to carefully avoid the piles of horse **** on the street!

So there you have it, Gili Trawangan, paradise....just hold onto your flip-flops ;- )

Unfortunately, we have to leave our little piece of paradise tomorrow to get a boat back to Bali, and spend just the one night in Kuta (aka the Bintang vest capital of the world) before our flight back to Bangkok.

Enjoyed your tale v much Barbie. Did you venture into Horizontal (my mate Guy's bar?!). Gili T is a special little island, but developing very fast. I was there 4 years ago and really moving upmarket with all the fast boats from Bali. I love the Gilis so much I'm looking at buying land in Meno, which sd be safe for a few years yet, then can hop over to Gili T for restaurants and bar action.

You care to share more tales about Indo? My favourite country in Asia BTW

Enjoyed your tale v much Barbie. Did you venture into Horizontal (my mate Guy's bar?!). Gili T is a special little island, but developing very fast. I was there 4 years ago and really moving upmarket with all the fast boats from Bali. I love the Gilis so much I'm looking at buying land in Meno, which sd be safe for a few years yet, then can hop over to Gili T for restaurants and bar action.

You care to share more tales about Indo? My favourite country in Asia BTW

Ahh small world, our bungalow was next to Horizontal so we went there quite a few times - very nice bar/restaurant :D

I thought the Gilis were such a tiny piece of paradise, I just hope that they don't take the development too far on Gili T :confused:

We spent 6 months in SE Asia last year and Indonesia was probably my favourite country too - the people, the beaches, the 'stuff' to do, the food, was the best of our travels.

We spent 2 weeks in Java (Yogyakarta, Borobudur, Prambanan and the absolute hightlight climbing Gunung Bromo for sunrise). Because they don't get a lot of western tourists, the people there were absolutely wonderful - everyone wanted to speak to us, have a photo taken with us, shake our hand and thank us for visiting their island.

We also did 3 weeks in Bali, which I liked much more than I expected to, especially Ubud.

And then finished up with 2 weeks on the Gilis.

A lot of people miss out on Indonesia if they're travelling around Asia and I don't understand why, as for me personally, it has everything that say Thailand has, but does it better....and cheaper....and they sell Bintang beer - probably the 2nd best lager in the world ;)

We are going back next year and want to do Borneo, Sumatra, Lombok, Flores and Komodo island - any advice? Or any other must do islands?

Ahh I could talk about Indonesia all day, in fact what I would do for a nice cold Bintang right now :lol:;)

Two fantastic reviews, thanks for sharing them - great to read on a friday afternoon at work 8)8)

Two fantastic reviews, thanks for sharing them - great to read on a friday afternoon at work 8)8)

Ditto.

It sounds like my idea of heaven. I'm so there 8)

It sounds quite similiar to the Maldives which is my favourite place so far. Will seriously look into going there.

more Indo stories

I've been to Indonesia seven times, and travelled across much of the country, though as there are 170000 islands there are big gaps! I mainly write for Lonely Planet in Indo. Here are a couple of short stories about other places in the country I've contributed to the new edition of Make the Most of Your Time on Earth, to be published by Rough Guides this year. I'll also have a piece in the Independent 22 May about Lombok.

First one below is about an active volcano in Java, second about an an amazing tribal island called Sumba, not far from N coast of Australia.

HIKING IJEN VOLCANO WITH SULPHUR MINERS

INDONESIA

The ragged-edged smoking cone of the Ijen volcano defines the extreme east of Java. It always pays to get up before dawn if you’re climbing volcanoes, so you can reach the summit before the clouds roll in. But even if you start hiking Ijen at 2am you’ll have plenty of company, for this peak defies its Indonesian name Gunung Ijen (‘lonely mountain’). The volcano spews out sulphur, which is hacked out of the guts of the steaming caldera by hundreds of freelance miners, who get up at an ungodly hour to collect the foul-smelling yellow element. Only those who rise early enough are able to amass enough sulphur to make a day’s pay (US$5), for the volcano’s sulphur output is limited.
Starting from the isolated National Park post at Pos Paltuding, a steep trail ascends up the shoulder of the mountain, passing through tropical forest that’s home to gibbons and patrolled by eagles. You’ll pass a steady stream of miners, who joke and chatter as they balance loads of up to 80kg across their backs in bamboo baskets, their steady progress fuelled by a diet of kretek (clove) cigarettes and black tea. The path switchbacks higher and higher until you emerge above the tree line and a spellbinding view of the neighbouring volcanic peaks of Merapi (2802m) and Raung (3332m) opens up. Little grows up here except some hardy bushes, their growth stunted by the howling wind and cold. Finally you reach an exposed viewpoint on the lip of the crater, the electric blue lake below only revealed periodically as gases and steam billow around the cone.
For most visitors this is enough, but it is possible to descend into the crater itself where the miners harvest sulphur (the ‘brimstone’ of biblical times) but, be warned, the vapours can be overpowering. Ijen miners wear no more than cotton scarves to protect themselves from the noxious fumes, but many live to a ripe old age – one man in his mid-70s still does the hike most weeks. Ijen sulphur is mainly used by the cosmetics industry, and is added to fertilizer.

Need to Know: Banyuwangi is the nearest large towns to Ijen. The tourist board here (%t0333 424 172) can organise trips in a 4WD for around US$60 return. The path is easy to follow and takes around two hours to reach the summit.

BLOOD, BONES AND SARONGS

INDONESIA

The island of Sumba is curiously overlooked by most travellers. But with cinnamon and sandalwood trees, colossal tombstones and an indigenous religion (Marapu) that involves bloody funeral sacrifices it’s an isolated but fascinating place. A century or so ago, slaves would have accompanied their masters to the grave, but today the Jakarta government limits sacrifices to a few large animals per ceremony.
Local tourism officials will keep you informed about upcoming events and advise you about the protocol. Foreigners are usually made very welcome but it’s essential to take a few gifts: sugar and tobacco are preferred (dentists and government health warnings are not taken very seriously in these parts). Attire is important. You’ll be supplied with a sarong (made from ikat fabric) and turban-style headdress. It’s customary to chew sirih (betel nut), a mild stimulant, which is mixed with lime. This provides a mild buzz, tastes like spicy chalk dust, and gives you a somewhat rabid appearance thanks to its scarlet colour and foaming consistency. You gob out the foul residue (though not on your sarong of course).
On the day of the event, hundreds, often thousands, of neighbouring villagers arrive to pay their respects. Guests are fed, watered and given sirih. The main ceremony begins with the pounding of drums and sounding of gongs. Buffaloes (and sometimes pigs and horses) are lead into the village square and one-by-one put to the sword to satisfy the Marapu gods. It’s a grisly sight, as a turban-wearing executioner delivers a coup de grace with a machete blow to the neck and blood waters the earth. And yet all parts of the animals are shared and eaten (even buffalo skulls are retained as trophies). The grave is lined with precious ikat and a stone tombstone erected.
Bizarrely, it’s quite regular for funerals to be completed many years after a death, when the family can afford it. Some canny folk even pay in advance (and attend) their own funeral. So if you meet a chief who seems in rude health but is getting buried in the morning, accept his invitation with a smile.

Need to Know: Contact the tourist office (%t0387 21240) in Waikabubak for information about upcoming funerals. Staff will act as guides and help with introductions and etiquette (a small tip is appreciated).

Here are a couple of short stories about other places in the country I've contributed to the new edition of Make the Most of Your Time on Earth, to be published by Rough Guides this year.

I LOVE that book 8)

First one below is about an active volcano in Java, second about an an amazing tribal island called Sumba, not far from N coast of Australia.

HIKING IJEN VOLCANO WITH SULPHUR MINERS

INDONESIA

The ragged-edged smoking cone of the Ijen volcano defines the extreme east of Java. It always pays to get up before dawn if you’re climbing volcanoes, so you can reach the summit before the clouds roll in. But even if you start hiking Ijen at 2am you’ll have plenty of company, for this peak defies its Indonesian name Gunung Ijen (‘lonely mountain’). The volcano spews out sulphur, which is hacked out of the guts of the steaming caldera by hundreds of freelance miners, who get up at an ungodly hour to collect the foul-smelling yellow element. Only those who rise early enough are able to amass enough sulphur to make a day’s pay (US$5), for the volcano’s sulphur output is limited.
Starting from the isolated National Park post at Pos Paltuding, a steep trail ascends up the shoulder of the mountain, passing through tropical forest that’s home to gibbons and patrolled by eagles. You’ll pass a steady stream of miners, who joke and chatter as they balance loads of up to 80kg across their backs in bamboo baskets, their steady progress fuelled by a diet of kretek (clove) cigarettes and black tea. The path switchbacks higher and higher until you emerge above the tree line and a spellbinding view of the neighbouring volcanic peaks of Merapi (2802m) and Raung (3332m) opens up. Little grows up here except some hardy bushes, their growth stunted by the howling wind and cold. Finally you reach an exposed viewpoint on the lip of the crater, the electric blue lake below only revealed periodically as gases and steam billow around the cone.
For most visitors this is enough, but it is possible to descend into the crater itself where the miners harvest sulphur (the ‘brimstone’ of biblical times) but, be warned, the vapours can be overpowering. Ijen miners wear no more than cotton scarves to protect themselves from the noxious fumes, but many live to a ripe old age – one man in his mid-70s still does the hike most weeks. Ijen sulphur is mainly used by the cosmetics industry, and is added to fertilizer.

Need to Know: Banyuwangi is the nearest large towns to Ijen. The tourist board here (%t0333 424 172) can organise trips in a 4WD for around US$60 return. The path is easy to follow and takes around two hours to reach the summit.

BLOOD, BONES AND SARONGS

INDONESIA

The island of Sumba is curiously overlooked by most travellers. But with cinnamon and sandalwood trees, colossal tombstones and an indigenous religion (Marapu) that involves bloody funeral sacrifices it’s an isolated but fascinating place. A century or so ago, slaves would have accompanied their masters to the grave, but today the Jakarta government limits sacrifices to a few large animals per ceremony.
Local tourism officials will keep you informed about upcoming events and advise you about the protocol. Foreigners are usually made very welcome but it’s essential to take a few gifts: sugar and tobacco are preferred (dentists and government health warnings are not taken very seriously in these parts). Attire is important. You’ll be supplied with a sarong (made from ikat fabric) and turban-style headdress. It’s customary to chew sirih (betel nut), a mild stimulant, which is mixed with lime. This provides a mild buzz, tastes like spicy chalk dust, and gives you a somewhat rabid appearance thanks to its scarlet colour and foaming consistency. You gob out the foul residue (though not on your sarong of course).
On the day of the event, hundreds, often thousands, of neighbouring villagers arrive to pay their respects. Guests are fed, watered and given sirih. The main ceremony begins with the pounding of drums and sounding of gongs. Buffaloes (and sometimes pigs and horses) are lead into the village square and one-by-one put to the sword to satisfy the Marapu gods. It’s a grisly sight, as a turban-wearing executioner delivers a coup de grace with a machete blow to the neck and blood waters the earth. And yet all parts of the animals are shared and eaten (even buffalo skulls are retained as trophies). The grave is lined with precious ikat and a stone tombstone erected.
Bizarrely, it’s quite regular for funerals to be completed many years after a death, when the family can afford it. Some canny folk even pay in advance (and attend) their own funeral. So if you meet a chief who seems in rude health but is getting buried in the morning, accept his invitation with a smile.

Need to Know: Contact the tourist office (%t0387 21240) in Waikabubak for information about upcoming funerals. Staff will act as guides and help with introductions and etiquette (a small tip is appreciated).

Ahh wonderful reading :D We wanted to do Ijen Volcano but did Bromo instead.

Love the reference to the Clove cigarettes - EVERYWHERE you go in Indonesia you smell clove, I smoked them for a few weeks before realising how strong they actually are :eek:

I'm in Bali right now.....every year i's getting busier and busier with too much traffic.
Lots of things now happening in the Gillis....It's going to take off big time very soon.

to me it sounds like Gili Trawangan has already taken off big time. Last time I was there it was a very tranquil place, nice community feeling, nothing upscale, just lots of shrooms and snorkling. Playstation games, trance parties, big screen movies etc Ive seen what that has done to places like Koh Phangan, Vang Vieng etc. I hope they keep it under control, I would be gutted if the little coral that was left would dissapear.
I-Spy, the forum celebrity J is also in Bali right now 8)

Bali Hai...Bali Hai...

Great piece! Bali is the only country I was quite sad to leave. I was actually balling like a girl stood up for the prom when I hopped on my flight to Tokyo. I partied almost everyday, ate like a queen, surfed, took a Balinese dancing class and I think I paid $1000 for three weeks..including a hotel!!!!

I wish you didn't mention Bali or Gili Trawangan:evil:...it's a great secret that the scene there is like Ibiza! Did you check out any one-off parties like Ku De Ta or the White Party? I went to a few raves around Uluwatu which were amazing! You must make local friends quickly to find out about them though. If I had enough vacation time I would choose Bali over Ibiza every time!!!! No contest! Sorry Ibiza Spotlight!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bali is actually an island, not a country (though some might say it's a state of mind!)

Ku de Ta is everything I wanted Cafe del Mar to be...

At night it's a supernatural scene with spotlights picking out the sea spray of the Indian Ocean rollers just offshore, the ocean mist suspended in the ink-black tropical night sky

http://www.kudeta.net

Lovely reading, thanks for sharing.

We visited Bali eight years ago and were totally captivated by the place. The Balinese people were remarkably friendly and sincere. Could live there tomorrow at the drop of a hat.

The scene in Bali like Ibiza? No offence but that doesnt make sense to me at all. Dont get me wrong, Bali is a beautiful sometimes mystical place with great cuisine and lovely locals. But the party scene in Kuta or Ubud doesnt even come close to Ibiza. Bali is for Ossies like Cancun is for americans. Its all great fun but it doesnt have clubs like DC10, underground, Amnesia etc, or groundbreaking djs (not to mention the danger/difficulty/price of indulging). Bali to me is about foggy rice terraces, wooden villas, temples, colourful festivals, amazing food and just a overal chilled out vibe.

Great piece! Bali is the only country I was quite sad to leave. I was actually balling like a girl stood up for the prom when I hopped on my flight to Tokyo. I partied almost everyday, ate like a queen, surfed, took a Balinese dancing class and I think I paid $1000 for three weeks..including a hotel!!!!

I wish you didn't mention Bali or Gili Trawangan:evil:...it's a great secret that the scene there is like Ibiza! Did you check out any one-off parties like Ku De Ta or the White Party? I went to a few raves around Uluwatu which were amazing! You must make local friends quickly to find out about them though. If I had enough vacation time I would choose Bali over Ibiza every time!!!! No contest! Sorry Ibiza Spotlight!

I usually spend 2 months a year in Bali....it is one of my favourite places in the world.
Also I love to surf.
However the party scene has taken a dip there over the past few years. Eight years ago I woud compare some of the nights to Ibiza, but now they are far and few between. Some of the one off parties at Kudata are good...and the occasional one at Karma Kandara.
Stay well away from anything in Kuta though....it is truly awful.
Try to stay in anywhere north of Legian (Canngu good).
The prices have also crept up.
Kudata now charges £10 for a Vodka plus mixer or a glass of wine.....same in Living Room. This was due to a luxury tax on alchohol....which has been abolished, but I doubt if anyone will now reduce the prices.
Forget about doing drugs in Bali....it is very, very dangerous. I can't emphasize this enough. You can be put in jail on the basis of a urine test.
Mushrooms are ok though, I think, as they don't seem to be illegal.
It is still possible to find reasonably priced villas there...we rented one this year , 3 bedrooms and a pool for 1200 euros per month.
If anybody needs a villa...pm me and I could point you in the right direction.
Gilli T is def on the way up....the music scene is still quite dated though, with quite a lot of trance being played last time I went. It might be better now.
Bali ticks a lot of boxes...but don't expect them to be the same boxes as Ibiza.

I was in the Gili islands in 2002 or 2003. Had an amazing time!!! When I went there weren't many tourists, the shakes were pretty amazing and it was very beautiful and like many others stayed longer than I planned to. But it is nothing like Ibiza and never will be. I also don't think the Gilis are anything undiscovered... I know of many people who have been there and they have been in Lonely Planet for ages!!

But still, a lot of good fun!

Also, I don't remember any slick bars at all....or bars that much at all to be honest. The shakes were there and teh best I ever had and it was still an amazing place but there wasn't much of any scene there at all! But still great§!:)

Also, I don't remember any slick bars at all....or bars that much at all to be honest. The shakes were there and teh best I ever had and it was still an amazing place but there wasn't much of any scene there at all! But still great§!:)

Gili T has changed more than any place I've ever seen in the last 3 years. Not all good, but all places are low rise, many built from natural materials. Plenty of upmarket options, check out Horizontal or the new Shack bar.

Of course it' s not Ibiza, it's a desert island with a population of 1500! But the boho vibe is perhaps comparable to the early days in Ibiza.

Back