The Courteneers + Boxed In @ Ibiza Rocks (16-09-15)

McRackin

Super Moderator
The Ibiza Rocks closing is always a huge night on the Ibiza calendar and this year wasn't going to be any different...

After celebrating her birthday at Santos, Ley Dj from Valencia was back to the Ibiza Rocks Hotel on the warm up duties. Like when she opened for De La Soul one month ago, she also played later at Rock Nights in Pikes for the afterparty.

P1270669+-+copia.jpg

London-based producer and musician Oli Bayston released the self-titled debut from his own project Boxed In at the beginning of the year, which was met with mass critical acclaim.

Two days after seeing Oli and his band at the Ibiza Rocks Bar, we had another chance to enjoy the quartet's electronic/Indie Pop with echoes of New Order, hazy vocals, hypnotic rhytms and repetitive bass lines. We heard songs from the album, including the singles "Run Quicker", "Mystery" and of course "All Your Love Is Gone", and also "Full Circle" (a collaboration with dj friend George Fitzgerald, who played last night at Paradise in DC10 and where the boys went later).

Boxed In are simply one of the best and more promising new bands out there!

P1270785+-+copia.JPG

After the resident dj Patrick Nazemi, who nailed a superb Manchester Indie anthems set, it was time for the last gig of the season. Having played the very final show of Mallorca Rocks last summer, it was about time The Courteeners played here again as it's been five years since the last time we saw them on that stage.

In their third show at Ibiza Rocks, Liam Fray (vocals and guitar), Daniel Moores (guitar), Michael Campbell (drums and backing vocals) and Mark Cuppello (bass) plus live member Adam Payne (keyboards and backing vocals) came to present their fourth release Concrete Love (2014) although in the end it was more like a greatest hits as only three songs from their latest album were played. Straight after the intro ("Rock'N'Roll Star" by Oasis), the Mancunians cranked into "Are You In Love With A Notion?", followed by "Cavorting", "How Good It Was ", "Lose Control", a cover of "Champagne Supernova" (yep, Oasis again!), "Small Bones" and "Next Time You Call" among others, to finish on a high note with "Not Nineteen Forever" and "What Took You So Long?". During the last one a guy climbed the soundboard booth, where he stayed for a while clearly having a ball, and then dived into the pool (nice work, spiderman!). The rest of the band retired but Liam went down to the photo pit to shake hands with the euphoric fans on the front row.

Their formula is simple but effective: a rich catalogue of catchy melodies, endless sing-a-longs and plenty of moments of Rock'n'Roll frenzy... they never fail!

P1280315+-+copia.JPG

And as it's not over until the fat lady sings, the drag queen Tom Lee a.k.a. Ruby Murry (which some of you might have seen at Pikes on saturdays) jumped on stage to sing Pavarotti's "Nessun Dorma"... so random but so good!

P1280570+-+copia.JPG

The 10th season is over and what a season it has been... Aside from the cancellation of Spandau Ballet, which was a let down for everybody, it's been fourteen exciting weeks. From consolidated artists (Jungle, The Libertines, Rudimental or De La Soul) to the freshest new talent (Shura, The Bulletproof Bomb, Karen Harding or Lion Babe), the number of memorable concerts is impressive. If I had to choose, I would say Catfish & The Bottlemen were my favourites with Slaves as a close second!

Contrary to what happened in previous years, the opening and closing dates for next season are not 100% decided yet but I'm sure we'll know them soon. Anyway, roll on summer 2016...

Boxed In setlist:
Foot Of The Hill
Sailing
Run Quicker
No Joke
Full Circle [George Fitzgerald]
Mystery
All Your Love Is Gone
False Alarm

The Courteeners setlist:

Are You In Love With A Notion?
Cavorting
Acrylic
Push Yourself
How Good It Was
Please Don't
Lose Control
Bide Your Time
Sycophant
Take Over The World
Champagne Supernova [Oasis]
Small Bones
Next Time You Call
Not Nineteen Forever
What Took You So Long?

Adam Craft said:
Ibiza Vlog 021. This week i go to the Ibiza Rocks Closing party with the Courteeners. Then head to the Curry club for some dinner. Only 2 more weeks of work! Then i can have a holiday! Woo! Cant wait.

Back