Tax- Do you give more than you get? (UK based thread)

-£27221:evil:??
Dont understand it either

"Households in the tenth decile (=spacemonkey) pay £34,161 tax, on average. This includes £3,745 in VAT. They receive benefits of £6,940. This is made up of £5,287 in the form of services, such as healthcare or education and cash benefits of £1,653. This includes things such as child benefit or pensions."

So you pay into UK plc - £27221 overall

On the other hand if you earn say £15000

"Households in the fourth decile pay £6,250 tax, on average. This includes £1,315 in VAT. They receive benefits of £15,289. This is made up of £7,117 in the form of services, such as healthcare or education and cash benefits of £8,172. This includes things such as child benefit or pensions."

So you get out of UK plc - £9039 overall

The more you earn, the more tax you pay.

Most of the services you receive - national, police etc. etc. are assumed to be of a fixed, or average value.

So if you are a high earner, you are paying more in taxes than the value of state supplied services that you actually benefit from.

It's a very rough calculation though - nowhere to document if you've enjoyed months of hospital care or major surgery at state expense.

BIG pinch of salt needed.

was away to say, haven't used any services in the past year or hardly ever, my coonsil tax covers all the local shiz no?

still reckon im gettin hee haw....

that said, if i continue on the same trajectory as I'm on now I'll be getting my moneys worth from 40+

Aye **** knows how they work it out. They must be going by expenditure per capita and then factoring in a percentage of how much is spent in total compared to your contribution.

So in the short term view i get hee haw but in the longer picture I'll use more publicly funded services.

i don't really have an issue with tax. like i said earlier ill get looked after when i need it etc. i rarely even look at my gross pay anyway, its like it never existed in the first place.

I don't have a problem with taxes either.

There's a quotation i agree with:

"All I want from my Government is to be left alone".

So take the taxes and let me get on with it :lol:

Lee 'Scratch' Perry said:
I look upon it from a balance point of view because if it wasn't for tax so many people die because some people don't have job. It a little bit rough and tough without the tax. Half the world would be eating and drinking, and the other half would die beause they wouldn't have anything. It's ok for me, it's a little bit tough but somebody have to help somebody.

an tings...

i have a simple method which has enabled me to avoid paying any tax on my last 15 years of legal employment in ibiza - i merely earn less than the tax threshold - almost anyone can do it.

every year they send me a letter (35 cents) to say i have a rebate of 1 centimo and what would i like to do with it - tick one box and return
have it paid into my bank
give it to the church
let the hacienda keep it.

i've never invested in the 35 cents needed to reply

Last edited by a moderator:
^(the Lee Scratch Perry quote) And that's why I don't mind paying tax. Even though I'm on a low(ish) wage, I get less out (now) than I put in.

i don't really have an issue with tax. like i said earlier ill get looked after when i need it etc. i rarely even look at my gross pay anyway, its like it never existed in the first place.
It's pretty customary around here to negotiate with your employer for your net pay, not gross... and that's with our 13% tax rate! I'd think it would be par for the course in the UK.

Back