SW4

^^^ I think that's a fair assessment. Just seems a shame to be wasting all that talent on limited sound.

What I don't understand is that they gradually increase sound volumes throughout the day... surely if you're a resident and you're going to complain about noise then you're going to be more irked at noise later in the day, than earlier?

Last edited:
^^^ Exactly what we were saying on the day.

- If you take a look around the area the noise disturbance from the site is minimal, can barely be heard from bits of the common surrounding it

- I'd be very surprised if even the closest residents could hear much at all from their flats/houses, not above the noise of traffic on the roads surrounding the common or people going about their lives as they do daily

- residents of Notting Hill put up with a hell of a lot more on the same weekend, yet the carnival goes on. Appreciated the reasons for this are different but if I wasn't joining in the festivities I'd much prefer the slim possibility of hearing a dull thump in the distance at Clapham than boarding up my windows with a massive party literally on my doorstep in Notting Hill

^^^ Exactly what we were saying on the day.

- If you take a look around the area the noise disturbance from the site is minimal, can barely be heard from bits of the common surrounding it

- I'd be very surprised if even the closest residents could hear much at all from their flats/houses, not above the noise of traffic on the roads surrounding the common or people going about their lives as they do daily

- residents of Notting Hill put up with a hell of a lot more on the same weekend, yet the carnival goes on. Appreciated the reasons for this are different but if I wasn't joining in the festivities I'd much prefer the slim possibility of hearing a dull thump in the distance at Clapham than boarding up my windows with a massive party literally on my doorstep in Notting Hill
Agree with this 100%. At Notting Hill on Sunday I walked past the Pineapple Tribe sound system and was literally nearly blown off my feet by the bass...you could feel it in your chest...so loud it was ridiculous. Disco Hustlers was just as loud...and they were all on residential roads...I guess the argument would be that Notting Hill shuts off the music at 7pm...SW4 is 10pm. They just do seem ultra-strict at Clapham Common..I remember one of the first ones...2004 or whenever it was...and walking to the venue I went past at least 2 small groups with sound-monitoring equipment...the residents have been against it from the beginning. It's why Lovebox moved as well...Groove Armada got fed up with it...

Just out of interest and curiosity...why do a lot of you go back year after year if you know the sound is going to be such a frustrating issue? Is the line-up too good to pass?

Agree with this 100%. At Notting Hill on Sunday I walked past the Pineapple Tribe sound system and was literally nearly blown off my feet by the bass...you could feel it in your chest...so loud it was ridiculous. Disco Hustlers was just as loud...and they were all on residential roads...I guess the argument would be that Notting Hill shuts off the music at 7pm...SW4 is 10pm. They just do seem ultra-strict at Clapham Common..I remember one of the first ones...2004 or whenever it was...and walking to the venue I went past at least 2 small groups with sound-monitoring equipment...the residents have been against it from the beginning. It's why Lovebox moved as well...Groove Armada got fed up with it...

NIMBYs! They must have more clout as a lot of these London festivals are relatively new so a precedent can be set and they're limited right from the off. Notting Hill carnival's been around for 50ish years so the vast majority of people living there now moved in with the knowledge that 2 days out of 365 there's a big party so might have less of an argument against it.

Saying that, it hasn't stopped people moving next to one of the world's busiest airports being able to greatly delay its expansion.

Just out of interest and curiosity...why do a lot of you go back year after year if you know the sound is going to be such a frustrating issue? Is the line-up too good to pass?

It's a good point and reflective of how things can sound when written on a message board after the event rather than being there having a party. Whilst I grumble a bit about the sound afterwards, when I'm there I'm having a whale of a time with a big group of friends who can all make it as it's local and features a lot of acts they've heard of so will want to come along to.

It's a great big party with great music that might not be at its sonically best but that doesn't really matter when you're getting to spend all day with your mates dancing around and having a good time.

It's a good point and reflective of how things can sound when written on a message board after the event rather than being there having a party. Whilst I grumble a bit about the sound afterwards, when I'm there I'm having a whale of a time with a big group of friends who can all make it as it's local and features a lot of acts they've heard of so will want to come along to.

It's a great big party with great music that might not be at its sonically best but that doesn't really matter when you're getting to spend all day with your mates dancing around and having a good time.
Exactly, it's all about who you are with most of the time...and Clapham Common is in such a good convenient place. We often go to The Windmill to meet friends and not even go in the festival...it's a good atmosphere in the area. Last year the Sunday was the loudest I've heard the main stage so far for Prydz and Deadmau5...but didn't go this year so cant comment. It has always been quiet...but you always have a great day...it's a weird one

Fair play, wasn't trying to have a dig at anyone just curious.

I'm in London too and just always had a better time at Carnival, but the music and vibe there not for everyone.

Fair play, wasn't trying to have a dig at anyone just curious.

I'm in London too and just always had a better time at Carnival, but the music and vibe there not for everyone.
I think I'm always going to veer towards carnival now as well...better atmos...funny what being free, taking your own drink and having no security can do to a crowd! Just a shame it ends so early...officially ;-)

Exactly, it's all about who you are with most of the time...and Clapham Common is in such a good convenient place. We often go to The Windmill to meet friends and not even go in the festival...it's a good atmosphere in the area. Last year the Sunday was the loudest I've heard the main stage so far for Prydz and Deadmau5...but didn't go this year so cant comment. It has always been quiet...but you always have a great day...it's a weird one

Agree with this, though we all bitch about the sound levels on here, it's a minor issue really.
First and foremost, you're having a great day seeing some quality acts and if you had never been to another festival before, you probably wouldn't notice any difference.
But if you're comparing it to something like EDC or Creamfields, or the Ibiza clubs, that's when you notice it's a bit quieter. Minor gripe though really, I'll defo return as Notting Hill carnival defo not up my street, mainly on account of the music. It's reggae mainly isn't it? House over Reggae for me.

And good point on last year. Deadmau5' set in particular seemed as loud as any other time I've seen him.
Knowing what a whiny little bitch Joel can be though, he probably told them he'd only play if they raised the levels or something. Probably hard to disagree with him when he was the main headliner and had probably accounted for about 90% of the Sunday ticket sales

It's reggae mainly isn't it? House over Reggae for me.

If you have never been deffo give Carnival a go one year - there is something for everyone there music wise…you'll find house, garage and jungle there deffo - it isn't all reggae, soca and regaeton….maybe not techno though…it really is an assault on all of the senses. Maybe try next year on the Monday after SW4 if you are still alive? If there weather is good it is hard to beat for me.

Agree with this, though we all bitch about the sound levels on here, it's a minor issue really.
First and foremost, you're having a great day seeing some quality acts and if you had never been to another festival before, you probably wouldn't notice any difference.
But if you're comparing it to something like EDC or Creamfields, or the Ibiza clubs, that's when you notice it's a bit quieter. Minor gripe though really, I'll defo return as Notting Hill carnival defo not up my street, mainly on account of the music. It's reggae mainly isn't it? House over Reggae for me.

And good point on last year. Deadmau5' set in particular seemed as loud as any other time I've seen him.
Knowing what a whiny little bitch Joel can be though, he probably told them he'd only play if they raised the levels or something. Probably hard to disagree with him when he was the main headliner and had probably accounted for about 90% of the Sunday ticket sales
I was a sceptic on Notting Hill carnival for years...but then I went. If you do a bit of research beforehand there are some wicked house music sound systems...and really really loud as well. It is such a good atmosphere as it's free and everyone has bought their own supplies...

Back