Sustainable Ibiza

I think the subject of plastics is very interesting. Of course we all want to do our bit and use reusable bottles, but with the lack of desalinated water how do we do that? Is there pressure on the bottled water producers to change their packaging?

We can all do more... One thing I know in my heart of hearts can be done to reduce single-use plastics is to eliminate straws! Where I live there is a law in place that says instead of the restaurant automatically giving you a straw with your drink that one can be provided only if requested. I catch them all the time trying to give out straws anyway. The status quo is a very powerful thing - no one wants to go against a well established norm. But that is one little thing that most people can do. For people with disabilities that make it hard to not use a straw there are stainless steel straws you can buy - my aunt has these; despite not being handicapped. And they come with their own cleaning kit! :)

Great to see you covering this topic. It was great last year to see events at Benimussa Park had a refundable 1 euro cup fee to encourage people to return cups so they could be cleaned and reused or at least effectively recycled.

Perhaps a future article could address trash. It's not a glamorous topic, but particularly on an island it's a big deal. While single used plastic is a concern, the crisis around ocean plastic is going to be affected by what people leave behind on the beach or otherwise let find its way into the sea. That's not just just straws and cups, but also broken sunglasses, abandoned floats, and all sorts of other debris that is carelessly lost or left behind.

Great to see you covering this topic. It was great last year to see events at Benimussa Park had a refundable 1 euro cup fee to encourage people to return cups so they could be cleaned and reused or at least effectively recycled.

Perhaps a future article could address trash. It's not a glamorous topic, but particularly on an island it's a big deal. While single used plastic is a concern, the crisis around ocean plastic is going to be affected by what people leave behind on the beach or otherwise let find its way into the sea. That's not just just straws and cups, but also broken sunglasses, abandoned floats, and all sorts of other debris that is carelessly lost or left behind.

there will be more news on the trash and single use plastic subject this year. it's not ready to go just yet, but things are moving here and there.

Great to see this subject gain traction with the new collaboration. Personally I think the procedures at the hotels / apartments need looked at urgently. Where we stay; there is one bin for ALL rubbish in the room. We keep plastic aside and take it down to the specific recycling bins at the beach. Some may already do it, and separate bins in rooms for general / plastic & paper / tin / food etc island wide is probably a long way off, but a consensus between the hoteliers to aim for would be great.

Our hotel also encourages people to leave behind umbrellas, lilos, bat & ball etc in a storage room so other guests arriving can re use. Nothing more depressing than seeing a deflated flamingo hanging out of a bin.

Great to see this subject gain traction with the new collaboration. Personally I think the procedures at the hotels / apartments need looked at urgently. Where we stay; there is one bin for ALL rubbish in the room. We keep plastic aside and take it down to the specific recycling bins at the beach. Some may already do it, and separate bins in rooms for general / plastic & paper / tin / food etc island wide is probably a long way off, but a consensus between the hoteliers to aim for would be great.

Our hotel also encourages people to leave behind umbrellas, lilos, bat & ball etc in a storage room so other guests arriving can re use. Nothing more depressing than seeing a deflated flamingo hanging out of a bin.
I kept my cans and bottles separate too, as the hotel had recycle bins at the end of each block. But confusingly only plastic and paper, so the metal cans went in general waste ?‍♂️.

in ibiza everybody deposits their rubbish in the big colour coded containers in the street which are all fairly close to each other so you never have to drive very far in your 8 litre pick up to get to one. this article tells you what goes where

and you can also recycle your old chip fat in special containers too!

100% support this initiative. We always try to do our bit. Cala Gracio looked quite forlorn last time for the amount of rubbish left around (beer bottles in the water - disgusting).

On a broader environmental theme, am intrigued by how IBZ (and other destinations) will respond if someone like Greta turns up one day in a dhow and calls on everyone to boycott flights or pollutant ships. Is the industry worried or is this not taken seriously?

Back