Strike at Spanish airports expected

Jonny68

A few of my mates are flying this Saturday, just thought id post this anyway for anyone else flying out this weekend.

Strike at Spanish airports expected

Thursday, 26 June 2008 17:35
Irish holidaymakers flying to and from the Spanish islands of Majorca, Ibiza and Menorca face major delays this weekend.
A strike by ground staff on Saturday is expected to affect around half of the flights into the Balearic islands, if it goes ahead as planned.
Some 1,000 Spanish workers, including baggage handlers, airport bus drivers and catering staff, plan to stage the first of three 24-hour stoppages from midnight on Friday.

Two other walk-outs have been called for 1 July and 5 July - major travelling days as the height of the holiday season in Spain gets under way.
The industrial action is over a new contract covering wages, working conditions and hours.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0626/travel.html

hopefully flying late tonight and landing at 2.00am tomorrow morning will allow us to slip through the net :lol::lol::lol::lol:

A bit of subject but if you are bringing goodies with you, pretend to be muslim!! See below from London Paper. Only on public transport but surely won't be long before this excuse is used on the planes!

Sniffer dog searches and X-ray machines spark religious objections from London's Muslims by Richard Moriarty. Friday, 27 June 2008 Improved security checks on London's public transport system have put the police on collision course with Muslims over fears they are at odds with the religion.

Extra sniffer dogs and X-ray machines for screening bags have given to the British Transport Police who patrol the Tube and the rail system in an effort to prevent terror attacks.

But some Muslims have complained that being searched by dogs is against their faith because dogs are "spiritually unclean".

And some female Muslims have complained that X-ray machines are unacceptable because it was the same as being forced to strip.

During trials of the new resources in the capital, passengers had the exterior of their luggage checked by dogs.

But one Asian man told researchers: I don't mind dogs in the park or walking near me, but sniffer dogs? I don' think that's right."

A Muslim woman, asked to walk through a scanner, also complained saying: "Sometimes I wear clothing which is not so tight. It will be shown on (the monitor) and somebody is looking at it. It defeats the whole purpose of covering up."

But a BTP spokesman said that the security checks would continue but officers would be considerate.

He said: "We are obviously aware of and sensitive to any cultural sensitivities. BTP officers do have the power to stop and search anyone under the Terrorism Act.

"This also covers use of the dog handlers and dogs, which are used to 'indicate' any substance they have been trained to detect

Back