Stress reduction with Clubbing

Lurking here a lot has educated me in how many regulars (right word?) here, with many more nights than me under their belt, have kept up their obvious love of clubbing. This seems to be with patience, positivity and a genuine love of the island which has impressed me greatly. Reading in preparation for my trip next year has brought back a lot of memories for me and what it has meant in my life. I found this poster online of a night that my friend and I went to in 1996 and I'm feeling slightly nauseous with joyous nostalgia as I write this.
We recognised John Digweed from the Renaissance albums and "For what you dream of" Bedrock. When I think of this night I remember speckled doves, smoke machines and looking down on literally waves of people from a speaker. It was one of the last nights we went to the Hac because we had found a new club... Sankeys Soap.

We'd taken to clubbing every weekend to reduce stress. My friends father was dying and would pass away the following year. I was in a high pressured life and death job in the NHS where back then I was trained to do in one year what would now take 3. We'd wander up the back in Sankeys, meet the guy, hit the dancefloor and all that stress on the shoulders would just disappear. It may sound odd but that year we took a no-nonsense approach to it (we lightened up as both our situations changed).
We'd go to either or both of Bugged Out on Friday and Golden on Saturday night. Their was no internet to educate yourself and being doctors we deliberately kept a low profile but a chat while stitching up a raver the year previously recommended a glass of grapefruit juice only for dinner, head to the club, have one beer then water all night, barely get off the dance floor, finish at 3/4 am, drive home (my bad but this was back in the day when you could have a ciggy on the dance floor), cup of tea, bed, up at midday, pub lunch Sunday to watch the footy and back into the meatgrinder 0800hrs Monday.
Sankeys was such an awesome club (too many stories to recount) and as we went there more and more we got to know everyone in the "club". We didn't have a clue who was playing and just turned up. We became members (difficult - they passed round application forms on the one same night once a year) and watched how the queue of 10 people to get in turned into hundreds. With the multipurpose sliver of metal membership "card" you'd just walk past them all and in.
As time went by I became more trained and less stressed. We met a bigger group of doctors from Liverpool so went to Cream a lot 1997/98.
But when I look upon that year... one of the hardest but best years of my life... did a DJ save my life?
The answer has to be Yes.

Attachments

• IMG_7228.jpg
    IMG_7228.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 7
As a final follow up I thought I'd mention a story of how to "Increase stress due to clubbing".

At Sankeys you often got to know folks because some nights there was 20 people in the place. Boxing Day 1996 was billed as a biggy and I was pumped "cos I had a day off and it had its own flyer... special guests etc. And there was no one there!!
Around this time we met another doc who'd turned up. He was a bubbly guy the year ahead of us at work and was one of those "chatty" types. You know the ones who sit there chattin' instead of floating off, rolling balls on the dancefloor!!
He'd come back to ours sometimes and we'd try to figure out what sort of music was really working for us... you see there was freaky Goa Trance around then and nights for that but it wasn't that what we wanted. We decided we liked hard house / melodic techno. Only years later did we figure out what we really got off on was TRANCE!
Anyway one night at Sankeys, when our mate was chatting up the back, the dealers girlfriend took a bit of a turn. I don't think it was too bad - things coming on a bit strong - but he sat with her. Chilled everyone out that she was going to be OK and he became one of Mr Big's inner circle/personal dr.
He started going off to the after parties initially waving us goodbye with a big smile.
As time went by he was hanging out at the back more and when we went to buy our goodies we got knowing smiles from the crew up there.
But soon, with a slightly desperate look, he began asking whether we wanted to come back for these afterparties.
"Come on boys - I was snorting coke with Boy George last week... loads of stuff, girls..."
While it had its temptations the priority was to be a good and safe doctor. The therapy of clubbing was helping me to be that... not less.
Also I'd planted my troth with MDMA and there could be no other.
Even with our routine (3 pills) I'd notice that on the Tuesday night - when I'd have to work the whole night and day after - I'd spend the night thinking "I hate this job, I'm packing it in, Poor me!" then after a kip I'd wake up and think jeez WTF was I thinking last night? Everything is cool. Again no internet but we'd figured it was bashing our serotonin levels somehow. Mixmag helped., also a book E is for Ecstasy - remember that?
Anyway as time went by we noticed old mate wasn't there as much and then he disappeared all together...

Fast forward 18 months and we saw him walking down the road with... his fiance.. he looked very awkward introducing us. He was a British/Pakistani and got an arranged marriage!
His girl seemed nice but not the clubbing type. Turns out he got a bit over being Mr Big's chief medical officer and had gone to ground away from the whole scene. Doubt he'd told his fiance much and I hoped she'd keep him on the straight and narrow "cos we all recognise the mad streak in each other eh?
Goes to show - as many know here - its a marathon not a sprint with enjoying the journey of clubbing.
Over and out.

Back