Spotlight Book Club

MARKB

I would like to recommend the following book:

SHANTARAM: by Gregory David Roberts

Amazing true story of an escaped Austrailian Armed Robber finding redemption amongst the slums of Mumbai. He also goes on to live in Afghanistan. Teeming with brilliant characters and anecdotes. It's a whopper of a book too, but every page is fantastic.

The most impressive book i've read since my favourite, Papillion.

I read lots and lots of books, (about three a month) but this one is amazing story.

8)

Any of you lot read any good ones lately?

Last edited by a moderator:
I read 4 books last week whilst recuperating, but due to high levels of legally ingested drugs I couldnt tell you anything about them.....:oops:

On the plus side - I have 4 books to read again :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I read 4 books last week whilst recuperating, but due to high levels of legally ingested drugs I couldnt tell you anything about them.....:oops:

On the plus side - I have 4 books to read again :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol: - off topic have your heard of "The End" Bar in Newcastle?

I just finished White Angels. Book about Real Madrid during the period Beckham signed for them. Not too bad but not as good as Barca by Jimmy Burns or El Macca about Steve Macmanan's time in Spain.

Just started The Spartans by Paul Cartledge. Nothing like Meet The Spartans ;)

Oh yeah read Oakenfold's recently and didn't think it was all that to be honest. It was ok.

I would like to recommend the following book:

SHANTARAM: by Gregory David Roberts

shantaram-aussiecover.jpg

Uncanny! I'd already found the image before I opened the post, because it's so good I had to recommend!

I am still half way through
images

However have finally finished (a brilliant, horrific book):

images

and also recently read this - really good & recommended:
6a00ccff983a1b6ea500ccff8efb454064-500pi

Just finished The Game by Neil Strauss. Amusing in parts, startling in parts, grubby in parts. Some of the characters reminded me of one Wayne18uk.

Also in the middle of "The Command Of The Ocean", a rip-roaring account of the naval history of Britain 1649-1815. Hmm, maybe I should use some of the tips in Strauss' book...

There's one on Scotswood Road - deepest darkest Bandit Country - is that the one you mean??

haha that's the one, at the end of the Gay Village.

Aye, well I've just invested in it with my business partners, backing some excellent local promotors. :lol: It's got a state of the art PA system in and we've got lots of bands booked for the forseeable. If you're ever down the Gay end of town pop in :lol:.

http://www.myspace.com/theendbar

haha that's the one, at the end of the Gay Village.

Aye, well I've just invested in it with my business partners, backing some excellent local promotors. :lol: It's got a state of the art PA system in and we've got lots of bands booked for the forseeable. If you're ever down the Gay end of town pop in :lol:.

http://www.myspace.com/theendbar

I only ever drink in the "gay end of town" :)

You've got the Red Stripe Music Awards on havent you? Just been reading up on it.....

Well done and good luck - regeneration of the City of Newcastle truly is spreading outwards

Aint read too many books lately, but my little'n was very taken with sundays edition of "Fabuolus" :lol:

pic.jpg

Just finished reading John Grisham's new Book, the Appeal, fantastic read, could hardly put it down, much better than his recent hard work stories!!

There's defo a movie to be made of that in the future!

Inthe last couple of weeks i've read...

Brick Lane (Monica Ali) - Well written and researched but completely boring and an utter non-event. Achieves nothing and totally forgettable.

Hospital (TobyLitt) - What do you normally find in NHS Hospitals? Voodoo, Satan Worshipers, Gang rape, Orgies, trees growing inside little boys, Rubber fetish nurses, crack whores and smacked up psychopaths are what you find in this one. Interesting because of all this but ultimately unsatisfying and poorly finished.

Londonstani (Gautam Malkani) - Get me blud, know what i'm sayin. safe init. Middle class 3rd gen asian boys (Desis as they like to be called) in West London play at being bad boys and take a previously bookish lad in amongst their gang. Well researched and written with an unexpected ending.

Nothing to Lose (Lee Child) Jack Reacher is back and still the hardest man in the world. All Childs books follow the same kind of course but he does write them well. Bad guys beaten to a pulp, women laid, street justice prevails, Reacher walks off into the sunset. Fantastic.

Inthe last couple of weeks i've read...

Londonstani (Gautam Malkani) - Get me blud, know what i'm sayin. safe init. Middle class 3rd gen asian boys (Desis as they like to be called) in West London play at being bad boys and take a previously bookish lad in amongst their gang. Well researched and written with an unexpected ending.

Nothing to Lose (Lee Child) Jack Reacher is back and still the hardest man in the world. All Childs books follow the same kind of course but he does write them well. Bad guys beaten to a pulp, women laid, street justice prevails, Reacher walks off into the sunset. Fantastic.

These sound good..

Is this thread like a Richard and Judy Book Club type thingy.Like the latest promotions in WHS,Waterstones etc. If not I would like to put forward ......Milroy The Magician,by Paul Theroux.Circa 1993 I think,..Well worth 50p to £1 in a charity shop of your choice. Seriously, This book has had an effect on everyone I know who has read it. BTW has anyone here read this book? Not expecting replies:(

Back