Space Guardian article...

Like how Carl Cox pulls no punches there!

Ibiza has become more conservative now. At DC-10 people used to dress up as aeroplanes or as Catwoman, for no reason. Elrow is bringing that back, but it’s forced and staged. And at Richie Hawtin’s recent nights, everyone dressed in black – like, who died?

Ibiza has become more conservative now. At DC-10 people used to dress up as aeroplanes or as Catwoman, for no reason. Elrow is bringing that back, but it’s forced and staged. And at Richie Hawtin’s recent nights, everyone dressed in black – like, who died?

boring, self-conscious kids replaced the freaks - same story the world over

I've been reading Moby's fantastic autobiography Porcelain - it's packed with characters and misfits from his rave days - a lot of parallels between NYC and IBZ

In DC-10, our group seem to be one of the only ones who bring inflatables now...

Obviously we're not ready to become complete borebags just yet!!!!

It really all is becoming so staged now... Another example would be the Mambo dancers in the DJ booth...

And as for the legend that is Carl Cox... He's a man in his 50's, who moves more than a large percentage of people on the dancefloor (whether there's room to move or not)...

This is the main reason why I would never even bother looking at the line-ups of Music On. Nothing wrong with wearing black, I like wearing all black sometimes.. But wearing it just because everyone else is (unless you're a Goth) is weird. Like why would you? I don't get it.. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

You never see the freaky people you used to see at DC10 around the start of the 2000's... same goes for Space... no idea where they go now, maybe they just grew up and now sit at home watching X factor

You never see the freaky people you used to see at DC10 around the start of the 2000's... same goes for Space... no idea where they go now, maybe they just grew up and now sit at home watching X factor

there's various reasons

1. the free-spirited were made to feel uncomfortable in corporate Ibiza - even las dalias has rules

2. the internet - it means that clubs nowadays are swamped by selfie taking dicks - the mystique is dead. I think only Berghain manages to preserve its secrets these days

3. the kids are boring because they come from boring societies where they work in call centres instead of living on cushy grants where they can indulge their creative imagination

4. the change in gay culture - as it went mainstream over the last 10 years, gay people have become straighter - being camp is not seens as cool or counter-culture anymore - that means there is less outrageous behaviour

5. dance music itself went mainstream again after a lull in the early 2000s - meaning a lot of boring blokes who used to listen to the kaiser chiefs now go to ibiza instead

there's various reasons

1. the free-spirited were made to feel uncomfortable in corporate Ibiza - even las dalias has rules

2. the internet - it means that clubs nowadays are swamped by selfie taking dicks - the mystique is dead. I think only Berghain manages to preserve its secrets these days

3. the kids are boring because they come from boring societies where they work in call centres instead of living on cushy grants where they can indulge their creative imagination

4. the change in gay culture - as it went mainstream over the last 10 years, gay people have become straighter - being camp is not seens as cool or counter-culture anymore - that means there is less outrageous behaviour

5. dance music itself went mainstream again after a lull in the early 2000s - meaning a lot of boring blokes who used to listen to the kaiser chiefs now go to ibiza instead

Agree with all points.
I'd also include that the party starts so late in the day, unlike when the party started around 8 in the morning and all the twisted freaks was still out from the night before. There were some greats sights Early in the morning at dc10.:confused:o_O:)

... Elrow ... it’s forced and staged ...
even elrow is "therealthing" these days - at least in comparison to THIS =>

:eek: o_O

step back to a time of Peace, Love & Music, Nikki Beach style!
Dress code: Woodstock meets Flower Power meet Nikki Beach chic!

Back in the day the airport used to be full of "interesting" people too. You'd be sitting there waiting for your flight with all sorts of sights wandering around still smashed from the previous few days.

Did I miss the clubbing comeback? I thought it died in the late 90's/ early 00's when all the super clubs shut down.

Clubbing seemed much more expressive back then with music defining how you looked and dressed.

Now you walk into a club and you see people dressed like they are out for a meal or something.

Reactions: em
Did I miss the clubbing comeback? I thought it died in the late 90's/ early 00's when all the super clubs shut down.

Clubbing seemed much more expressive back then with music defining how you looked and dressed.

Now you walk into a club and you see people dressed like they are out for a meal or something.

2 sides to it in UK from what I see, commercial clubbing is trying to go up market and recreate Vegas. Tables, overly dressed people etc. More about being seen than the actual night out.

Underground nights are much more accessible now, more heavily advertised long in advance, tickets etc and all manner of spaces being used to put parties on. It's the underground but it's mainstream if that makes sense. Everyone seems to have gone to a 'warehouse' night somewhere. Festivals happening all year around with all the big names in House and Techno appearing.

2 sides to it in UK from what I see, commercial clubbing is trying to go up market and recreate Vegas. Tables, overly dressed people etc. More about being seen than the actual night out.

Underground nights are much more accessible now, more heavily advertised long in advance, tickets etc and all manner of spaces being used to put parties on. It's the underground but it's mainstream if that makes sense. Everyone seems to have gone to a 'warehouse' night somewhere. Festivals happening all year around with all the big names in House and Techno appearing.

the only real underground events that exist anymore are things which are word of mouth, aren't advertised on RA, are illegal/borderline legal, are set in locations/venues that are off the map (often literally) and which showcase music you didn't even know existed - but it gets harder and harder as the stock of ex-industrial spaces declines, the police wise up and neighbours become more and more nosey/yuppie. It's a constant game of cat & mouse trying to keep one step ahead. I went to a mini-festie in a forest a few summers back and everyone on FB was asked to turn GPS off, to not mention it to anyone not coming, even to let cars overtake on the main road outside, all that for me is proper underground. You're simultaneously worried about the cops AND local dickheads.

It just takes one person to spread the word and that's it. the secret's out. exclusivity is crucial.

the film The Beach got it spot on and Jane Bussman's brilliant 'Once in a lifetime' book sums it up so well:

loosely paraphrased :

"I can tell you but don't tell anyone else" - By the end of the summer, everyone knew about it. And thus modern Ibiza was born."

You never see the freaky people you used to see at DC10 around the start of the 2000's...

Used to see some characters in DC10 mid '00s at 10am sitting on the floor in the inside room, wearing wigs monging out after your eyes had adjusted to the total darkness from the sunlight and the sound of the weird music:)

Also San An early morning after Manumission was a sight to behold . That's the Ibiza I will always look back on...

Back