Space 199?, back in the day.

Pete

The 1st time we ever went to space was 01.01.2000 and it was fantastic but what was it like in the 90s

was it open 7 days a week?

What time did it open / close?

Did they do any nights there or just the daytimes?

Was it always tied to a prompter (like Manumission's - Carry on) ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1st time we ever went to space was 01.01.2000 and it was fantastic but what was it like in the 90s

was it open 7 days a week?

What time did it open / close?

Did they do any nights there or just the daytimes?

Was it always tied to a prompter (like Manumission's - Carry on) ?

I went for the first time in 1999, I remember being amazed that it was open 22 hours, we managed to get there about 4pm on the Sunday and there was only 2 rooms, indoors which was so dark and played techno and then the terrace outside which was amazing house. I am not a fan of Space at all anymore tbh. That is all I remember :)

first went there in 93/94 it used to open at 6 or 8am.Used to get busy around 10am. The terrace was so good back then,inside was very dark and not that busy most times.Around 4pm people would start leaving and go to bora bora or sa trinxa for rest of the day.Tuesdays were great at bora and sa trinxa cos everyone was at manumission on monday night,carry on manumission in space tuesday morning and then to beach for tuesday afternoon/evening..crazy times..:D

Manumission Carry on from 10.00am Tuesday morning after a T Shirt change on the way from Manumission. Very messy, saw all sorts!!! :eek::eek::eek:

i first went to space in 91 i have some photos , shall i put them on?
it a lot differnt now though eh?? expensive

photos yes please :)

craig... "go to bora bora or sa trinxa for rest of the day" - wasn't it tahiti beach next door, run by the zenith boys? kanya in san an used to be popular for sunday evenings too.

space had loads of bamboo chairs with cushions on them for lounging as well as the dj behind the bar - talk about informal ;)

we had friends who would sometimes rock up with a plate of fresh croissants for the door staff at 8am - which guaranteed them free entry for life lol. i remember the red-haired girl on the door as well - get on her good side and you were in, otherwise watch out!

so many good memories!

Nothing useful to add really - never took any pics at the time.

Space was great before they gave the main terrace a massive refurb and fancy new sound system.

I liked the way the speakers were just 'plonked' - and it sounded way better then anyway because it was louder.

Remember when they upgraded the thing in 2003 and were subsequently forced to turn the volume right down? Ridiculous.

They first went 24 hour in '99 with 'Home' - this, for me was Space's coming of age moment and I'm pretty sure I'll never experience anything like that again in my lifetime.

It would be nice to be surprised though. :eek:

you could be right about tahiti beach and the photos i have are from around by the jocky club not sa trinxa.mike and claire used to come down with there dogs most tuesdays.i was friendly with claires sister lois she gave me a pass for manumission that said"Im so beautiful i don`t have to pay"and it got me into some great partys all summer.it was the year they done the world series.Pick a different city for each monday and had dj`s from said cites and what those places were famous for.i still have all the little flyers of the series.Amsterdam nigth/day stil was one of my best times there..:D

My first double at Space was a Sunday after a Saturday night at Pacha. Sunday with pass out hotel for a bit stayed in Space about 18 hours was a mess Monday. but loved it.

1990. It was my favourite club. It used to open in the morning (I can't remember what time) so we used to go there after Amnesia. Some nights I would not go to a club and would just go to bed and then get up early to go straight to Space.
It was very dark in there but it was the Space fashion to wear small sunglasses and bump into inanimate objects and each other. The terrace was very quiet and just somewhere to get a bit of air.
Back in the club, the crowd were very underground and very gay. It seemed to be mostly Italians and Spanish. No Brit tourists. The only Brits in there seemed to be the crowd of a dozen or so people I went there with every week. I remember about 6 or so long haired northerners in baggy clothes turning up and they just stood by the door for ages as if they were too scared to venture any further. :lol:
The DJs were weird Spanish guys. Some of them looked like a cross between goths and punks. I dont remember anybody famous playing there. The music was the best New Beat and Techno on the island that you didnt hear elsewhere. I wish I had copies of the Space mix tapes they used to sell.

I wish I had copies of the Space mix tapes they used to sell.
- i'm sure i have a couple somewhere, must try to dig them out - from 94/95 though, not earlier.

stood by the door for ages as if they were too scared to venture any further
lol - just about sums up my first visits there ha ha

yeah i have a tape from 94 its a bad recording only comes out of one speaker. i have a great photo somewhere buying a live cafe del mar mix from jose when he used to sell them from behind the decks at the cafe a year or so before all the cd`s started comin out.Im lookin at old flyers now of back then that i just got from my folks house and so many good nights back then.Bombay pussy nights,up your ronson@privilege with m people live& sasha jeremy healy and my favourite nights at pacha the moondance one.the classic night with harvey,laurent garnier and a man called adam(live)..:D

Not the same as live tapes but I've got the old Space comp Alfredo did, the 3 cd one from around 95/96? Can have a go at uploading it if anyone wants it, just index the 3 CD's as one track each.

Not the same as live tapes but I've got the old Space comp Alfredo did, the 3 cd one from around 95/96? Can have a go at uploading it if anyone wants it, just index the 3 CD's as one track each.

I have this too and love it. I listen to it every few months if im feeling a bit blue and it gets me right back in the party mood!

It's pretty good, I can't stand that circus bells tune though seems to go on for about 20 minutes and boring as hell! First cd is class though, any mix with theme from outrage in will always get my vote.

I know what you mean mate its on cd3 if i remember correctly which imo is the poorest for the set.

Buying that cd as an impressionable 15 pr 16 year old started my love of Ibiza in the first place so it will always have a big place in my heart

Last edited by a moderator:
Back