Sonar 2011

makka

Wassup folks, long time since I've posted up in here! - good to see some familiar faces are still knocking about!

So 2011 is the year me & a few buddies are finally going to experience Sonar, flight into Barca is all booked but were holding on the return for now as a ferry to Ibiza for a few days is inevitable! ;) ... That will be the 1st time in a few years too!

Few questions if i may:

Is the 3 day ticket a must?! I keep hearing the parties which surround Sonar often blow the actual festival line up away (each to their own opinion of course)

Also some ideas on accommodation would be perfect, having never been to Barca, my geography on the place is that of a rookie, any recommendations of a nice budget place close to the action?

Kudos for any advice, might even high5 a few of you there! 8)

Sonar night is taking place out of town; taxi or shuttle is needed.
I wouldn't bother with the 3 day pass, the parties around Barca are really good, plus hotel roof parties, beach parties.
I would settle for a dj or an act I really don't want to miss instead of the whole ferstival.
Plus it's pricey.
Book your tickets through internet. The queue gets quite long sometimes.

We always rent a flat, lot of choice around placa catalunya or espana or Barcelonetta.
Just type barcelona appartement, plenty of offers.

There is anti sonar festival. Not sure it is still happening.http://www.behance.net/Gallery/Anti-Sonar-Rave-Party/90203

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola!

Went to Barcelona for Sonar in 2009 and had a blast. It wasn't quite how I excpected.

We only bought nighttime tickets for both days but wish we'd bought the daytime tickets too. The night time event is basically a massive rave, it wasn't at all how I expected. It's held in a HUGE aircraft hanger with two massive rooms (I'm talking probably 5000 per room) - one inside and one outside, and in the middle there is a fairground area which also has a dj playing music.
I preferred the outside arena, it normally gets packed but if you squeeze round the side there are some steps you can stand on which are near the front and give some amazing views of the crowd.
The insdie arena is just massive and i personally found it a bit dark and vacant. It's so big even with thousands of people in there it never seemed busy. We saw Hawtin in there but he was soooo far away we kind of didnt get any atmosphere or anything. The outside bit is great though :)

Sonar by Day is held near the Raval area (I think) right in the middle of town. It's a bit more arty and has some live acts, dance performances, bands yada yada yada you get the jist. We didn't think we'd enjoy the day bit as much, but when you are sitting in the bars outside the arena and can hear the music pumping and the crowds whooping it makes you very jealous!! We tried blagging our way in but it was impossible, there is a 15 foot fence all around it and guards on every door.

A couple of my friends went to some of the "anti" Sonar parties. Heard mixed reviews to be honest, one of them was apparantly miles out of town, the taxi's drop you off there then charge extortionate prices to get back. Plus he said it was REALLY dodgy, loads of scary looking dudes with pitbulls and stuff all standing around lol! There was some official non-Sonar parties with people like Sven Vath / Hawtin / Villalobos playing at, but they were on the same nights as Sonar so we didnt make it to them.

One other recommendation I would DEFINITELY say do, is head to La Terrazza on the Sunday night (Sonar is on Fri and Sat). We caught Secret Sundaze there and had an absolute blast. Great way to finish the weekend.

We stayed at hotel AB Viladomat http://www.hotelabviladomat.com/ and I would really recommend it. It's about 25mins walk from the beach (but we dont mind walking, especially after a night out!), clean rooms with aircon, breakfast each morning, and it was MUCH cheaper than any of the hotels which are more in the centre of town. We rocked up every morning about 9am and the staff didnt bat an eyelid. Perfect hotel for a clubbing weekend.

Anyway hope that helps, Sonar was one of my best every clubbing memories. If I dont manage to get Glasto tickets in the resale I'll see you there ;)

Hey Makka,

I went to Barcelona when Sonar was on a couple of year ago. Didn't actually go to the main event. Found the off-sonar parties a bit hit and miss, but loved the randomness of it all. S****y hotel rooftop pool parties, raving in strip clubs, getting turbo drunk in a vacant shopping centre unit to Moon Harbour artists with views over Barcelona, Ame and Dixon at La Terraza in the open air, loads of seafood everywhere, men with dogs on string on the beach sending me and another member of this board on a mission through La Barri Gotic. Not to mention the Placa Real (just off las ramblas) once the tin men come out. Mental couple of nights in a beautiful city. Can't wait to go back. Think I'm gonna do a similar trip for my 30th later this year, except to take in a Barcelona game, followed by a few days at some closing parties in Ibiza.

PS. Isn't anti sonar a total crusty fest? Heard it was a well ropey affair?

One other recommendation I would DEFINITELY say do, is head to La Terrazza on the Sunday night (Sonar is on Fri and Sat). We caught Secret Sundaze there and had an absolute blast. Great way to finish the weekend.

agreed, wicked venue - however the outdoor limiters when dixon was playing that night meant the sound was awfully quiet at times - I felt it was more like the outdoor bit at Space

I personally don't think there's any really great clubbing to be found in Barcelona, what it does have is infinite bar/club options, although I think it is better for street parties than indoor events. My fave times to visit BCN are August for the gracia festival and September for the merce

sonar itself is what attracts the hype - but as much fun is to be found at the unofficial parties

as for accomodation - to the OP - raval/barrio gotico/or stay in the gracia area

by the way makka, first time i'd actually seen ame (and dixon for that matter) since you posted that ame @ flex mix on that other nameless board 4 or so years ago

by the way makka, first time i'd actually seen ame (and dixon for that matter) since you posted that ame @ flex mix on that other nameless board 4 or so years ago

:lol:

was it makka who posted that?

and more to the point do either of you still have it?

that mix was acers

will revisit it later

cheers, Felipe

@ makka - my main advice for first timers is don't cane it too hard - it's an amazing city, so much to see, balance out the rave with civilian activities

Ahh good on ya all - some great advice & tips from some old skool familiar names. hope your all going good! live strong! :D

La Terrazza sounds soo good right now, will def hit this place up while in town & will look into that hotel you recommend too, 25+ mins walk will do us all the world of good! thanks Beckiboo :)

The actual festival line up so far doesn't meet a lot of our groups musical tastes, we await the full line up to be released, but it's very reassuring to hear heaps of parties surrounding the festival are poppin!

Actually heading out to Barca a few days b4 the festival drops & def plan to explore the delights it has to offer!

Phil good man, that set is broke boundaries for me! gooood memories right there!

While were on the Ame vibe, this is def worth gracing your ears: http://hotfile.com/dl/95739073/7e2c4df/FACT_mix_212_-_me_(Jan_11).mp3.html ... Very special mix indeed!!

Any other venues I should be looking out for which are renown for hosting good vibes? - It's my buddies b/day on the 15th & wanna make it pretty special for him!

Hopefully some real time high5's will happen this year!

Much love! :D

booked 15-22 June - ryanair [not exactly cheap £72 + coaches/trains etc]

if there's anything left in the kitty, maybe a second spanish expedition in aug/sep

Just heard nicolas jaar is playing at the body&soul festival in ireland,he is flying over after his sonar gig.He should be worth going to at sonar this year...defo getting body&soul tickets now..

Hey Makka,

I went to Barcelona when Sonar was on a couple of year ago. Didn't actually go to the main event. Found the off-sonar parties a bit hit and miss, but loved the randomness of it all. S****y hotel rooftop pool parties, raving in strip clubs, getting turbo drunk in a vacant shopping centre unit to Moon Harbour artists with views over Barcelona, Ame and Dixon at La Terraza in the open air, loads of seafood everywhere, men with dogs on string on the beach sending me and another member of this board on a mission through La Barri Gotic. Not to mention the Placa Real (just off las ramblas) once the tin men come out. Mental couple of nights in a beautiful city. Can't wait to go back. Think I'm gonna do a similar trip for my 30th later this year, except to take in a Barcelona game, followed by a few days at some closing parties in Ibiza.

PS. Isn't anti sonar a total crusty fest? Heard it was a well ropey affair?

haha, that first night in Barca will never be forgotten. Class!!

Back