So how is Xmas celebrated in Ibiza (or Spain)?

Johnny Vodka

Just had an argument with my old man who says the Spanish don't really celebrate Xmas. He supposedly knows this because he's spent a lot of time in Tenerife recently. :rolleyes: I called BS, as I know from here they have Xmas markets in Ibiza. (He said the Xmas markets are for tourists. I had to inform him there are hardly any tourists on Ibiza between October and May.) I also realise that different European countries all have different Xmas traditions, and although they might open presents on different days, eat different food, they still celebrate Xmas.

Anyway, I think I may have powned him when he phoned a Spanish 'friend' (okay, his bird in Tenerife :lol:) and she told him they're main celebration is on Jan 6th - the last day of Xmas in our calendar. That still counts as Xmas to me. :D

So tell me more about Xmas in Ibiza/Spain and how it differs from here. :)

Just had an argument with my old man who says the Spanish don't really celebrate Xmas. He supposedly knows this because he's spent a lot of time in Tenerife recently. :rolleyes: I called BS, as I know from here they have Xmas markets in Ibiza. (He said the Xmas markets are for tourists. I had to inform him there are hardly any tourists on Ibiza between October and May.) I also realise that different European countries all have different Xmas traditions, and although they might open presents on different days, eat different food, they still celebrate Xmas.

Anyway, I think I may have powned him when he phoned a Spanish 'friend' (okay, his bird in Tenerife :lol:) and she told him they're main celebration is on Jan 6th - the last day of Xmas in our calendar. That still counts as Xmas to me. :D

So tell me more about Xmas in Ibiza/Spain and how it differs from here. :)

got round to responding eventually..

A few people eat chicken instead. april fool's day is on the 28th. some people give presents on Jan 6th instead for Three Kings Day. the shopping malls are garish glimpses of the apocalypse (nothing different there). The people I know go out and get stuck in but it isn't a massive canefest in my experience, compared to London :lol:

no way of spinning it... ultimately, just a very shit time of year for those with family they dislike or those with no family at all.

this is a more recent tradition, the PapaNoelada motorcycle rally which takes place in many Spanish cities (Baleares too?)

Back