SMS signal interferrance

I-Spy

If I'm listening to music at home or in the car and a sms is going to a phone I tend to get noise coming through the sound system. It seems to be happening every 2 minutes now as there must be so many signals flying around.
How can you stop it ?
Why do you never get it happening in clubs where there must be hundreds of mobile signals going around?

Also, I wish these fcuking mosquitos would stop biting my feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm listening to music at home or in the car and a sms is going to a phone I tend to get noise coming through the sound system. It seems to be happening every 2 minutes now as there must be so many signals flying around.
How can you stop it ?
Why do you never get it happening in clubs where there must be hundreds of mobile signals going around?

Also, I wish these fcuking mosquitos would stop biting my feet.

There are a number of reasons why it is doing this but to explain in as few words as possible....

There are two different types of networks in Europe - 2G and 3G (there is also 3.5g or HSDPA but forget about that.

Basically a 2g phone 'connects' to the network during a call or sms and drops off then reconnects all the time. It is this connection / disconnection that gives the 'ba ba badabaaa...' interference.

A 3G handset will not cause this interference (assuming it is sitting connected to a 3G network and hasn't dropped down to a 2G network) because it wil sit on the 3G network without dropping off and reconnecting during each event.

Sony Ericsson handsets seem to transmit this interference slightly more than others (at least they did when I worked for one of the UK networks.)

So basically if you don't have 3G coverage where you live, it will always happen to some extent, although Sony Ericsson phones will be worse than others..

There are a number of reasons why it is doing this but to explain in as few words as possible....

There are two different types of networks in Europe - 2G and 3G (there is also 3.5g or HSDPA but forget about that.

Basically a 2g phone 'connects' to the network during a call or sms and drops off then reconnects all the time. It is this connection / disconnection that gives the 'ba ba badabaaa...' interference.

A 3G handset will not cause this interference (assuming it is sitting connected to a 3G network and hasn't dropped down to a 2G network) because it wil sit on the 3G network without dropping off and reconnecting during each event.

Sony Ericsson handsets seem to transmit this interference slightly more than others (at least they did when I worked for one of the UK networks.)

So basically if you don't have 3G coverage where you live, it will always happen to some extent, although Sony Ericsson phones will be worse than others..

:eek: Oh...right . Thanks

I'll add one bit of trivia to Jam's explanation.

It's a phenomenon specific to phones working on the GSM standard.

My early cell phones on the AMPS standard never gave off this kind of radio intereference.

Also, it's not just when you get SMSes on a GSM phone. Incoming phone calls will also give off noise through some speakers up until the point you answer them.

Oh now I get it.
It's my 2G, 3G, 3.5G, HSDPA, GSM, AMPS that are causing the problem.
Am I being a bit wedding dad here.... Why is it the first time I've ever heard about all these initials?
I have a Spanish Blackberry and a Uk Nokia.
But when the noises are happening none of those are ringing anyway, maybe it's going to someone else's phone nearbye.
It's happening every two minutes or so. They must be popular, probably the local dealer.
So why doesn't happen in clubs, again?

Oh now I get it.
It's my 2G, 3G, 3.5G, HSDPA, GSM, AMPS that are causing the problem.
Am I being a bit wedding dad here.... Why is it the first time I've ever heard about all these initials?
I have a Spanish Blackberry and a Uk Nokia.
But when the noises are happening none of those are ringing anyway, maybe it's going to someone else's phone nearbye.
It's happening every two minutes or so. They must be popular, probably the local dealer.
So why doesn't happen in clubs, again?
GSM and 2G are the same thing, a standard digital network. The reason it doesn't happen in clubs is really three reasons. Firstly the club will use a premium sound system with shielding against many types of interference, secondly your phone needs to be really close to the speaker to get this interference and finally because the clubs use so many speakers this actually dilutes any possible interference from one phone next to one speaker. Sorry for the long replies but, you asked! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply Mr Jam, I was only joking and didn't mean to sound ungrateful.
At least I know why it's happening......wish I could find a way to stop it.
I am buying all new equipment now so hopefully it's better quality and won't be affected so much.

Thanks for your reply Mr Jam, I was only joking and didn't mean to sound ungrateful.
At least I know why it's happening......wish I could find a way to stop it.
I am buying all new equipment now so hopefully it's better quality and won't be affected so much.

hey no worries, I was typing that on my phone in an airport earlier :lol:

Most newer audio equipment & TV's have shielding in anyway so you should be fine ;)

Back