Season Done!

psycholisa

A quick recap of our first (well my second!) (grown up!!! lol) season here in Es Cana, Ibiza....

We arrived here at the end of March (before the summer workers rush!) on the ferry from Denia, having spent the last 10 years living in Benidorm! All our worldly goods packed into a mate's jeep and our people carrier...!!

Husband had already "guaranteed" a job as DJ/Host/Compere/Bingo Caller/Karaoke DJ/Dogsbody at Popeyes Bar so it was just a case of meeting up with Toni the boss and getting his contract signed!!! We hadn't found an apartment yet but had some lined up to view, so were staying at a friends apartment in his spare room... We managed to get all our paperwork sorted in the first week (hoorah!), but it entailed a lot of round trips to the Police Station, the Education office (for sorting a school) in Ibiza and Padron offices in Sta Eulalia...

Little one was granted a place in San Carlos school starting after the Easter Hols, and we found our apartment and could move in after the Easter Hols! Husband did some building/plastering etc work on a friend of a friend's house to "pass the time" and get a bit of cash so we could live!!

Once the season started and husband was working at Popeyes (and little one was at school) it was all nice n quiet (or thereabouts)... husband also managed to get a few hours handymanning for our landlord at his pub/apartments in town too....

I finally got round to re-starting my singing career here in Es Cana, did the end of the season at Mar Y Huerta, Popeyes and Anfora Hotel as the Rock Chick show (Guns n Roses, Bon Jovi, Queen, Journey etc!)... seems to have gone down well and have secured shows for next season!!! Yay! :D

Now the season has ended, Husband is still working for our landlord doing renovations etc on his pub/apartments, I'm learning more songs and planning my shows out and little one is doing really well at school (he loves it better than his old school) (and he speaks English, Spanish and Catalan now which IMO is good going for a 4 year old!).... :eek:

It's VERY quiet here in Es Cana now, with only a handful of bars open day or night (3 x Spanish bars, 2 x English bars all week, and the Red Lion for karaoke & Moes open weekends). The only shops open here in resort are the 3 supermarkets, Maria's, Marin's and Al Prop!!... The clothes shops in Ibiza town are still open and Sta Eulalia is more or less open (but obviously not the tourist shops!)... It's very quiet here but once the Sunday locals BBQs restart at Tipic bar on the beach it'll liven up a bit no doubt!! :D

The last 7 months seem to have gone really quick, so hopefully it won't be long before it all gears up again and we get back into it..... Bring on the rock shows I say!! lol 8)

Good read and glad it is working out for you. Do you have any advice in terms of jobs for next season? I am mid thirties so not looking for the usual club related jobs but possibly bar work, cafe work or anything for someone more mature in areas like Eularia or Es Cana?

Cheers, best I can offer is get here just before the season starts to try to "cherry pick" the jobs and go round all the bars/cafes etc asking them if they need anyone for the season (or to get their bar/cafe ready for the season.... ie if you help them get ready, they may give you a job for helping them out?). Here in Es Cana most places opened 1st May (or thereabouts) so maybe get here mid to end April?

Cheers, best I can offer is get here just before the season starts to try to "cherry pick" the jobs and go round all the bars/cafes etc asking them if they need anyone for the season (or to get their bar/cafe ready for the season.... ie if you help them get ready, they may give you a job for helping them out?). Here in Es Cana most places opened 1st May (or thereabouts) so maybe get here mid to end April?

Ta for advice. Yes, my plan is to finish my current job at the start of April to get to Ibiza for mid April to try and get a job ahead of the crowds. My concern is about getting a job without an NIE.

Great to hear you story, hope it continues going well for you. Will have to make sure we head up to Es Cana to catch one of your shows, you could keep us informed on here where you are appearing:D

Will do!! So far confirmed for next season are Popeyes, Mar Y Huerta and Anfora hotel!!! Yay... just look out for someone with huuuuge platform boots singing Guns n Roses and you've found me!! ;)

Will do!! So far confirmed for next season are Popeyes, Mar Y Huerta and Anfora hotel!!! Yay... just look out for someone with huuuuge platform boots singing Guns n Roses and you've found me!! ;)

:lol: On first reading I thought you had secured a gig at Anfora (sp) in the old town.

Isn't it amazing with the children? Our boy is 7, we were slightly concerned he might just be a year older than ideal for settling into school. Like your little one, he loves it better than his old village school in blighty.

Good luck with the singing career, sounds like a lot of fun and hard work at the same time :)

Would any of you have advice in terms of jobs for the season? I will be in Ibiza from mid-April-Nov next year so am available for the entire season to work. I am mid thirties so would prefer an area like Eularia or Figuretas rather than the big superclub scene. Ideally I would like cafe or bar work, any ideas at all?

Many thanks

Would any of you have advice in terms of jobs for the season? I will be in Ibiza from mid-April-Nov next year so am available for the entire season to work. I am mid thirties so would prefer an area like Eularia or Figuretas rather than the big superclub scene. Ideally I would like cafe or bar work, any ideas at all?

Many thanks

I can't help much, Wilko tbh. When speaking to the folks working in cafes & bars in S.E., the majority seem to return to the same job year after year. I'm sure there is still jobs to be had by hard working people who manage to be in the right place at the right time. It's quiet atm, most of the tourist bars / cafes are closed so hard to make any enquiries direct. I will ask my buddy who seems to have his finger and nose in many pies for any leads. We are out for a few beers at the weekend, will let you know after then.

I can't help much, Wilko tbh. When speaking to the folks working in cafes & bars in S.E., the majority seem to return to the same job year after year. I'm sure there is still jobs to be had by hard working people who manage to be in the right place at the right time. It's quiet atm, most of the tourist bars / cafes are closed so hard to make any enquiries direct. I will ask my buddy who seems to have his finger and nose in many pies for any leads. We are out for a few beers at the weekend, will let you know after then.

Thank you, that is really good of you. I am moving out to Ibiza on a permanent basis so I am very reliable and not the sort to fly home after two weeks or turn up with a hangover every day! I would really appreciate any help, I am ready to start work on 1st May too for the entire season and beyond if needed! :)

Is there any particular area you're interested in moving to, or are you not really bothered? Cos once things start to open up (or start cleaning ready to open!) I can ask around for you here in Es Cana if you like? :)

Is there any particular area you're interested in moving to, or are you not really bothered? Cos once things start to open up (or start cleaning ready to open!) I can ask around for you here in Es Cana if you like? :)

That would be great. I really do not mind where to be honest, as I say I am 35 so do not mind if it is Es Cana or St Eulalia rather than the San An/Bossa areas. I am hoping that by going out early in the season I will be able to get a position before the masses come over in May time x

Have you had any gigs yet, lisa?

Marriners opened yesterday, whilst enjoying a beer in the sunshine a tribute band arrived and started getting ready to perform, we never got to see them but one of the girls had the longest legs in Ibiza:p Couldn't help wondering if it was in fact psycholisa?

Good luck for the summer, would be good to see you on stage at some point.

Hiya, no it wasn't me...the thingy at Mariners the other day was a showcase for Ultima Entertainment (the girls you would've seen were the Abba tribute!)... I'm not with an agent (no mister 10 percent for me!! lol)....

I'll be working at Anfora Hotel every other Thursday from 16th May, Popeyes, Mar Y Huerta and Nags Head (all in Es Cana, cos we've got no car now!).... My main show is a Rock Show, with a possible "bit of everything" show for smaller venues and a Country show in the high season at Anfora Hotel.... (once the other days have been "firmed up" I'll let you know!)

My legs are usually covered with fishnet tights if I've got my shorts on for the Rock Show! 8)

So Anfora Hotel is definitely every other Thursday from the 16th May doing a 2 hour show 10-12pm, Nags Head is the alternate Thursdays doing a 1 hour show 9-10pm......

Popeyes re-opens this coming Tuesday and I'm doing a short spot on the opening night (still not sure what day my "proper" show is yet!).....

Mar Y Huerta starts their entertainment possibly this Monday with a 1 hour show from me and karaoke after... Then it's Mondays and Fridays for karaoke in there with Billy Scott (and my show probably for an hour every Friday!)

Back