Resident Advisor Top 100 DJ's

Certainly seems more credible than DJ Mags results.

Still not seen Dixon live.

Bit annoyed my favourite Voorn isn't in there though!

dont think can argue about dixon winning it...fantastic year for him.
i saw him djign a few times, all great sets.

maceo plex, tale of us shouldnt be in that top 10 for djing.

have people still not woken up to how f***ing boring and shit maya jane coles is?

no todd terje in the top 100???
mental.

I went clubbing in the UK for the first time in maybe four years on Friday to see Dixon and he was fantastic.

Agree with you about Maya Jane Coles & Todd Terje as well.

However, people trying to say a certain DJ is better at playing one record after another than another DJ is crazy. It's unquantifiable & there is no right or wrong answer. Great for a bit of banter but can't believe people get worked up about it!

Last edited:
Dixon was great when I saw him. Not sure I'd say he was the best, but definitely a top contender.

I just think it's a great that somebody without an official twitter count won the comp - goes to prove that this poll in particular isn't decided by campaigning... yet. Some people knock it, but it's by far the most credible of these polls around.

I guess it depends on your perspective though. I'm sure all the trance fans amongst us will find the positions as baffling as the DJ Mag poll.

Agree with MJC. Saw her a few times last year and I just didn't get the hype.

He played in my local with mano le tough a few weeks ago.thats a picture of my friend with Dixon.Their old friends.

Amusing seeing people jump on dixon bandwagon because 'deep house' is now supposedly cool with kids who were listening to Radio 1 or whatever 12 months ago. Those same people will then get bored and move on to the next big thing i dunno let's call it bassline methcore at some point next summer. Proof that these polls are just utter nonsense. Meanwhile, the real fans who have invested their lives into this music for X years don't give a stuff about hype contests. FWIW the best DJs in the world, people like Intergalactic Gary, IF, Jerome Hill, Todd Terje, the Thunder crew, Claussell, harri & dom, harvey, rub n tug, weatherall for starters stand out for me because they select the best records and because the punters are king not them. Trying to rank people with such diverse tastes in some kind of hierarchy is just dumb. If weatherall and terje play exactly the same records at the same festival on the same system, how the hell are you supposed to prefer one over the other when the same records have the same emotional impact on you. What's happened is that too many people confuse producer and DJ now, and it is the producer any debate should really focus on

Amusing seeing people jump on dixon bandwagon because 'deep house' is now supposedly cool with kids who were listening to Radio 1 or whatever 12 months ago. Those same people will then get bored and move on to the next big thing i dunno let's call it bassline methcore at some point next summer. Proof that these polls are just utter nonsense. Meanwhile, the real fans who have invested their lives into this music for X years don't give a stuff about hype contests. FWIW the best DJs in the world, people like Intergalactic Gary, IF, Jerome Hill, Todd Terje, the Thunder crew, Claussell, harri & dom, harvey, rub n tug, weatherall for starters stand out for me because they select the best records and because the punters are king not them. Trying to rank people with such diverse tastes in some kind of hierarchy is just dumb. If weatherall and terje play exactly the same records at the same festival on the same system, how the hell are you supposed to prefer one over the other when the same records have the same emotional impact on you. What's happened is that too many people confuse producer and DJ now, and it is the producer any debate should really focus on
i dont think people are jumping on the dixon bandwagon (as you put it) because of deep house, thats not giving the guy his due.,he's a fantastic dj, and behind a record label which has been really strong the last couple years...its probably more the fact he's the dj that is most accessible to those that go to club nights in europe & listed on peoples RA calendars (which was the criteria to vote on the RA Poll)

your not going to get much argument from me about the merits / strengths of weatherall, tood terje and the other djs you've listed though (when i voted my top 5 were : dixon, weatherall, troxler, terje & prins thomas (from nights /festivals gigs i seen them at this year).....tough decision regarding dxon or weatherall for me...but dixon was fantastic in sub club this year, slightly better night than weatherall in sub club (imho)

would've voted for weatherall & johnston as a combined number 1 (ALFOS) if i could've though :) (prefer the alfos sets from weatherall now)

I think there is some bandwagon-jumping. I remember Dixon playing intimate gigs at plastic people in 2005 when he was at sonar kollectiv when bleepy minimal was still all the rage and nobody in ibiza cared about house anymore and now suddenly it's like they've made this big discovery. Don't get me wrong he obv fully deserves his success, i just think these polls are dictated by current hype and not the artist's contribution over their career

I don't think there is such a thing as 'best DJ' or 'top DJ', surely the best DJ is a personal preference?

Back