Recession?

EL CANO

I'm in the used car business. Trade has been slowing since August but it has been really dreadful for the last 4 weeks . Doesn't look like things will improve any time soon.

Anyone else in the retail trade feel we are in a recession:(

I'm in the used car business.

thetrotters1.jpg

dont work in retail myself but hopefull this lightens yer mood

Hmmm...only from what I knowm - I can confirm that the construction sector is enjoying relative boom time. Fuelled mainly by olympic related work, schools programmes & the fact that we have a number of world class contractors & architects (Laing O'rourke, Norman Foster et al) who are involved in international projects, such as Beijing Olympics & the utter madness that is Dubai.

Although, for obvious reasons, domestic house building is bound to take a pounding over the next couple of years - after the last UK recession most large contractors sought out as much international work as possible to hedge against it.

I think there is a formal term for recession anyhow - somfink like 2 consecutive months of negative of stagnant growth. So no, we are not. People maybe tightening their belts as interest rates go up (probably a good thing, we are going to end up as a nation with our lives on tick if not carefull!)

There's an article on the 'credit crunch' in every paper you pick up at the mo. Post the sub-prime hoo-ha people are no longer being leant as much money they can't afford. Spending is therefore going to reduce.

There's an article on the 'credit crunch' in every paper you pick up at the mo. Post the sub-prime hoo-ha people are no longer being leant as much money they can't afford. Spending is therefore going to reduce.

and moreover, the fear factor/press coverage will certainly impact on people's spending habits.

and moreover, the fear factor/press coverage will certainly impact on people's spending habits.

Quite, but the good news is that as our undercover pal says, construction proffesionals like yours truly can't move for work offers!

So everything's ok really!8)

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite, but the good news is that as our undercover pal says, construction proffesionals like yours truly can't move for work offers!

:lol:
Given avid spotlighters are aware of the merc in the Buckley drive way, we assumed that is a healthy daily rate.

BTW, I read on your profile somewhere that you were involved in a Civils firm in Manc. Name please?

:lol:
Given avid spotlighters are aware of the merc in the Buckley drive way, we assumed that is a healthy daily rate.

BTW, I read on your profile somewhere that you were involved in a Civils firm in Manc. Name please?

Merc suffered a tragic end on Streatham High Rd back in September. Audi A4 Cabriolet is the Buckmobile now.

Civils in Manc? Nah, I do some stuff for McAlpine and their HO is in Trafford Park and I used to visit Skanska's Leeds office a lot when I subbed off them a few years ago, but I've got nothing specifically in Manc.

you're obviously snowed under judging by your post count

I'm in the used car business. Trade has been slowing since August but it has been really dreadful for the last 4 weeks . Doesn't look like things will improve any time soon.

Anyone else in the retail trade feel we are in a recession:(

ok then - I have up to 2k for a little run around - want a diesel tho - what you got on offer. Needs to have a decent size engine for running up and down the M6 to Liverpool every fortnight..... :?::?::?:

ok then - I have up to 2k for a little run around - want a diesel tho - what you got on offer. Needs to have a decent size engine for running up and down the M6 to Liverpool every fortnight..... :?::?::?:

Look at the date Pups, not sure he's been back since

Back