Radio 1 Essential Mix from Ibiza - SH1TE!

tristanbaldock

So i just got in and started listening to the essential mix from Space, expecting some peak time house/techno tunes mixed by a DJ. Instead i got Magnetic Man (who?) playing cr@ppy pop dubstep and 'urban' tune after tune. There was no mixing to be heard in this supposed 'mix' show, the crowd sounded half interested at best, there was no flow to the performance at all, what's going on??! Where have the DJ's such as Carl Cox, Sven Vaeth, even Tong gone? What's happened to a show which used to be dedicated to decent underground music? Why do we have to listen to a fragmented stop/start set rather than a quality DJ building the music up and up and whipping the crowd into a frenzy? What the hell happened? :(

So i just got in and started listening to the essential mix from Space, expecting some peak time house/techno tunes mixed by a DJ. Instead i got Magnetic Man (who?) playing cr@ppy pop dubstep and 'urban' tune after tune. There was no mixing to be heard in this supposed 'mix' show, the crowd sounded half interested at best, there was no flow to the performance at all, what's going on??! Where have the DJ's such as Carl Cox, Sven Vaeth, even Tong gone? What's happened to a show which used to be dedicated to decent underground music? Why do we have to listen to a fragmented stop/start set rather than a quality DJ building the music up and up and whipping the crowd into a frenzy? What the hell happened? :(

Sign of the times, tristanbaldock .. you will soon be joining those of us who scurry through line-ups and listings with a cynical fine tooth-comb before venturing out into the changing world of the events and airwaves, sinking deeper and deeper into the underworld lest we stumble into yet another :eek: musical scenario and wind up on a rant ...

Sign of the times, tristanbaldock .. you will soon be joining those of us who scurry through line-ups and listings with a cynical fine tooth-comb before venturing out into the changing world of the events and airwaves, sinking deeper and deeper into the underworld lest we stumble into yet another :eek: musical scenario and wind up on a rant ...

Lovely bit of writing! Well done.

Urban 1, urban 1 do you read me,OVER???????sorry pete there`s no one there:D:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
The essential mix started at 11 and went through until 5am, so they are obviously going to have a wide variety of music being played and all genres were covered throughout the mix.

Just because you happen to catch a part of it doesn't mean it was ****e.

As always you can't cater for everyones music tastes 24/7, so if you can't appreciate a different style of music to the genres you listen to, turn it of as opposed to going on about how crap it is and boring everyone with the same old.

The essential mix started at 11 and went through until 5am, so they are obviously going to have a wide variety of music being played and all genres were covered throughout the mix.

Just because you happen to catch a part of it doesn't mean it was ****e.

As always you can't cater for everyones music tastes 24/7, so if you can't appreciate a different style of music to the genres you listen to, turn it of as opposed to going on about how crap it is and boring everyone with the same old.

I'm sorry Magnetic Man, I didn't mean to upset you!

I have no problem appreciating different styles of music, and have danced to, and enjoyed, pretty much every genre under the sun over the years, but in my opinion 3am at Space is not the time for what I heard last night.

I guess the point i was trying to make was that i felt The Essential Mix had been somewhat 'hijacked' by a completely different musical ethos to that which it started with. Instead of quality underground dance music which was mixed, last night i listened to a stop/start stop/start performance which would have been better suited to Radio 1's One Big Weekend, or an Ibiza Rocks concert.

I turned off when Magnetic Man announced that the next song was 'The New Single.' Utter sh!te :confused:

it was bob... I heard some of it... and tuned out...

If I have been on the island I would no way in hell have gone to the Radio 1 event.

However... each to their own. :lol:

Couldnt agree more! Deadmau5 was the best thing to come from it, Seriously, Dubstep from radio1 in ibiza on the essential mix?!! its just wrong!

Luv is in the air .... no, she is really good this yr and even better live ;). Can't believe u were too lazy to go see her at MOS a while back minimarc..

yeah i know. slapped wrist. but got me sw4 ticket at least , could have easilly passed me by. its crazy she's only like 24. she sounds about 15 when she's talking to tong haha

still in the doghouse with mates for turning down an offer to take me to Creamfields and then buying tickets to SW4 (...... ommmm ........)

Back