Prague! - March 2012

Kierz

Evenin' all!

Off to Prague in March with the gf - I know there are some well traveled beings who grace this board with their presence!

After advice on anything that may be worthwhile, bars/clubs/restaurants/sights which are worth it, those that aren't!

Not done much of Eastern Europe at all - furthest East has been Berlin which I love to bits and try and get to yearly. Not sure what quite to expect!

Muchos Gracias! :p

What a fantastic city.

Like any big town there are lots of things to do. I got myself a copy of The Lonely Planet Prague and did about 3 of their structered walks, taking in many sights.

There are obvious places to visit, like Old Town Square and the Castle. I would suggest going into a locals "Beer Hall" whilst you are there for an endless supply of, well, beer.

Clubwise I went to Roxy (which is an old cinema :confused:)but not sure what the scene is like these days.

To get around, the bus and underground service is top notch.

Club-wise, I went to Roxy and a weird bar/club hybrid a good bit out of the centre (can't remember the name) - 3 levels, industrial, reggae, techno and live poetry, people openly rolling spliffs at the bar. There's another place in the centre where people openly smoke the herb.

It's not that massive a place for walking around; plenty of sight-seeing and bar opportunities. Go across the river and see the castle.

I went with my wife for my 30th and it was great. We stayed in the old town just beneath the castle http://www.checkinprague.com/prague-hotel-waldstein/, very nice place, we managed to get an apartment with seperate sleeping, living and kitchen area.

As for things to do, plenty, apart from the castle, the squares and of course the 'beer halls' which are great (and cheap, well they were 7 years ago!).

Didn't go 'clubbing' but we did go to a cracking little jazz club here http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=618 where the drink was a reasonable price and the atmosphere was electric......wasn't really into Jazz prior to this visit, but as its quite big over there, thought we'd give it a go and to be honest I've never looked back.

Looks like we all did the same things in Prague :lol:

Had a good night at Roxy. Castle, Stare Mesto (old town) - all musts.

Beer is so cheap it's like water 8)

If you're going to be there a few days, rent a car and take a day trip to Karlovy Vary. Very picturesque spa town.

Cheers for the responses everyone. Can't wait to get out there now. Will make sure I sample some of this beer for next to nothing! And if herb is about openly it'd be rude not to! Shall try and give a bit of a summary of how it went when I return! The c***s at Wizz Air already rescheduled my flight out meaning I have to go a night earlier but c'est la vie. My wallet is getting beat up from all angles at the minute so I expected some sort of carry on!

Bear in mind, it's not like the dam: you can't buy herb in shops. Plus I only saw it being used in a couple of bars. Still quite a surprising thing to come across, though!

The Cross Club is the weird one I was thinking of: http://www.crossclub.cz/cs/

It took us an age to find it (maybe we shouldn't have walked it..), but it was worth the trouble.

Yeah didn't think it was as liberal as the dam. Sounds slightly similar to a few of the places I've stumbled across in Berlin, a certain reggae boat party some may know of which resulted in me leaving rather.. Relaxed shall we say! No smoke at all has entered my precious lungs since that beautiful/God forsaken City when I last went in Dec.

Morbyd, how's the driving out there? Heard it is rather manic. Very limited experience driving around Europe - is it that bad? Drive a LOT in the UK just a bit sceptical if the roads are like a scene from the game destruction derby! :spank:

I didn't find it especially bad. As long as you're comfortable driving on the right (correct) side of the road, you should be fine. Moscow's much worse!

The Prague-Karlovy Vary road was narrow at points so you have to pass in the oncoming lane, if I remember correctly. I think it's the 2-lane highways that some people complain about.

Back