Pioneer Cdj 2000's vs 900's?

dantboy

Aight guys i'm upgrading my decks as i've had my 400's for a few years and they've been through the wars a bit. I'm seriously looking at either the 900's or 2000's with my favoured choice being the 900's due to the cost. I wanted mk3 1000's as i've been using them all summer but don't really want to pay a high price for old technology.(still love them!)

If i'm using a laptop with rekordbox and a pair of 900's does the small screen on the 900's really matter that much? As i'll be using the laptop screen to browse the tracks instead of the screen on the cdj.

Also on Rekordbox you can set hotcue's but there isn't hotcue's on the 900's. Is there anyway you can utilise the rekordbox hotcues on the 900's?

Anyone with any other views or points please put them across as i've been debating this since i got back from the season in Ibiza.(A mates lent me his 2000's for a week and had a few goes on another 900's)

Thanks in advance guys :D

I cant help you with your query :lol: But I just wondered how much you got paid to DJ in Ibiza? I would imagine its a lot more then the bar staff but could be very wrong. Is it easy or do you have to interview(on decks) or owt like that?

How much do you have to spend on this new set up?

What mixer do you have?
What sound system?

(I try and keep up to date with dj tech - own a set of CDJ 400s myself, and a set of gemini TTs)

depends on how much you use the hot cues in your sets.
I know Doorly doesn't like the 900's because it doesn't have hot cues.
If you have £3k to spend, then go for the 2000's.
I also second OlskiNotts reply by asking if you did a deck interview thing?

If money is no object, get the £2000s.

If it is, also have a look at the CDJ 850.
Cheaper, and does most of what the 900 does.

Adding to this, I'm also interested in what kind of interview you had. Cheers!

• CDJ 2000 - £1488 per deck
  • CDJ 900 - £1049 per deck
  • CDJ 850 - £769 per deck
  • CDJ 2000 supports DVD-Music playback - useless is any club which doesn't have another CDJ 2000, a DVJ 1000 or a DVJ X1.
  • All support MP3, USB sticks, etc.
  • CDJ 850 does not have the ProDJ link - it's useful for cutting down the amount of music you need, but most clubs don't use ProDJ. So you still need the full amount of CDs, USB sticks etc. Also useful if you have a mixer which supports it E.g. the DJM 900 or the DJM 2000. no other mixer supports it.
  • All support rekordbox
  • 850 doesn't have digital out, just standard RCA Stereo. 2000/900 have both.
  • 2000 has the nice screen, both the 900 and 850 display three lines of text.
  • All have Wave Display.
  • All use the same Jog Wheel, but the CDJ 850 is only good down to 1/75th of a fame. 2000/900 support 1/150th.
  • Only the 2000 has Hot cueing, needle drop and loop cutting.
  • All support the same tempo ranges. (+/- 6%, 10%, 16%, WIDE)

If it was my money, I'd get the 850s, and spend the rest on a new mixer, A denon X1700 if I could

In regards to pay for Dj'ing I didn't get that much to be honest. I PR'd for space in the day so that was my main source of income. Places tended to pay you in the form of free drink, which worked out pretty good as that was one of my main outgoing (plus other things :spank: )

I got a lucky break in regards to getting gigs. My house mate was playing, and i got asked if i played, i said i did so ran back an got my tunes and ended up playing a 3 1/2 hour set and got wasted along the way! Manager said i could play whenever i came down, and then over the next few weeks just got more involved in other places. Would be happy in helping anyone out next summer if there out there, cos I most definitely will be :D

My grand dad died whilst I was away so the money is coming from him and currently not sure how much it will be, i've been told it will be enough for an upgrade but i'm finding it hard to part with 3k for the 2000's. plus i want to get an allen and heath or pioneer 700/800. however wish money was no object but I have one eye on next summer :twisted:

1x Samson Servo 550watt stereo amplifier and 2x Alesis Monitor 2 Studio Monitors is my speakers Ikoda and currently have an old 600 mixer that is well an truly at the end of its time!

Few things to consider pal that a lot of people dont fully appreciate. You mention you are going to use laptop and rekordbox (RB). Be aware you cant play on the decks direct from rekordbox, box is a music management tool that allows you to put all the music you have on itunes and analyse onto a management system, you can then use a USB or HD card and create playlists on RB, put the playlists on to USB and plug those in to the decks and use them instead. If you want to use your laptop as a music sourcem you need to get tracktor scratch with time coded cd (cdj 850/900/2000 dont need time coded cd but its a faff to set up)

the cdj 200 is top of the bunch obv, I had these but found that it was great for using USB card in deck a and then linking up to deck b with ethernet cable enabling me to access all the tunes on USB on both decks, great, but totally useless if i play at a bar/club that still has cdj 1000s !

i sold my 2000s and with the cash got 850s and a DJM 700. I have just bought traktor scratch to play off lap top and still control via the deck.

Also, on the 900 & 850 there is no WAV display unless you anaylse all your music through RB.

hope this all helps. any questions please ask, il try to answer.

so the view i have of it now is RB is only used in the time before a set and not whilst your playing like on traktor? therefore answering my original question that i still can't utilise any hotcue's set on RB on the 900's.

hmmmm...... so traktor is the only was i could emulate the 2000's without actually having 2000's? if that makes sense......

kind of against using traktor tbh but open to different outlooks. i'm of to a mate's house in a bit who uses 900's with traktor so i guess i'll answet my own questions there!

thanks for your comment as thats answered more questions than i asked!:D :confused:

sooooo, just got back from my mates house who is running Traktor with 2x 900's an 2x Traktor X1's. Didn't really know what to expect but think my mind has changed! (again)

I'm now thinking a similar set up with the 850's as an option to keep the costs down so i can get a decent mixer while i'm at it. whats everyones view on that? just glad i've waited an had the chance to ask about on different forums to get a good idea.

BTW you can store cues etc on your usb/sd card for use on 900s. As I say, RB jus allows you to prep all your music before you pop on a drive and take off to your gig. I find the displays on my 850s and even the 2000s good but if you have 500 tracks on your drive its hard scrolling through with the knob, whereas easy to find on your laptop.

Look at a lot of the top djs now, theyre using traktor with vinyl and not even using CDJs

Dantboy, condolences for your granddad.

To be honest, I don't think that the CDJ 2000s are worth it, unless cash is no object.
If I had that kind of money, I'd grab myself a set of CDJ 850s. They do most of what you need, the rest of the stuff on the higher end models, tbh, don't tend to get used. You'll never use them in most clubs, as very few clubs I've been to actually have up to date DJ equipment. (The 'superclubs' are the exception)

Traktor and two X1

Yes if your thinking of having Traktor in the setup then CDJ's aren't a neccessity. If your gona have traktor and want to beatmatch on cdj's then to me i wouldnt spend lots of money on state of the art , latest models as you are only using them for beatmatching. All the top end stuff is being done within Traktor so you dont need to pay for those features in a cdj , if you know what i mean.

thanks for the replies. the reason i'd get the x1 is because it's a cheaper version of the efx units pioneer do, as long as your using traktor. and it also has the hot cues on it so for the money it costs me to get the x1 I effectively have everything on the 900's and x1 that the 2000's have. so saving around £900.

Dirk Bigler why do you say 2 x1's?

MiniMarc to me the CDJ's are a necessity tbh, I was not really into the idea of traktor at all until my mate showed me traktor pro 2 and the sample boxes, x1 functionality and general ease of arranging my music. I wouldn't be using it for any other reasons than the above and maybe some that i don't know yet.

If your gona be using the sample decks or extra loops / decks then 2 X1's are adviseable. Even with just 2 decks the X1 is a little cramped if you want to use all the features, and you have to have the SHIFT button engaged/on half the time which is easy to forget or get muddled up with. It depends how you play , in any rate you will want to remap alot of things on it

Back