Peter Hook ' Not living in th past'....

The objections were summed up most pointedly by another Mancunian music legend and fellow bassist, Mani, who claimed Hook's wallet was "stuffed with Ian Curtis' blood money".
Nice!

he is an ageing rockstar who has been culturally irrelevant since around 1994 - it is therefore inevitable that the nostalgia circuit is the only real means of making a living. man's gotta eat...

he is an ageing rockstar who has been culturally irrelevant since around 1994 - it is therefore inevitable that the nostalgia circuit is the only real means of making a living. man's gotta eat...

Totally agree. I'm a massive New Order/Joy Division fan and think things like this are crap, as a result I would not buy tickets for events like this. However, there are no pensions in the music business so can't knock the bloke, even if he is 'spoiling' it for some.

I think it is a bit dishonest when one member of a group or band goes out touring with hits from the group/band previous success. I think they are no better than a cover band. I would not pay for a ticket, CD, EP et al..........

I think it is a bit dishonest when one member of a group or band goes out touring with hits from the group/band previous success. I think they are no better than a cover band. I would not pay for a ticket, CD, EP et al..........

Can't agree on this one m8.

Going to see Roger Waters perform The Wall in May. Waters makes the point that technology available today was not available when the band did The Wall tour originally. I would much rather see the remaining Floyd memebers perform together but as this seems fairly unlikely if not impossible, Waters solo will do nicely thank you :D:D

should Paul McCartney not be allowed to perform Beatles records then?

you also seem to be missing the point that when an artist of a certain age performs a body of work live, than that stimulates interest in the albums which all go back up the charts, this in turn means more radio play & spinoff publicity for the other artists in their old band, not to mention lucrative royalties, when a greatest hits is released - nobody is really a loser. Obviously this mainly applies to the veterans whose fans are going to be less internet-savvy. If you're young, coming through now - your only hope of making a living is on the live circuit and even that is saturated. Otherwise forget it. Rock RIP.

he's a great DJ though.... :lol::lol::lol::lol:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I saw him "DJ" once. Trainwreck!

But I admit it... if he brought his JD tribute show to Moscow, I'd go :oops:

However, as much as I loved New Order (and I have every album and a batch of 12-inch vinyl), I never thought of them as a great live act. To be fair, I saw them at an amphitheater which might not be the best venue for them. Small club setting probably better.

However, as much as I loved New Order (and I have every album and a batch of 12-inch vinyl), I never thought of them as a great live act. To be fair, I saw them at an amphitheater which might not be the best venue for them. Small club setting probably better.

Agreed. They lack personality and character. If you were to form the most boring live act in the world, Sumner, Hook and Morris would be leading candidates for the positions.

should Paul McCartney not be allowed to perform Beatles records then?

you also seem to be missing the point that when an artist of a certain age performs a body of work live, than that stimulates interest in the albums which all go back up the charts, this in turn means more radio play & spinoff publicity for the other artists in their old band, not to mention lucrative royalties, when a greatest hits is released - nobody is really a loser. Obviously this mainly applies to the veterans whose fans are going to be less internet-savvy. If you're young, coming through now - your only hope of making a living is on the live circuit and even that is saturated. Otherwise forget it. Rock RIP.

Free will and all, they can perform I just will not pay for it. I think it is a big difference between the lead singer in front of a band and someone who back up sang or just played an instrument now fronting. ie sting sing police songs good, but one of the other would be a sham. just my opinion

Agreed. They lack personality and character. If you were to form the most boring live act in the world, Sumner, Hook and Morris would be leading candidates for the positions.

I think you're right - I was never arsed about seeing them live - joy division might have been a different matter though

+ there's certain material that simply cannot be replicated on stage

'perfect kiss' for instance for me is all about the last hour at a house party on the sunday morning when people are starting to flag and barely able to move from the settee and the sun is starting to filter through the blinds - it has that kind of resonance you wouldn't get at a concert

talking of new order....

has anyone heard what george michael has done to true faith?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF4hEhAcSCw

as someone who has always had time for george michael, that is quite frankly embarrassing...

Heard he was to record a cover alright............first time I have listened to it.

Talk about over production to death! Why would somebody with such a great vocal distort their voice so much.

If the lyrics were left alone it might have been interesting.........

delusional - he thinks the only way to reconnect with the yoot is by going autotune-crazy

Talk about over production to death! Why would somebody with such a great vocal distort their voice so much.

It sounds like he's been listening to James Blake (except James Blake is great). It's an awful murdering of a classic tune.

He should be fined £50.

Last edited by a moderator:
That George Michael cover is incredible. Don't they have the equivalent of an equity card that can be confiscated for crimes against music?

Back