outlook receives but won't send

grego

IT help needed please.

outlook (on two different computers) receives ok but won't send.

all the port info is right, was literally working one minute then not the next.

thought it was my ip address, so i turned the router on and off (this changes the IP) and still no joy.

same was happening on thunderbird but i read somewhere to change the smtp port to something different, so i did and it worked.

any ideas??

I know it seems basic but have you tried looking in the Tools / Options / Mail setup - Send/Receive screen? You might have turned someting off accidentally. I don't know much about computers but I use outlook and that's the first place I'd check.

My "send immediately when cnonected" button is ticked. make sure yours is!

it's not that.

i get an error message when i try to send "can't connect to your outgoing server" bla bla bla

you should turn on SMTP logging.

Go to tools, options, other, advanced and check the box enable logging. Then try
to send another email. This will fail and should be in the logs which can be found here
C:\Documents and Settings\<logon name>\Local Settings\temp\OPMLOG.LOG

This file should give you some idea of what is wrong!

Hope this helps

OOh. Matt's post reminded me of one thing.

How is your network set up when you log in to WiFi? If you're on Vista or Win 7 and you've classified your wifi connection as "public" then it might not send mail properly.

Assuming you've got a good firewall/anti-virus program, go ahead and classify your network as "home" and it should work.

it's vista. morbs - it was already on home. still no joy.

rome alone - i set up the logging, but can't find the file location or file. what should it say in it?

???

i'd been there and no joy.

thinking my only option is to switch to thunderbird (as that worked after i changed the port number!), bit of a pain importing everything over.

thanks anyway

I had this problem once.. it was the simplest of things that cured it.. I took all the passwords out including the server port numbers and the pop and smtp settings and reinstalled outlook and replaced all the above and bingo.. Not sure if you'll have the same joy i did but still worth a knock.. Who's your isp provider? They sometimes change port numbers and forget to give you the nod...;)

Did you try cleaning out your messages. Deleting Trash, Sent and other folders. It may be an "insufficient space" problem with your network, usually that comes and goes depending on the number of people using it...........

Back