oooops scratched hire care...help!!

xxVic-zeexx

so what problems am i facing ?! :spank:

Its on the rear corner back bumper...nothing major,but i dont really know what happens in these situations seeing the other parties insurer is paying for the rental everyday.

I sent the original copy of the rental agreement to my solicitor and only took a photocopy of the main part of the receipt and agreement so cant read any bastard small print that was all over the sheet.

I paid a 25 deposit so im guessing i wont see that again,which is fair enough but please say that would be it ?!

so what problems am i facing ?! :spank:

Its on the rear corner back bumper...nothing major,but i dont really know what happens in these situations seeing the other parties insurer is paying for the rental everyday.

I sent the original copy of the rental agreement to my solicitor and only took a photocopy of the main part of the receipt and agreement so cant read any bastard small print that was all over the sheet.

I paid a 25 deposit so im guessing i wont see that again,which is fair enough but please say that would be it ?!

Oops. Hire/loan cars are necessary but amazingly evil things sometimes :!: You need to get a copy of the small print back and check the hire terms. There may be a further excess liability which is nothing to do with the claim. It really all depends on the arrangement... did they ask you for a credit card when you picked up the car ?

Did you take out insurance on it? Does the policy you have for your car insurance cover hire cars? If either is the case you have no worries.

Check the rental agreement first as there will probably be an excess. If that's the case, it might be worth getting it repaired at Halfords as they have a bumper scratch repair service and will prob be cheaper.

I thought i will be ok not taking a copy of the small print :rolleyes: typical :spank:

Direct Line are paying for the hire of the car and i paid a deposit of 25 pounds, but i aint gona lie he was talking and talking and talking and i was just like :eek: riiiight ok.

Deny all knowledge ?! :lol:

Im thinking the worst that could happen is i lose the 25 deposit?!

Did you take out insurance on it? Does the policy you have for your car insurance cover hire cars? If either is the case you have no worries.

Im kinda guessing i was insured on it, seeing you arent allowed to drive any car uninsured - right ?!

Im kinda guessing i was insured on it, seeing you arent allowed to drive any car uninsured - right ?!

You will be insured yes....but most car rental insurances have an excess that you have to pay if you damage the car.
That's what you have to find out.

get it fixed if you can, one of these smartrepair companies or something as sometimes even for a small bump the excess can bee over 500 pound!

aaaaaaaaaand the winner is....Jay, well winner with regards to being the most right.

The insurance i apparently had covers me for everything :D

When i went 'thank god for that' he laughed and said 'why what you done' haha :lol:

Also get to drop off the car at another branch closer to my BF's car so thats saving me the effort of trapsing across london on the underground - what a touch 8)

Hang about....How come he won?
I want a stewards enquiry.
He was talking about your own car insurance paying....which would not be the case or too sensible as you would lose your no claims bonus.
Us that said that you were insured by the rental companies insurers but there could have been an excess should have been awarded the premier slot.
Hmmmmph...(goes off and sulks)

I think Jay meant either a car hire insurance or using ones own. If I remember right in the States you don't usually have an excess on a hire car policy and if you use your own (in UK that's seldom allowed on a loan car) then it's whatever arrangement as to excess liability you have.

In Europe, separate insurance through the hire company is usually mandatory on hire/loan cars, except for the 1st £x - which you can either pay an additional premium for or insure separately if you don't want to pay it in the event there's damage. Good thing is it seems any excess loss is covered under whatever arrangement is in place in Vic's case, so she doesn't have to worry herself about a nasty sting !

I remember a certain VW dealer used to make you assume an £800 excess liability on a loan car if yours went in for service :spank:. It all depends on the contract with these things - as you rightly said in answer to the original question.

Hang about....How come he won?
I want a stewards enquiry.
He was talking about your own car insurance paying....which would not be the case or too sensible as you would lose your no claims bonus.
Us that said that you were insured by the rental companies insurers but there could have been an excess should have been awarded the premier slot.
Hmmmmph...(goes off and sulks)

My car US insurance policy covers me worldwide for damage to hire/ rental cars. I don't have to take out additional insurance to cover access as long as the damage to rental is below $50,000. I don't have to pay a cent. It does go against me at renewal time, but a minor sting is better than a major sting when you are returning a hire car. That can ruin your day or holiday.

Back