One More

Ikoda

Stumbled across this a moment ago, thought I'd share

http://www.1more.co.uk/

Looks like it could be a good watch, about the clubbing culture, how it grew in popularity, to where it was a couple a years ago, including the decline of superclubs

I posted a review for this on Amazon not long ago...

I expected the worst when I ordered this...one look at the DJ line-up on the back was enough to make my toes curl. Did I really want to watch a 2 hr docco of vox pop egoism? Everyone lived their own version of this era and whilst I loved some of these nights, much of the 90s that I loved wasn't owned by the corporate pay party mafia and its breed of vomitous 'superstar' cretins. (respected producers and New York/Chicago dons aside of course)

But that said it's a great effort. Some really good footage and interesting stories divided into chapters set by the area and venue which provides a good narrative.

Only criticisms:

* Not enough music - though I can accept getting rights would've been a nightmare.
* Not enough history - whilst the clubs of the era told a story...what about the underbelly of travelling sound systems like Spiral Tribe, Circus Warp, Eze Love et al? Purely focusing on the pay party movement does leave the story only half told. Gatecrasher 99/00 really wasn't that relevant unless you were a Mixmag gimp.
* Trade. HOW is it possible to mention Turnmills without talking about Laurence Malice and the first ever licensed after hours club in London (the UK?) This isn't subjective, it's a massive oversight. Gallery Shmallery frankly.

Good effort tho. ;)

Yes.

Just a bit superclubby - but if that was your scene you'll love it!

Packed with great interviews.

Thanks for the tip off - ordered!

Beginning to feel like I have too many of these talking heads clubbing doccos though - particularly as I already have the Party Monster Limelight one (docco not film).

Always enjoy Maestro though - and can't wait for the West End 'Godfather of Disco' one to come out.

Where did you order from, Rob?

I looked at the trailer and followed a few links, only option I could find was NTSC format from Amazon (I do not buy a lot of film so am probably being totally stoopid here).

Yeah I bought the NTSC version - there probably isn't a PAL one.

I've unlocked my DVD player so it's multi region - very easy to do!

Watched Limelight last night - was pleasantly surprised as it's really nicely paced - and a different subject matter than the others.

I learned lots I didn't already know about Giuliani, New York's demise and 'that' corrupt court case.

Nice to see the UK getting a name check for being so influential in the post disco landscape. 8)

Back