Nick Clegg

Buckley

He's certainly not the most popular man in the country right now. I've yet to see the apology. Is it that snivel-some?

What does this tuition fee scandal mean to me?

Well, seeing as we are in our family, middle of the road working class, then quite a lot.

Mr and Mrs Average earners, 2 children, 1.8 holidays a year, used car each, borderline 40% tax bracket (jist got yet?) No benefits, pay our way for everything yada yada.....

It means that either if we let/encourage our daughters, both of which are of reasonable potential go to Uni, then we either saddle ourselves with masses of debt or they are liable for it. Either way, I can see it costing us in excess of £50,000 each to send them. Is that really a sensible idea? A good investment maybe?

I had better get saving up, 5 years to go! A uturn perhaps, no I think not.

Cheers Condems.

It will be a joyous and wonderful occasion when the two faced slimeball loses his seat in Sheffield. In my lifetime I cannot think of a more repugnant politician and vile specimen of a human being. To put it politely.

It will be a joyous and wonderful occasion when the two faced slimeball loses his seat in Sheffield. In my lifetime I cannot think of a more repugnant politician and vile specimen of a human being. To put it politely.

Word.

Apart from Osbourne.

It means that either if we let/encourage our daughters, both of which are of reasonable potential go to Uni, then we either saddle ourselves with masses of debt or they are liable for it. Either way, I can see it costing us in excess of £50,000 each to send them. Is that really a sensible idea? A good investment maybe?

University isn't everything. My biggest regret was not starting my apprenticeship straight from school. As is the same at every school, a few months before doing my GCSEs, the school held career days where all of the local colleges (no schools with 6th forms in Hampshire) would come to the school to promote their courses and talk about the options for school leavers. The line that came from the school was basically 'pick a couple of these colleges to go and talk to, unless you feel you're unlikely to get the grades required. In that case, go to this meeting about apprenticeships'. I think that's wrong on so many levels.

So I slipped through the net, went to college not knowing what I wanted to do, didn't do as well as I should have done and dropped out. On advice from my girlfriend's father, I looked into doing an apprenticeship as an electrician. Best choice I ever made. In this day and age, skills and work experience are so much more valuable than a degree in something that's not really relevant to a specific job.

My sister who is just over a year younger than me, got 4 good A levels, went to Bristol university and got a first in English Literature. She graduated 2 years ago, and has only just managed to get into a job that could potentially be some kind of career, and the starting salary is pretty poor. Most of the last 2 years she's struggled through working in a call centre for British Gas. So she's racked up a huge debt and struggled to get employed, whereas I got myself qualified in something useful, and set myself up with a career for life with great opportunities to go after with a bit of thought and planning. Could even look at going to university now after nearly 10 years of working life as the diplomas in engineering and management are follow-ons to the qualifications you gain in apprenticeships.

The education system wants people to stay in education beyond school and college so will never do much to promote practical careers, but it's definitely something I'd encourage my kids to consider having seen how well people can do out of it, and how graduates struggle when it comes to finding a career.

The education system wants people to stay in education beyond school and college so will never do much to promote practical careers, but it's definitely something I'd encourage my kids to consider having seen how well people can do out of it, and how graduates struggle when it comes to finding a career.

Couldn't agree more.

University isn't everything. My biggest regret was not starting my apprenticeship straight from school. As is the same at every school, a few months before doing my GCSEs, the school held career days where all of the local colleges (no schools with 6th forms in Hampshire) would come to the school to promote their courses and talk about the options for school leavers. The line that came from the school was basically 'pick a couple of these colleges to go and talk to, unless you feel you're unlikely to get the grades required. In that case, go to this meeting about apprenticeships'. I think that's wrong on so many levels.

So I slipped through the net, went to college not knowing what I wanted to do, didn't do as well as I should have done and dropped out. On advice from my girlfriend's father, I looked into doing an apprenticeship as an electrician. Best choice I ever made. In this day and age, skills and work experience are so much more valuable than a degree in something that's not really relevant to a specific job.

My sister who is just over a year younger than me, got 4 good A levels, went to Bristol university and got a first in English Literature. She graduated 2 years ago, and has only just managed to get into a job that could potentially be some kind of career, and the starting salary is pretty poor. Most of the last 2 years she's struggled through working in a call centre for British Gas. So she's racked up a huge debt and struggled to get employed, whereas I got myself qualified in something useful, and set myself up with a career for life with great opportunities to go after with a bit of thought and planning. Could even look at going to university now after nearly 10 years of working life as the diplomas in engineering and management are follow-ons to the qualifications you gain in apprenticeships.

Going through higher education, with no actual career plan, was the biggest and most expensive mistake of my life so far.

If/when I have children I'd only encourage them to follow a similar path if they knew what they wanted to do career wise. It's hard to say what you want to be at 14/15/16yr old but to continue in education just to put off getting a job was silly :spank:

Back