New York Shopping Advice Please!

Jam Man

Hi New Yorkers :D

I'm off the the Big Apple for work in a couple of weeks and wanted some advice on where to shop for clothes while I'm there.

I went about 5 years ago and got some stuff from South Street Sea Port and a few shops near the Empire State but as I will have limited time (one afternoon) does anyone have any advice?

I'm not looking for club wear, just jeans, combats, t-shirts, sweaters & shirts.

General wear really....

(I'm staying on Lexington Avenue)

Thanks 8)

Not meaning to sound rude but this a forum for Ibiza, I'm sure if you look there's a new York forum out there

There's also a fair few people from NY who frequent this forum to whom many of us offer advice on travel to Europe in general.

Clubbing Open Chat
About anything you want

So if you wind your neck in you won't sound rude...:rolleyes:

Pipe down, Loz... we're all family here!

Jamster, I'd start at Macy's and just work your way around that area of mid-town.
Address: 151 West 34th St.

Not meaning to sound rude but this a forum for Ibiza, I'm sure if you look there's a new York forum out there

IMO Sack off 5th Ave and...57th St. The shops are good, though nothing more than what London has to offer.

If you've been before, you'll know yourself if you want to check out the big 3 of Macy's Bloomingdales and... the other one who's name escapes me. I like them, tho they are pretty scattered and might be an issue time wise.

If you're on a trip for bargains, then the places you mention are the only ones I know of.

I'd look to focus on what you can't get over here, Starting with all the trnedy wendy places in Soho and Greenwich Village. I would menton specifics, though there's too many of them and I just can't remember them. :D

If you're on a trip for bargains, then the places you mention are the only ones I know of.

I'd look to focus on what you can't get over here, Starting with all the trnedy wendy places in Soho and Greenwich Village. I would menton specifics, though there's too many of them and I just can't remember them. :D
The thing is, everything is a bargain in the States! It's just so cheap compared to Europe. And with the dollar now basically worth nothing, your pounds will go even further ;)

Agree with Dan - the boutiques down in Soho is another good idea.

theres an outlet village about a couple of hrs away from NYC, its a day trip and i wish i went myself, as one of the girls at the hostel i stayed got lots for her money!m

I went there a few years back and there was a store called Century 21 or something like that near Ground Zero. It was like an outlet store but was so cheap. However you did have to dig for items. European section was a lot better and had all the main makes Ted Baker, Stone Island etc. Even had that silly Stone Island jacket with the gas mask on the hood!! Apologies if any off you have this jacket ;)

Get off the subway at LaFayette (spelling?) , around there are loads of shops , especially good for trainers . Theres a Stussy shop , Alife , Supreme , 55DSL etc

agree on macy's and bloomy's, altho you could spend a whole day in both of the feckers.

it's like selfridges except MUCH bigger. and if you're anything like me, that will therefore entail just walking around for even longer without actually buying anything.

i found the smaller shops in harlem a much more pleasant experience, similar to the village like dan has recommended.

viva nueva york!8)

I went there a few years back and there was a store called Century 21 or something like that near Ground Zero. It was like an outlet store but was so cheap. However you did have to dig for items. European section was a lot better and had all the main makes Ted Baker, Stone Island etc. Even had that silly Stone Island jacket with the gas mask on the hood!! Apologies if any off you have this jacket ;)

Century 21 is a must - make it your first stop. They have low prices on a wide range of clothing/items- from basic, no-frills underwear to incredibly expensive designer suits (nice children's section too;))...great shoe store as well, right next door - it is located downtown, on Cortland street, directly across from 'Ground Zero'/World Trade Center, very accessible by subway (from midtown/lexington ave it shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes to get there. If time allows, follow Minimarc's advice and wander around SOHO/NOHO/E. Village area (lafayette ave. & broadway)- lots of shops, from small, independent boutiques to semi-large department stores. Bloomingdale's/Macy's/Lord & Taylor/Saks are great department stores and well worth visiting, but if you are looking to save some money, go to Century 21.

I spent all of November and December 2007 in NYC. Century 21 was ok, bought a wallet there and they even debited it from my card in euros, which goes to show how popular the store is with us tourists. Don't know if they'd do the same with pounds.

Even the boys in my company (we were all from Finland) preferred the Union Square area though. Along the square are excellent and very good value Diesel and Puma stores + a Virgin Megastore + "Filene's Basement" which isn't a basement but a multi-storey store similar to Century 21. Except cleaner. It's especially good for womenswear but there's an entire floor for menswear, plus a big part of the footwear floor is men's shoes.

In the streets surrounding Union Square you would find Banana Republic, G-Star Jeans, Rugby (the cheapest version of Ralph Lauren if you're into really "preppy" stuff) etc. etc. too many to mention, have a look here, type "Union Square New York" then "clothes"

http://maps.google.com

and youll find plenty of places to go.

I think one of us actually was and still is employed by the famous company that more recently started to make mobile phones, but that's not me :)

Standard NYPD / FDNY t-shirts :oops::lol:...

....plus some K-Swiss trainers and a Spyder Snowboard coat that is usually £300 in the UK, I got it for $125!!! :eek:

Bought Mini Jam I some Lightning McQueen Crocs that he hasn't taken off his feet yet, bless! 8)

Oh and a huge Mr Goodbar and some perfume for Mrs Jam ;)

Back